Sony Goodbye Sony Nex 6 ...

Wolf

Veteran
It's been a while that i've doubting about my sony nex 6.
ATM I don't have any native lenses for it (just some vintage konica lenses) and I finally decided to sell my nex 6.

Why ?
Is it a bad camera ? no , no, not at all
It's just that since I have the Fuji X-E1 that I barely reach for the nex and I have just bought myself the OMD too.
The Fuji with 35mm and 18-55 (according to the review) render images with a much nicer look then the nex, and some really intresting lenses are coming...
The Omd fills the gap of the fuji with the possibility to add native macro lenses and a telezoom (and let us not forget the 45,75 and 12mm)

I don't see any reason to keep the nex as a 3rd body as two cameras is enough atm , I prefer some good glass then instead.
The only very good lens the nex has is the 50mm and the zeiss, but 950 euro for a non stabilized 1.8 lens is too much (the fuji 35mm f1.4 is only 499 for example)
The sigma 19/30 are great lenses, but obsolete when using the fuji 18-55 2.8-4 with OIS...

Also I feel that nex renders images a bit too.. hmmm "digital" and that on the internet there is very few support forums and sites dedicated to only the nex (if you compare this to fuji X or m4/3 for example)

So again, nothing wrong with the nex 6, it's a very good camera but... I just miss something about it that makes me want to grab it and go take photos

Anybody else feel like this 'bout sony nex series ?

I had the 5n before too, and it got me into ILC cameras and once again, i can't fault it and i got some nice photos out of it (esp with the 50mm) but it has no lenses with a special feeling or an own 'soul' ...

The new 35mm doesn't seem to be bad but nothing spectacular either, prefer the fuji 35mm 1.4 then imo

I too feel infinitely happier having disposed of my 5n (kit and a few Nikkor F manual lenses). Its sale proceeds went to pay for part of a DP2M. Now I am happy with colour, sharpness, white balance and an image able closely to reproduce how something was seen & felt when a finger pressed the button. The Sony kit lens was only adequately sharp between f7.1 and f10 and then only in the middle of its zoom range. And I now have no 'neon' green. Yay!

Wolf, I won't blame you as I took the same path, and am currently parting with my 7 after owning the 5N and 6 as well. Like you, shooting only manual lenses because the only native lens I could have liked (SEL50) was too slow to focus indoors, and everything else I tried (16-50, 18-55, 30/2.8DN) was either uninteresting, slow, or downright lousy (or all three in the case of the zooms).
I've had a wonderful time with the NEX bodies and legacy glass over the past 6 months, and unlike you I dont find their rendering "digital", that, in my mind, goes to the OM-D (my hated camera, lol).
Like you, I'm now looking at the X family (I'm an ex Fuji user from long, long ago, started with the S Pro 1 !!), and though I realize there are quirks and the AF is sluggish unless you get the new X100s or X20, I'm now trying an X10 and play it by ear from there.
My 7 is spoken for and leaves tomorrow, so we're brothers in arms here ;)
A little pic to wish it good-bye :

80656ffd228d4f2919ae7e028d227b2b_ed5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Dear Brother in Arms, my nex 6 is paid for and will leave tomorrow :)

why do you "hate" the omd ?

The fuji X (i got XE1) has it quirks, but when you come home and see the photos, all is forgiven... ;)

Guess I'm swimming against the tide here but I'm still happily shooting with original NEX5 and planning to buy NEX6 in the next couple of weeks. I've printed and hung pics taken with most of the allegedly rubbish lenses and they look fine to me and everyone else who has seen them.

I personally don't believe that the idea of cameras having a particular look, good or bad, corresponds to reality - it's in the eye of the beholder. Line up images side by side from one photographer shot on different cameras and I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference based on 'look'. But maybe I'm just not sensitive enough:)

Happy shooting with any an all your cameras.

I am a big fan of Fuji cameras. However, I would try and use one first before buying. The lenses are great, but just make sure you actually like using the camera. They do require a bit more patience and they aren't really designed for machine gun shooting....:) They work for me because I don't take a lot of pictures but if you like shooting 50 or 100 shots when you do photography, they might not be the ideal choice. Great cameras but they are kind anachronistic.

