Google+ Revisited

As you may (or not) be aware, I had a lot of reservations about google plus, and as a result, deleted my account. I discovered later that unless you also get rid of your email address, that account will lie in wait for you, for when you decide to try again.

And I did. Try again. This time I have begun slowly instead of adding everyone I ever met.

I've discovered a very healthy photography subgroup (theme days, photographers pimping their stuff and so on). The theme days are interesting. I've just entered a photograph for #MoodyMonday and after I worked out the profile linking and hashtag function, it was all go. I'll also be entering #Caturday fairly regularly.

Ray Bilcliff, one of the photogs I have just this morning discovered, also runs a blog in which he has posted a very lengthy list of theme days, as well as their curators, which gives even more links to more photographers.... very very useful. His blog is worth a visit in any case; lovely photography, all worth a look.

For anyone who has been a bit doubtful regarding google plus and its usefulness, seems like its picking up the pace and might be worth a second look for those who, like me, bailed out after a few weeks. Also, if we wanted to have an SC group, it would be as simple as hashtagging and linking to Amin's profile... if he wanted to do that... #seriouscompacts curated/managed/whatever by +Amin Sabet would work. You would also only post to other SC people, if you didnt want the post to be public. I'm not certain of its value but its looking like a few people are doing that and making the posts public, thus getting more exposure. All my photography posts are public.

Anyway... might be time to look again, folks.

I gave up on google plus. The biggest issue I had was when they suspended my account due to the name, then had the nerve to ask me to send them a copy of a legal ID, which doesn't necessarily go to google staff, but to moderators. Either way, too much baggage.

One day, while browsing through my Gmail on the account that I use for G+ I came across a long list of email addresses in the contacts section. Assuming these were random spammers and such that Gmail adds to your contacts unless you tell it not to, I deleted them all.

Oops. Turns out these were all the email addresses for the people in my G+ circles. On my next visit to G+ - empty circles. I took a while to decide whether to start all over again but in the end I did. In fact, I deleted everything and started from scratch.

I like G+ - and I write as someone who does not like 'social' networks. I have found a lot of great photographers, great websites, great blogs and, as Sue says, gradually more and more features and functions that are photographer specific and photographer friendly are appearing; too many to keep track of.

I also like that it is not something that tries to run and organise my life (yes I'm thinking of Facebook). I can dip in and out as I please when the mood suits me. I think it's a valuable addition to all the other forums, blogs, websites, photohosts, podcasts etc., that are out there for the photographer.

When i get the time I'll try and sign up on Google+, I've been looking for somewhere to start kind of a photoblog, somewhere with a social aspect where I can keep in contact with people from here and my other photog friends, hopefully Google+ will be that place and as a result it'll get me shooting more lol

I've just signed up today (it was a long and boring meeting ;) ) You can find me as "LightmancerGB" - I'll explore over the next few days. Feel free to link.

Don't quote me on this, but when they review your profile, it will be suspended because they don't want usernames. They want real names (even if fake). They then suspended mine and asked for a copy of my passport, so I told them "no thanks".

Jimmy if you hover over anyone's name a box will appear allowing you to that person to any circle or circles you have set up. Alternatively if you click on a person's highlighted name it will take you to a stream of posts from that person. That will give you a good idea of whether it is someone you want to circle. That page will also give you the option of adding the person to your circle.

You'll find me here if you want to add me. No obligation of course:)

Is there a Serious Compacts.com circle?

To be honest, for forums, I find limitations to trying to network a forum everywhere, when the network is the forum. I also run a forum and as the networking via facebook took hold, the posting has reduced and gone to individual walls, rather than developing a cliqueless community.

SC has here, flickr, and so on.

Back