Fuji XE-1 or NEX-6 + Lens Turbo?

Jonathan F/2

All-Pro
Name
Jonathan
I'm considering picking up either a used Fuji XE-1 or NEX-6 and a Lens Turbo so I can use some of my Nikon MF glass and get close to the FF look without having to buy another Nikon FX DSLR (I have two already). Prices on both cameras have dropped and I'm not really interested in spending all that much. I also have an Olympus E-M10 and E-PM2 + Roxsen focal reducer that I'm actually quite happy with. It's because of the results I'm getting from that setup that makes me want to try a slightly bigger sensor camera. I'm open to any advice. Thanks! :)

Well, I'd suggest the X-E1 because I have a minty used one in the classifieds. But I'd also suggest it because I think with the Lens Turbo attached, you'll appreciate the slightly bigger body. I think it'll be better balanced.

I used nex-6 with speedbooster+nikon mf lenses. I have also e-m5. Nex-6 has a very good grip to help with bigger lenses compared to e-m5 and the glass in the speedbooster helps to distribute the weight better compared to empty longer hollow adapters. Other pluses might be the flipping lcd for the angle shots when you don't use the evf and auto ISO 100 which helps with at least f1.8 lenses, but you need a nd filter or a polarizer with f1.4 lenses under the sun.

Fuji has very nice jpg colors, but then you have to deal with x-trans raw files...

I used nex-6 with speedbooster+nikon mf lenses. I have also e-m5. Nex-6 has a very good grip to help with bigger lenses compared to e-m5 and the glass in the speedbooster helps to distribute the weight better compared to empty longer hollow adapters. Other pluses might be the flipping lcd for the angle shots when you don't use the evf and auto ISO 100 which helps with at least f1.8 lenses, but you need a nd filter or a polarizer with f1.4 lenses under the sun.

Fuji has very nice jpg colors, but then you have to deal with x-trans raw files...

Part of the reason I was considering the Fuji were for the jpegs. I really just want this rig to be a SOOC MF setup with minimal PP. The A6000 seems to be another option, but price-wise + focal reducer is more than I want to spend.

A couple of questions for those that use Fuji for adapted lenses:

- How does the focus peaking compare to other cameras (like Sony, Panasonic, etc.).

- Is the EVF laggy when panning the camera?

I really have no plans to invest in native lenses if I go Fuji or Sony, so AF performance isn't a big deal. I'm quite happy with my M43 AF kit. ;)

I'm currently using the Roxsen/Camdiox adapter for some time now, on the X-M1 and X-E2.

I have to say I'm very satisfied with the results; can't comment on other focal reducers, but I have reason to believe the Camdiox is the same optically as the Lens Turbo (please comment if you have any further info on this).

In fact I'm planning on an extensive report on my blog, and I'll link it here when ready.

For me, the focal reducer on a APS-C camera serves as a "full frame substitute" in the sense that all adapted lenses become their "natural" focal length (this is not 100% true though, there is still a very small "crop").

- How does the focus peaking compare to other cameras (like Sony, Panasonic, etc.).

I really have no plans to invest in native lenses if I go Fuji or Sony, so AF performance isn't a big deal. I'm quite happy with my M43 AF kit. ;)

Jonathan, I have no real experience with Sony/Panasonic using manual focus, but focus peaking on Fujis is quite good, esp. the X-E2 and X-T1. Haven't faced a problem with EVF lag on the X-E2.

For the time being, because Fuji is my "secondary" system, I too use only a couple of native lenses; everything else is adapted, hence the focal reducer.

The main difference between Nex and Fuji should be the missing color-selection for focus peaking.
The X-E1 uses a lower EVF monitor frequency than the X-E2 and so could be more laggy in low light than the X-E2.
At least the first version of Lens Turbo has a problem in marginal sharpness compared to a real FF combination and a few wide-angle lenses produce a blue pale dot in the middle of the picture with it. I've bought the LT for my Nex-5N before I decided to get a A7. For the price it is not a bad decision - with a Nikon 85mm/1.8D I've got a few good portrait pictures who had a nice effect.

I really have no plans to invest in native lenses if I go Fuji or Sony, so AF performance isn't a big deal. I'm quite happy with my M43 AF kit. ;)[/QUOTE

I just made the transition from a NEX 5n to an XE1 and I shoot only adapted glass. I am not sure I would make the jump if I had it to do over again. First off, to answer the questions above...

1. The focus peaking is decent and quite accurate but much harder to see on the XE1 (not just color but the Sony focus peaking is much more pronounced)
2. The EVF is laggy. It's got decent resolution but the EVF on the NEX 6 is a quite a bit better (based on my friend's NEX 6)

What caused me to make the jump was the layout, UI and overall usability of the Fuji over the NEX. I still think that as a camera the XE1 is absolutely terrific. The main issue I have with it is the lack of the flip up screen. When shooting legacy glass I find that shooting from the hip or belly is a lot more stable than with the camera up to your eye (legacy glass with the adapters can be kinda big). I have been learning how to make the best of the change but not having the option is definitely a drawback. Finally, I would say that image quality is a wash. The Fuji i better in low light but otherwise they are not that different. If you plan to shoot JPEG you need to adjust the picture settings in camera (sharpness, NR etc.). The NEX 5n doesn't have those settings (and as I understand nether does the NEX 6) and by default the OOC images are sharper. Once the XE1 is setup to your liking the images re quite good and the color is much more pleasing.

If you plan to shoot RAW you may need to invest in a decent RAW converter. Lightroom (even LR5's) RAW conversion for Fuji cameras is pretty terrible.

Thanks for the replies guys! I ended buying Luke's XE-1. Now I'm trying to decide if I should get the Zhongyi Lens Turbo II or the Roxsen Focal Reducer. I have the Roxsen for M43 and I have no complaints. Though if the Lens Turbo II is a bit better, I'd have no problem paying a little extra for it.

Back