On the S1, I have an S5. The skin tones on that camera are just amazing. I did some portraits recently using a Nikon 50 F1.4 and 85 F1.4. The people loved them and I hardly touched them on the computer- which made me real happy.

I love the Fuji's but they probably aren't great cameras for most people.

One thing I do agree with you on. All these cameras have sort of a different look straight out of the camera. Yes, you can modify that on the computer. Personally I don't like spending a bunch of time processing files so what comes out the Fuji's works for me. Some people are going to prefer Olympus or Sony or whatever. That's just a matter of taste and not right or wrong.

Again, I'd go to the store and try one out before I bought it. And you won't fan a bigger Fuji fan than me. I love my X Pro and X100.

I love my fuji XE1 and indeed the ooc jpgs are superb, but as you say it's a special camera and not for everybody and it does lack some things , hence why i prefer the omd as a second body (faster single af, more lens options, telezoom, macro, ...)

It's really just a personal choice, and you like what you like. I think the Fuji XE1 is a wonderful camera (I love my X10) and if I were to part with my NEX that's likely the direction I would go. Of course I am very much a fan of legacy glass so the NEX is a good fit for what I want. As to the NEX rendering looking "digital", I don't find that to be the case at all. In fact, I have always felt that that sort of rendering is more an issue with the lenses being used than the sensor. When I had a Panasonic GX1 I found the Olympus 45/1.8 to render images that were very sharp but IMHO had a rather cold clinical look to them. I found it most disagreeable. The PL45/2.8 OTOH produced wonderful images on the same camera. It really all comes back to what you like. Like StanlyK put it..."no right or wrong". All of the cameras you mention are excellent and capable of great results. I think the actual between differences are likely quite small. Go with whatever feels right.

FWIW I spend a good deal of time on TalkNEX and it seems to me that there are a good deal more folks joining that forum than leaving at the moment. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that daily I am seeing new folks introduce themselves.

Wolf
I hope you end up happy with your choices. That is what really matters. It can sometimes be difficult because there is nothing wrong with a camera - it just doesn't work for me. When the Nex 7 was announced I was pleased. What's not to like ? But I don't like the handling or the EVF. For me the OMD was even worse. Again, a great camera; so many solid features in an excellent, small body, plus a range of good lenses. But I didn't like it at all.

But I fully understand why people do like both.

I found my camera in the X-Pro 1. Comments about the AF being 'sluggish' leave me a bit bewildered. It's not as fast as some, but works superbly for me. And I love having an OVF. Meantime the lenses are excellent. The IQ has a feel, a presence, that I really enjoy. Most of all it is in a package that I find natural and intuitive in use. To me Fuji has taken the solid advances of digital and combined them with some more traditional controls that are not there because they are traditional, but because they work. I find using the Fuji to be fluid and natural.

But, many do not feel the same. The point is to have the courage to move to what really works for you. You will be passing the Nex 6 on to someone else, and there is a good chance it will be perfect for them. Everyone wins.

Wolf
I hope you end up happy with your choices. That is what really matters. It can sometimes be difficult because there is nothing wrong with a camera - it just doesn't work for me. When the Nex 7 was announced I was pleased. What's not to like ? But I don't like the handling or the EVF. For me the OMD was even worse. Again, a great camera; so many solid features in an excellent, small body, plus a range of good lenses. But I didn't like it at all.

But I fully understand why people do like both.

I found my camera in the X-Pro 1. Comments about the AF being 'sluggish' leave me a bit bewildered. It's not as fast as some, but works superbly for me. And I love having an OVF. Meantime the lenses are excellent. The IQ has a feel, a presence, that I really enjoy. Most of all it is in a package that I find natural and intuitive in use. To me Fuji has taken the solid advances of digital and combined them with some more traditional controls that are not there because they are traditional, but because they work. I find using the Fuji to be fluid and natural.

