Fuji Fujifilm F770EXR

there is supposed to be a sun mode option to compensate

the 660 is my first camera without viewfinder so I've assumed that the problems apply to all "screen only" cameras (maybe to varying degrees but still basically flawed)

I've highlighted the X-10 as the next semi affordable one

Sun mode, such as it is, is simply a brighter LCD which didnt help much, for me. I'm just giving up on screen-only cameras. XZ will be going up for sale. Can't really sell the GRD, with its broken battery latch (but I still use that anyway.. it doesnt seem to be so much of an issue, the LCD), I will sell the FZ too, and eventually replace that with th HS50 (or whaever is around by then). Also decided to sell off a bunch of my pentax mount lenses, by which time I will have decided if I even want to keep the K5. I may not. If I do, though, it will only be the body and one prime. I think I am heading into a period of rationalisation. The last two years have been insane, for GAS, for me.

Well I totally understand I have similar criticisms. But its almost a Love Hate relationship, sometimes I'm incredibly frustrated with it but other times it can totally surprise me.

Like this shot of a dandelion - not very different to your shot from the X-100 in the other thread. Hand held macro. Looked innocuous until I cropped & Auto optimised it with the Finepix studio

View attachment 69714

Well I totally understand I have similar criticisms. But its almost a Love Hate relationship, sometimes I'm incredibly frustrated with it but other times it can totally surprise me.

Like this shot of a dandelion - not very different to your shot from the X-100 in the other thread. Hand held macro. Looked innocuous until I cropped & Auto optimised it with the Finepix studio

View attachment 69736

Thats lovely Rog...

I'm taking mine back tomorrow, and I'll be back to carrying the X100 instead of the others. I'm now vacillating between getting the X-20 or just getting a VF-2 for the XZ-1... I still love the CCD sensor so I wont sell that... but I also love an OVF... oh what the hey, maybe its fine to have two similar (though most definitely not "same") cameras.

I'm taking mine back tomorrow, and I'll be back to carrying the X100 instead of the others. I'm now vacillating between getting the X-20 or just getting a VF-2 for the XZ-1... I still love the CCD sensor so I wont sell that... but I also love an OVF... oh what the hey, maybe its fine to have two similar (though most definitely not "same") cameras.

The great thing about the VF2 is that you can use it on any of the Olympus Pens should you ever become interested in them. And there are great, low-priced deals to be had on leftover (but still new) E-PM1's, E-PL3's and even older E-PL2's and the occasional E-PL1. And it won't be all that long before the first generation of Pens wih the newer, 16mp sensor drop in price. I'm not telling you to go crazy with a new system. But the VF2 gives you some options and should you ever decide you'd like to try a Pen, you can buy one cheaply with kit 14-42mm zoom (which really isn't bad at all). You can eventually add a tele or fast prime if you want and be done with it.

The one huge benefit of the 660 & all the F series is pocketability. Apart from extra cost its the added bulk of Viewfinder cameras which holds me back.

I bought the 660 for use on building surveys so in theses circumstances I'm not too concerned with pure image quality provided it records whats there. Its main intended use then is Point & shoot.

The advantage for me of the 660 was pop up flash giving a choice (other cameras had auto flash) & it was the cheapest P&S offering Manual control, so I have the opportunity of fooling myself that I can take better images than the camera auto settings. Coming from a 35mm film manual SLR the added variable of ISO settings is additionally confusing for me. The choice of 16:9 / 3:2 / 3:4 ratios are very useful. If it had a viewfinder even a basic one I would not look elsewhere. A 3 or 4 x zoom would suit most of my needs & the 15x is beyond necessary for me.

It was a bonus that image quality (and video) was above my expectations although you do need to hold it steady.

In my budget arena the add on VF's are way more expensive than this little camera.

The great thing about the VF2 is that you can use it on any of the Olympus Pens should you ever become interested in them. And there are great, low-priced deals to be had on leftover (but still new) E-PM1's, E-PL3's and even older E-PL2's and the occasional E-PL1. And it won't be all that long before the first generation of Pens wih the newer, 16mp sensor drop in price. I'm not telling you to go crazy with a new system. But the VF2 gives you some options and should you ever decide you'd like to try a Pen, you can buy one cheaply with kit 14-42mm zoom (which really isn't bad at all). You can eventually add a tele or fast prime if you want and be done with it.

Thanks, Steve, I have often considered that option, and now that the $$$ is back to my CC, I may just get the VF2 and see how I go. :)

The one huge benefit of the 660 & all the F series is pocketability. Apart from extra cost its the added bulk of Viewfinder cameras which holds me back.

I hear ya, Rog :) The pocketability issue is one I get hung up on, also, at times... but then, I remember that I don't actually do pockets anymore!! I have a bag which is my favourite for eveyrthing, and its so big (but not that heavy and it doesn't *look* big) that I can carry 3 compacts *and* my K5 with a prime attached without the bag looking bulky, or like a camera bag. Most of the time I have the X100 and the XZ in there, along with the other sh*t I cart about with me.

As far as IQ goes... a couple of shots I did manage to get yesterday... the IQ was even better than the old F550 could produce, and had the glare on the screen not been such an issue for me, I would have kept it without hesitation. I don't know what they've done to the sensor... but its improved on the model I had before.

Here's one of the shots I did without actually being able to see what I was shooting. Quickly processed in Photoforge on the iPad, and uploaded via PHotosync.

8754873971_4e31982da6_c.jpg

IMG_0116.JPG by kyte50, on Flickr

This thread seems to have faded away. I have had two of these cameras - the 600 and now the 770. Although they do not match the quality of larger sensor cameras I am consistently amazed at what they do produce.

Back