Sony Goodbye Sony Nex 6 ...

Fuji should *really* consider offering Peaking via firmware update for the current gen bodies (X Pro X-E). They'd be stupid not to...

I love my fuji XE1 and indeed the ooc jpgs are superb, but as you say it's a special camera and not for everybody and it does lack some things , hence why i prefer the omd as a second body (faster single af, more lens options, telezoom, macro, ...)

I do the same thing I just use a D700 when I need to shoot a bit faster. Actually lately I've been using it for manual focus lenses. I got a couple of Voigtlanders, a older Nikon 20mm, and a Lester Dine 105mm (absolutely amazing lens). So maybe it's not faster......:) I'm trying to slow down even more. It cuts down on the time spent in front of the computer.

Fuji should *really* consider offering Peaking via firmware update for the current gen bodies (X Pro X-E). They'd be stupid not to...

Not to be a contrarian, but having tried peaking on NEX, it's really just not the same as using a big optical viewfinder for manual focus. I suppose it's a good compromise since a lot of these cameras don't have optical viewfinders. I've never even bothered getting adapters for the Fuji cameras. The lenses are as good as the Nikon ones I have so there really isn't a point. The Fuji 60mm is the only macro I've used that is as good as the Lester Dine. I suppose I'm a bit curious about the split image focus patch on the new X100 but I'm not buying it because of that. I doubt I would ever use manual focus with it. Focus by wire is just terrible.

Not to be a contrarian, but having tried peaking on NEX, it's really just not the same as using a big optical viewfinder for manual focus. I suppose it's a good compromise since a lot of these cameras don't have optical viewfinders. I've never even bothered getting adapters for the Fuji cameras. The lenses are as good as the Nikon ones I have so there really isn't a point. The Fuji 60mm is the only macro I've used that is as good as the Lester Dine. I suppose I'm a bit curious about the split image focus patch on the new X100 but I'm not buying it because of that. I doubt I would ever use manual focus with it. Focus by wire is just terrible.

Well, I was using DSLR's until last year (pretty much same time) and I would never ever use MF, found it terribly intimidating and a hassle. Enters NEX, tried AF, was a bit baffled by how unfast it was, so immediately switched to MF with peaking, and have stuck to that since then. I can truly say I would never had adopted NEX in the first place without Peaking. I was coming from a very fast performing GX-1 (and an even faster and better D700 before that) and I couldn't adapt to the 5N's AF (lack of) speed. Peaking made the NEX experience possible for me.

I'm still with the NEX5. I'd like to play with some Fuji-ness but budget doesn't allow for extra cameras. The NEX does a lot of what I want from it, and I think most of the things I can't get it to do are due to me, not it. In the upgrades I haven't seen anything that's a good enough reason to sell what I've got and buy another, losing money in the process. I'd love a viewfinder, but not enough to need to spend a few hundred quid. When things are good I'll probably still get the X10 for some fun and the handling experience, but in terms of the photos I, like some others, don't really notice which camera people take things with. Ignorance is bliss!

FWIW I spend a good deal of time on TalkNEX and it seems to me that there are a good deal more folks joining that forum than leaving at the moment. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that daily I am seeing new folks introduce themselves.

Agreed. The community there is growing. I meant to just encourage the OP that he isn't alone.

People will always be switching systems I suppose and in no way to i want ppl to dislike NEX, because they are great little cameras

I like that I can buy whatever legacy lenses I can afford and get them working with it. I'd LOVE the E-mount long lens but I cant justify it, even with my christmas money. I need to put it towards getting my sax patched up - she's old and leaky.

People will always be switching systems I suppose and in no way to i want ppl to dislike NEX, because they are great little cameras

Absolutely. I love switching. It's just so much fun to try something different. That being said, and being Nexless as of today, I would totally consider having NEX again in the future if the lens line-up grows a bit in a useful direction, and if AF performance gets truly boosted. NEX rock, no doubt.

The AF has never bothered me much (not even on the first nex'es) but mainly the lens selection
But also when the first nex came out there weren't much alternatives... m4/3 was still growing up then , fuji had no ilc cameras at all and there we X100's , X10s or rx100 cameras...

Absolutely. I love switching. It's just so much fun to try something different. That being said, and being Nexless as of today, I would totally consider having NEX again in the future if the lens line-up grows a bit in a useful direction, and if AF performance gets truly boosted. NEX rock, no doubt.

Wat system are you using now ? ;)

I've had the NEX-5, NEX-C3 and ordered a 7 when they were first announced, had it, used it with adapted lenses, no kit lens then sold it. Since then I've had, Fuji-X100, X-Pro1 w/bunch of Contax glass, a Leica x1, and a Canon 1DS MKII, EOS-M which I sold to get a really nice used NEX-7 again, now I have the Zeiss 24 1.8, an A mount adapter which I use with an 85 1.4, finally a little Voigtlander 15mm I couldn't be happier.
It's just a tool, there's no mojo, no look, it simply captures every detail quickly, efficiently, beautifully.
I came back.

I have had the Nex 3 and 5n. The only reason I even keep the Nex around is that it makes a good universal digital back for old film lenses I still have around. If I ever sell the old lenses that require the Nex body then the Nex will soon follow. I also have a Ricoh gxr w/ m module as well.. If it was not for the fact that I have some lenses that need a shorter lens to sensor distance, the Nex would have been sold ages ago.. The iq from the 12mp sensor looks a lot better than the 16mp of the Nex to my eye (just MHO). The UI of the gxr is also much better..

The sigma dp Merrill series and the Fuji x100 and xp1 are the cameras I currently use the most. I really like these two camera systems the most.

Gary

Back