Fuji Fuji X100 advertisement

Wow, I was a bit lost without the language, but was that ad basically saying that being a street photographer with the X100 would get you laid and leave the woman terrified and running away while you hold your camera and sit there with a rather sick look on your face??? That wasn't ALL of it, but that was the dominant impression I came away with. I don't think you'll be seeing that one on the telly anytime soon!

-Ray

I'm with Ray and Tanya. I, however, did think many of the images throughout were incredibly well done. Maybe I'll become a film maker one day - instead of watching them.

Do you think that the video was actually all video, or were there stills intermixed?

Well, I'm all screwed up that way. I always tend to see these things the way women do yet, on some primordial level, I still want to BE that guy in the commercial. So I either get the best of both or the worst of both, depending on how you choose to look at it. :cool:

Regardless, I'd love to see the marketing research that tells them how many frustrated 30-something guys are gonna buy the cameras after seeing that!

-Ray

From a cinematic view, it's got a David Lynch/Wim Wenders feel all over it (although, Wenders endorses the Leica brand). The voiceover could have been -- contextually -- completed unrelated, in translation, for all you know. As for the seductive schoolgirl [and tatooed Yakuza] imagery, I took it for an art director's preference -- as accepted by the Japanese. Historical Japanese erotic art depicts just this kind of scenery. But, this particular clip holds lots of loaded imagery, especially in contemporary culture. As with Don, the message I understood, was that it's a camera with which to photograph life as it goes from moment to moment -- at a blink, before you miss it -- every emotion frozen for all eternity (how sappy can I be?). Were it to be broadcast here (the almighty censors behind the curtains wouldn't allow for it), I'd call it ballsy, with dark elegance. I liked it. The evangelicals would have a field day, however.

I saw it as...
With an X100, you can capture the moments of life ...

I don't think I'm particularly puritanical, but using the camera to shoot yourself (or someone else?) having fairly intense sex is a bit much for an advertisement, even one that kids wouldn't see. And there's something about the look of the woman running away near the end of the ad and the look on the guys face as he's slumped back on a bench or something and holding his camera sort of cradled by the strap that's just flat creepy. I don''t see much in terms of capturing the moments of life in that, or any relationship to having a camera with you or how you use it. There were plenty of moments and photographs around the city that made sense in a gritty commercial. Those didn't, to me. Maybe being able to understand the voice over would have cleared some of it up?

-Ray

Back