But, many do not feel the same. The point is to have the courage to move to what really works for you. You will be passing the Nex 6 on to someone else, and there is a good chance it will be perfect for them. Everyone wins.

Well said.

Was joking, I don't hate the OM-D except it does nothing for me (too small, too cramped, tiny buttons, don't like the signature look of the cam, ignominous Oly menus, etc). Plus for a while the m4/3 community was very keen on making all non OM-D worshipers feel like crud (but that's another story). The GX-1, OTOH, was a cam I loved to death. If it'd had an APS-C sensor I'd still be shooting it and totally immune to any form of GAS.
I will sorely miss the fabulous Peaking feature that has made me enjoy NEX so much for the past 6 months. But after being a very dedicated (and much improved) MF shooter, I want to enjoy the ease of AF again for a while. I know it sounds counter intuitive as Fuji has arguably among the worst AF performance of CSC as of now (though the crown belongs to the Canon M, lol). But the two newly announced models have cracked the fast AF riddle, and it won't be long that Fuji gives us an XE-2 with the fast AF and Peaking. Can't wait.

Fuji has arguably among the worst AF performance of CSC.

No doubt it is among the slower, but there are nuances to AF performance. The X-Pro 1 for example has, in my experience, superbly accurate and reliable AF. Meantime the speed is far from slow for my purposes. I suppose this underlines the need to know your shooting needs, and to try for yourself. Technical ability and reviews are good guidelines, but no substitute for a test run.

I've owned the NEX3/5/5n/7. They were all excellent cameras and capable of producing high quality images, including high ISO performance. This is just a total matter of opinion (and some people will vehemently disagree with me), but one of my primary pet peeves against the NEX (other than the lack of native lenses) is the look. The NEX line of cameras just looks ugly. I really tried liking them, because they are capable cameras. I did come close to liking the NEX7 because of the nice controls. But it's still uglier than the OMD and Fuji X cameras. Yeah I know, I've been called "glib" before.

... I did come close to liking the NEX7 because of the nice controls...

Ah ah, +1. I do think the 7 has its own kind of unique beauty. But it looks really cold and futuristic, compared to the X-E1. But to each their own, I was head over heels for the looks of the GX-1, and still find it the sexiest m4/3 camera too date, and by far.

Among the Sony NEX cameras, the 6 appears on paper to be the model that might suit me the most, but I'm less keen on trying one now. I had a 5N late last year and as a camera it just felt a little odd to me. Not bad at all, just not what I expect in a camera. The image output, while I couldn't really fault it much technically, seemed to lack an edge, or character...or something. The same sensor has been a success in a lot of different cameras so maybe it is just something in Sony's own image processing that I don't gel with? Not sure. Whatever it was it didn't suit what I wanted to use the camera for. Anyhow, I happened upon a cut price Samsung NX200 soon afterwards and almost immediately bonded with it, it's output, and it's lovely little pancake lenses. I put a lot of value in both how a camera works and how it feels in the hand. The 5N wasn't for me, but I have no doubt that it will find a new owner who'll enjoy it more than I did. I have too many cameras anyway...

The nex 6 / 7 looks quite ok imo, but not as sexy as omd/ xe-1 / x100...

But I do agree that the OMD needs the grip for a better grip.

Again, the nex (6) are great cameras and i love using legacy glass from time to time, but i can't hold on to the nex 6 just for that.
The lenses is what makes you stay with a system mainly

The nex 6 / 7 looks quite ok imo, but not as sexy as omd/ xe-1 / x100...

But I do agree that the OMD needs the grip for a better grip.

Again, the nex (6) are great cameras and i love using legacy glass from time to time, but i can't hold on to the nex 6 just for that.
The lenses is what makes you stay with a system mainly

I think that's a very good point. The lenses are often a significant factor in determining system preference. If you prefer legacy glass the NEX with focus peaking can be a very appealing system. If you like the wide selection of high quality native glass then m43 is a really terrific option (my GX1 and PL25/PL45 were a great combo). I don't mention Fuji because I don't know enough about them but I will say if the XE-1 ever got focus peaking I would very tempted to pick one up.

Back