Sony Got a few things for the RX1

rpavich

Veteran
Well..I decided that this is a camera that I'd like to keep.

I got a grip for it (because it's smallish feeling to me) and I got a HVL-43AM flash for it so I could bounce and trigger other flashes when necessary. It will (it seems) control the Sony HVL-43AM wirelessly also....so that's a really good feature.

I took it to work today because Iv'e taken LOTS of images of work friends with my Canon gear of the years and so I knew what the standard was. Well....of course the RX1 held it's own.

Very very effortless to get shots that are amazing.

I'll post some when i can.

Which grip did you get?

I have been considering purchasing the Fotodiox one for my RX1R, but does the camera really benefit from a grip that does not utilize extra batteries? Or is it more about adding stability and ergonomics to an already small camera body?

Thanks.

Which grip did you get?

I have been considering purchasing the Fotodiox one for my RX1R, but does the camera really benefit from a grip that does not utilize extra batteries? Or is it more about adding stability and ergonomics to an already small camera body?

Thanks.

Yep...that's the one I got. I got the package with the square hood, the soft button (crap) and the grip.

The grip just allows you to get a good...well...grip on the camera one handed...and it's great for that. And it gives it a bit more "size" so it doesn't feel as "dinky" in my hand....It gives something to grab onto and not keep mashing but buttons accidentally.

The square lens hood is really nice too...bayonet mount.

That's a good deal on the package. I see the fotodiox hood alone for $69.95. I am just using a generic 49mm hood and a nice grip I found on eBay.

A cell pic is as good as it gets...sorry....
20130807_044707.jpg

Looks a nice package.

One word of caution. I normally work with a softie on the shutter release but I recall seeing a picture of a RX-1 with its shutter release sheared off by someone using a softie. Put me off putting one on the camera.

It also put me off using a mechanical remote shutter release.

LouisB

rpavich, me too. I'm hoping the same... so far feels ok though. Must be my big square manly shoulders, yeah right!

Let us know how it is because I am looking for a strap to supplement the factory RX1R strap. One of the straps I am looking at is the Crumpler Industry Disgrace.

I bought the viewfinder and the Fotodiox camera kit. I heard the lens hood can jiggle a tiny bit. Does yours?

I had to put a bit of neoprene underneath the shoulder pad of the Gordy's strap or it would slip a bit....I just cut the shoulder pad of a Optech strap up and double back taped it in place.

Also, I don't have a problem with the fotodiox hood, no jiggle...it fits fine.

That crumper looks like more strap than I'm willing to haul around...I wanted "small and sleek" for the RX1... :)

This is a camera that's fun to dress up. I started off with a gordy strap, thumbs up grip, bug soft release and Zeiss OVF; then tried the Sony EVF with a RRS grip. This setup basically gives me two different cameras. The OVF setup is for street shooting and the EVF setup is for everything else. Of all these add on's I was surprised to find the bug soft release made the biggest difference. Using a knuckle on the soft release lets me brace in a way that gives better stability (or at least the perception of). I've also found the EVF makes manual focus much more comfortable and enjoyable. So long as you can get physically close enough there's very little this camera can't do.

This is a camera that's fun to dress up. I started off with a gordy strap, thumbs up grip, bug soft release and Zeiss OVF; then tried the Sony EVF with a RRS grip. This setup basically gives me two different cameras. The OVF setup is for street shooting and the EVF setup is for everything else. Of all these add on's I was surprised to find the bug soft release made the biggest difference. Using a knuckle on the soft release lets me brace in a way that gives better stability (or at least the perception of). I've also found the EVF makes manual focus much more comfortable and enjoyable. So long as you can get physically close enough there's very little this camera can't do.

Agreed...that's basically how I work it.

I just padded my grip up with craft foam, double back foam taped onto the handle, and upholstered with gaffers tape...it doesn't look bad at all and it is MUCH easier to hold being that there is more to grab now.

Purchased the EVF today. Another few small accessories and my RX1R travel kit will be complete. I can make a list of all the accessories I have purchased so far if anyone would want to see it.

Mine came today. Grip helps a lot to hold it. It is better then the third party OMD grip that I have. Oly finder is a good match also except the gray color outside. It can be useful with the pen cameras also esp with their fast af. With fixed lens, I find the optical viewfinder useful so far esp hearing the RX1 lens focusing and stopping. I haven't used it outside where I may not hear that. RX1 af speed/sound felt like dp1/2 and ep1 with 20mm lens, but so far it is accurate. The contax g lenses with nex 6 & af adapter is louder and maybe a little slower, but they will compliment RX1 on the longer side w/ 1.5x nex multiplier.

RRS.jpg

I just picked up a RRS tripod head to go with the grip. This is very high quality equipment, I'm very impressed with it. The RRS grip is excellent but I still prefer my thumbs up for size, weight and comfort. Now if only someone could design and market a Sony Multi-Interface shoot-through compatible thumbs-up grip it'd be perfect. Photography is as it always has been, all about compromise.

Back