GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

The Samyang 24mm f/2.8 FE - after the success that was the Samyang 35mm f/2.8 FE was and some favourable reviews right off the bat, this one was a no-brainer, really.

I now have a wonderfully small FF setup: Sony A7 II, Sony 55mm f/1.8, Samyang 35mm f/2.8 and 24mm f/2.8. Very nice, and great to travel with (especially for city trips). Stabilised, and with the 55mm, weather resistant (to a degree). And quite affordable, too.

For longer trips with more divers subject matter, I'll still pick the (even smaller and lighter, yet much more versatile) :mu43: setup: Panasonic GX80 with two primes (Laowa 7.5mm f/2 super-wide, Olympus 25mm f/1.8 normal) and zoom(s) (Olympus 14-150mm II - and sometimes, the Panasonic 100-300mm II as well), but the Sony setup is getting quite competitive, and optically, the small and cheap Samyangs hold their own.

M.

^
With all the lens options, Sony does really offer a compelling option. You can go small or large, from very good to excellent optical quality.

I also have an A7ii, with the 28mm, 55mm, and 85mm 1.8 lenses. Great series of lenses, for not too much money compared to performance. Also have the Zony 35mm 2.8 for when I want to go really small.

The 7.5mm fisheye on m43 being a case in point, really good lens.
Absolutely - but for the time being, the Laowa 7.5mm rectilinear lens has replaced it in my travel kit. Very nice lens as well - and a bit more versatile.

Samyang has the "disadvantage" of many third-party lens makers: They can't rely on software correction, so they have to get it right optically. As a result, both the 35mm and the 24mm are impressively well corrected for such cheap lenses. Nice though the Sony 28mm is, without in-body lens correction, its distortion is hideous (on the other hand, you get almost a 26mm FoV if you switch off corrections - but don't try any straight lines if you do).

@ggweci As a portable "holy trinity" for Sony FF, you still can't do much better than what you chose. Both the 28mm and the 85mm would also be my own picks if I hadn't covered those options in other compelling ways. This time around though, compactness was more important than aperture for me; my whole Sony kit fits in a small bag with space to spare - very handy, and exactly what I want from mirrorless ...

M.

@ggweci As a portable "holy trinity" for Sony FF, you still can't do much better than what you chose. Both the 28mm and the 85mm would also be my own picks if I hadn't covered those options in other compelling ways. This time around though, compactness was more important than aperture for me; my whole Sony kit fits in a small bag with space to spare - very handy, and exactly what I want from mirrorless ...

I'm also very interested in the new Samyang 24mm. Waiting to see some more images and reviews, and for the price to drop before jumping on board. Hopefully it performs as well as their 35, and discounts like that lens occur as well :)

MSG Photocross 10

51F0AED0-7346-4838-9E13-EDB849EF6618.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Let us know your thoughts on this after using it. I’m heavily considering one of these slings for when going off-road, or other situations when I’ll be a n situations where things will get wet or dirty.

I’m very happy with it so far, it holds my EM1 and 40-150 pro (along with extra lenses and batteries) and rides comfortably on my back without shifting while riding my MTB.

We’re in the middle of our dry season right now so I can’t really comment on water resistance but it’s held up really well at the beach and in the desert so far... :2thumbs:

The LX100 was perfect for a project I've volunteered for to photograph all the headstones and memorials at my local church. In fact shooting against bright evening sun I made frequent use of the exp.comp.dial only to find I hadn't needed to - the exposures would have been spot on. Anyway...emboldened by my reacquaintance with Panasonic, I have ordered an FZ1000 after much deliberation. I really wanted to like the K-S2 and it had good points but the OVF was, in the end, just not as good as it was cracked up to be, and the mirror clack started to wind me up. So back to a 2x serious compact setup!

Artisan and artist easy slider strap.
I think at last I’ve found the right strap for me.
Light weight and comfortable.
Quick and easy to change the length.

ARTISAN&ARTIST - ACAM-E25R
Ooh, I want one. I have a couple of A&A neck straps but my neck hates a camera hanging off it these days... something that can go cross-body would be great. Think I may have to acquire one. Or three.

...I have ordered an FZ1000 after much deliberation. I really wanted to like the K-S2 and it had good points but the OVF was, in the end, just not as good as it was cracked up to be, and the mirror clack started to wind me up. So back to a 2x serious compact setup!

I love my FZ1000. I love not having to hear a mirror "clack" as you call it, on my K200 and K5, its more like a crashing noise, but thats probably just noticeable because I have the sounds turned off on all my other mirrorless cameras. Cant stand it.

Earlier in July I got the Sony RX100 Mark VI on Launch Day.....and it is more than a worthy successor to the earlier RX100 series cameras. I have been enjoying using it and enjoying its 200mm (35mm equivalent) lens and its small size, great for taking just about anywhere.

Then, I kind of surprised myself by splurging a second time and buying the significantly larger RX10 IV, which shares some features and functions with the RX100 but with a much longer zoom -- 600mm equivalent. It has been quite some time since I have had a "bridge" camera, having used SLRs and DSLRs for years, and this one seems to really hit the spot, with quick focus, no more shutter lag such as earlier "bridge" cameras experienced, and the lens is really terrific. I think I am going to be very pleased with this latest acquisition to my camera gear. It, along with my RX100 M6, will be great for shooting the wildlife which are around the little lake upon which I live, as well as serving as good travel cameras. Now I'll have to stop the gear-buying for a while and temporarily put off that Sony A7 III and lenses I've also been lusting after.....

E
Then, I kind of surprised myself by splurging a second time and buying the significantly larger RX10 IV, which shares some features and functions with the RX100 but with a much longer zoom -- 600mm equivalent.

Please share some photos from your RX10 iv....I've been eyeing that camera up for awhile and I'd like to see what you are capturing with it.

Please share some photos from your RX10 iv....I've been eyeing that camera up for awhile and I'd like to see what you are capturing with it.

I’m also very interested to see some examples. I bought RX-100 IV and seriously thinking going your path with RX-10 II (I don’t need 600mm zoom, but prefer constant aperture)

At least RX-100 IV seems to be quite good also in low light as street camera

Back