GAS-free Executive Lounge

G'day Michael and welcome to the lounge. Sure take a seat over there. What can I get for yo….no wait a minute. Hmmmm…I'll mix a Corpse Reviver 3000 for you my friend - good choice for a thirsty Texan ;)

A huge positive about GAS is the volume of turnover of newish gear, mostly stuff in great shape and the only thing effected is the 'shine'. So many a used Sigma DPM can be had for a song. Last one I saw here in Australia had less than 1000 shutters taken and it languished at a little less than $500.

I find it easier to talk about not smoking. I quit on April 4, 2008. I have had a couple of times where I wanted to smoke again... but when I get like that, I take a really deep breath and remember all the reasons I stopped. Being unable to breathe properly (even now) is one of those.

GAS though... oh dear. I can "neg rave" (which is what you lot have been doing) til the cows come home. But I won't. Not right now anyway.

If you smoked as much as my wife does, you can easily afford GAS ... just saying :)
No point just saying'... I was a working person when I was a smoker. The smoking (amongst other things) forced me off work and onto a pension, an enforced early retirement with none of the benefits of a big payout at the end except enough to get my house paid off so I would not have to sell up. My buying power is restricted. Just sayin.

No point just saying'... I was a working person when I was a smoker. The smoking (amongst other things) forced me off work and onto a pension, an enforced early retirement with none of the benefits of a big payout at the end except enough to get my house paid off so I would not have to sell up. My buying power is restricted. Just sayin.
Well then Sue kick back over there, yeah over near Luke there and I'll mix you up a little something. Me thinks a Daiquiri might be the go - refreshing for a beach girl such as yourself…and leaving no hankering for a cigarette or two.

Sometimes restrictions can be a positive. I know a few folks - chalk me up on that board - who waste more time online researching gear than going out and shooting with any. If you have a restriction imposed upon you then you have no reason to window shop…that would just be masochist now wouldn't it. Instead you are out there catching momentous images of grass fires with a very capable Nikon 1. Not sure how much better a Sony RX1 would have done that job, or even more so having been inside pixel-peeping samples at the time you had a nostril full of smoke smells.

So raise that glass and let's drink to image making in 2014.:drinks:

Sue, let me know how Mark is with Daiquiris. I might switch to something a little sweeter for next drink (since it's morning here, now).
Or a Corpse Reviver for you too Luke - Michael seems to have drawn energy enough from his 3000…so maybe a #2 for you? They say it is the ultimate hair of the dog mate. OK judging by how you are screwing up your nose then maybe something more traditional…a Bloody Mary is a good choice before noon?

I'm a scotch and soda girl on occasion but I think this bar can serve soda with a twist of lemon, right? (Thats Club Soda to you Americans... I know you call everything soda, thats got fizz and isnt alcoholic). anyway, thats my drink these days. Just as well I really like it :)

Oh... yeah.. Mark... I would not have taken an RX1 to the fire... it really needed a long lens (although cropping later would have worked). I would have taken the Pentax + DA55-300 if I had not had the Nikon 1 stuff to hand. IF I already had an RX10 or Stylus1, I would have taken one of those, for a greater range in one package.

It's a little past 6am here. I haven't smoked in years, and am not big on drinking. I do like some good coffee. A lot.

Ever since I got my EM5 (and RX100 as a pocket camera), I ended my camera quest. When prices dropped, I bought a second EM5 for a trip to South Africa, and can now shoot with different focal lengths using primes, without the constant changing of lenses. I originally planned to exchange one EM5 for a X100s, but can not be bothered to do such. I just like what I have. It's so much like my beloved Minolta X700 and Minox GT/E, that got me through university years and then some.

Now, how about that coffee?

Any room here for a confirmed non GAS Brit? I've never been into collecting superfluous camera gear, I use what I've got when I've got it and if I haven't got it I make do. It's probably a throw back to the days when I couldn't afford to buy the latest gear and did my photography via buying what I needed through the second hand shops. Likewise I've never spent a fortune on cameras, even when I did photography professionally the kit was kept to a bare minimum, two 35mm bodies, 2 x 645 bodies.and small selection of half decent lenses. A camera is used 'til it breaks then it's replaced. I never get overexcited by buying new gear, but I have to be honest and say the latest aqcuisition, my little E-PL5 does make me smlie when I use it - I am actually getting quite fond of it - but whisper that as I don't want anyone to know :)

To quote my own website: "We can all get blinkered by technology at times and forget that the image we seek is mostly down to the photographer's skill & intuition rather than any superfluous gadgets. My philosophy: "It's the picture that's important, the camera is merely a tool that makes possible the perceived image - keep it simple, keep it light".

Mine's a nice single malt please barman, preferably a Balvenie Doublewood or a Glenfarclas with just the merest dash of water to bring out the taste.

D

I don't know, what's this new generation turned into….you can't just run a little establishment with a limited menu and a shelf or two of spirits - with the good absinthe hidden under the counter - oh no, now they demand caffee du lait, skinny soyachino and wi-fi. :doh: Who am I to buck the trend. However so we don't degenerate into the Clooneyesque world of Nespresso, the Executive Lounge is hiring a barista. Expressions of interest are sought from suitably qualified candidates who can operate the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang whirling steam machine, knows what all these new fangled coffee names mean…and can listen to the drivel about low-fat, no-fat, mocha, chai, marshmallow…la de da ;)

….once we hire the barista then I'll sit with BB and Marlof for a brew. But make mine very black, very short and super strong….swampy residue on bottom is expected.

Meanwhile, back to what I know and do best.
Dewi. Mate. A nice Islay Single Malt my friend? Ahhh no dramas, no ice, just a little wet….niiiiice.
Just a sec… "Hey Luke, yeah Luke, over here bud. Draw up a pew mate, we're on the good stuff over here….."

I'm liking the atmosphere in here. Maybe an old Wultizer to balance the hissing coffee machine but..

'scuse me.. Room for a stressed visa-filler? I can operate a coffee machine too - well, I should be able to - there are those who refer to me as a "smooth-talking bar-steward"... ;) Mine's a G&T, of course - Gordons, none of that modern copycat stuff. And a twist of lime to taste.

Sent from another Galaxy

Don't gimme no stinking soy milk!

Just throw some milk in a mug, heat it (you can have a microwave can't you?) and pour in the coffee.

Now Mark, remember there are some who don't choose to drink the demon alcohol, so at least we can have some seltzer and a few limes...sinc I know that Bill like's lime in his G&T.:D

BB, Marlof - that's exactly what I want to hear (y) Actually best coffee I've had was made a Dutch guy I knew. Almost blew my mind out but it really did the job. Hmmm….wanna job Marlof? :laugh1:

Help help help!!! Can get coolpix A new for $550. Help help help...
GAAAAAASSSSSSSS

Mark: Gerry Gibbs camera hous

Sue,

Have a look at the tutorials in this thread Craft & Vision free books, particularly the one on improving your technique without buying new gear. I'm not implying your technique needs improving, but it can reinvigorate your photography.

Barrie

Back