Ghosthunter is coming to the good old US of A!!

Name
Andy
Yes....It's true!! I'll be leaving these cold, windy British shores in October and visiting Florida for a couple weeks YAY!! Just got home from booking the holiday. We will be spending 6 nights in Orlando and doing all the Disney/Universal stuff and then driving down to Fort Lauderdale for a night, then driving down to Key West for 3 nights and then back to Fort Lauderdale for a further 3 nights before flying back home from Miami.

While sitting in the travel agents I just kept thinking...oooooh what cameras could I buy with that money!!! but if I had bought cameras then I would not have anything to shoot as I would be stuck at home :D

If anyone can think of anywhere to go with the family that just so happens to be super photogenic then please let me know. :)

There's this odd "mall" not far from Disney world that is basically a old village that was completely converted to shops. It's colorful, weird, and often has some real characters in it. Wish I could remember what it was called but it's been a few years. There's a shop in there with a guy who makes puppets and that's fun. I bought one for my daughter that was a "Joe Camel" puppet and actually used him for a "model" and some improvised story telling, lol.

I'll see if I can find out the name of the place.

3964651738_1fef298d9d_z.jpg

Portrait: Joe Camel by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

3967574310_b58d7d7b75_z.jpg

Portrait: Joe Nurses a Hangover by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

3968086388_09aa9a3fd2_z.jpg

Portrait: Joe Tells a Story by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

3968085334_29cef80497_z.jpg

Portrait: Joe's had Enough by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Hi Andy

I've never been to Florida so can't give you any useful advice about what to see and do where you are there, other than watch out for the alligators.

Do you need to get a tourist visa to go to America these days?

We too had to renew our ESTA last week so another $28 to the US Government.

I'm back in Florida in June which is a great month for photography as the clouds build up in the afternoon giving some fantastic cloudscapes ; just before the hurricane season.
Our basic plan is to spend most of the time at a favourite haunt near Sarasota and then perhaps go down to the Keys for a few days ; we'll probably decide after we arrive depending on the weather.

Florida isn't blessed with many Photographic outlets but on your journey south the Leica Store at West Palm Beach is quite good and had a good range of books when I was last there to buy Leica accessories. No great savings to be made these days although another trip to Dale Photo and Digital a few miles south in Hollywood might be of interest.
Both are almost on your route to Miami.

Lots of Photo opportunities at the Orlando attractions but for me Florida means wildlife and visiting any of the Parks means an abundance of Birdlife , Alligators and Vegetation.
Miami gives you a chance to shoot art deco buildings and the Keys provide Caribbean colour and wonderful sea/sky shots.

In Fort Lauderdale eat at the Cheescake Factory at least once ..quite an experience for us Brits ; our first was in Houston and now we look out for a branch wherever we go.

Enjoy the trip

The Everglades, Key West, Cape Canaveral.

Florida is flat and ugly. The wildlife is amazing. The destruction of the natural environment is equally amazing. (They even have an Australian tree that is infesting the landscape.)

Australian trees, Burmese pythons in the Everglades ( and moving north).

The tumbleweed -- icon of the American southwest -- is really Russian sage, imported in the mid 19th century, that took over!

Hi Andy

I've never been to Florida so can't give you any useful advice about what to see and do where you are there, other than watch out for the alligators.

Do you need to get a tourist visa to go to America these days?

Like everyone else we just need the ESTA thingy.

I have been to Florida twice before but it was before I was into Photography so wasn't paying much attention. I will do this time.

Thanks everyone for the ideas!

Andy
Do the ESTA thing sooner rather than later. It isn't automatic especially if you have a common name as a friend of mine found out when he was refused automatic entry.

I was born and raised in Jacksonville, FL. I've done the Orlando thing a few times. While fun, once is enough I think. Since you'll be going in October, it shouldn't be too hot.

Back