Fuji Fuji X Zoom Lens

merlin

All-Pro
Name
Merlin Emrys
I am wondering if there are any Fuji zooms that cover approx. 24-135mm with excellent IQ, and neither weigh a ton nor cost an arm or leg.

The fixed lens on my X30 covers 28-112, which is mostly sufficient for my hiking needs, but I am looking for one to work with my X-T1 and X-T2.

The 18-135 is the closest to that focal range. It is weather sealed with excellent image stabilization. And great image quality.

Thanks, Bobby. Sadly, that lens received about a 3 out of 5 optical quality rating at photozone de, and a number of reviews at B&H confirm this. Also, I do not need more than 135 AOV.

Although I have the 18-135, I have chosen to go the prime route hence the 80mm purchase. I have seen rumours of a XC 16-70mm, but it may be a longish wait!

Although I have the 18-135, I have chosen to go the prime route hence the 80mm purchase. I have seen rumours of a XC 16-70mm, but it may be a longish wait!

Yes, an f/4 16-90 would be perfect for my needs. My primes are top-notch, but carrying all, or most, of them whilst hiking is not why I switched to mirrorless!!!

I totally agree, myself I don’t intend to take them all with me every time, just pick one or maybe two. Which is easy for me as I tend to wear a photographers vest made by Domke stacks of pockets(15). And nobody has called me a nerd yet. :2thumbs:

Just using one or two primes teaches me to zoom with my feet, however the places you tend to roam around that might be difficult!

I totally agree, myself I don’t intend to take them all with me every time, just pick one or maybe two. Which is easy for me as I tend to wear a photographers vest made by Domke stacks of pockets(15). And nobody has called me a nerd yet. :2thumbs:

Just using one or two primes teaches me to zoom with my feet, however the places you tend to roam around that might be difficult!

I occasionally take only the X-T2 and one prime (generally the 23/1.4 or 90/2) as a challenge. But hiking below those imposing rock cliffs in the Nature Preserve often requires a zoom like the one on my X30, which is why that camera is the one I use most often on these excursions.

But the small sensor imposes a number of restrictions, not least of which is difficulty shooting against the sunlight. This creates a great loss of contrast, and often blown highlights. The X-T2 (and X-T1) handle this type of situation very well.

And wearing a photographer's vest would be impossible since I carry a backpack with padded waist belt on all these hikes with safety gear and such.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been a toss-up for me. At present, I'm all primes except for the 50-230. I really like compact and light. On the other hand, the 18-55 has nice IQ, and is convenient in what it covers. I have considered getting another 18-55, but have held off so far.

It has been a toss-up for me. At present, I'm all primes except for the 50-230. I really like compact and light. On the other hand, the 18-55 has nice IQ, and is convenient in what it covers. I have considered getting another 18-55, but have held off so far.

After taking only one prime on each of my last two off-trail hikes (23/1.4 and 16/1.4), I was blown away by the IQ compared with my X30, especially when shooting into the light. But I missed the greater range of a zoom (the X30 is 28-112 AOV).

It will be interesting to see how the 18-55 performs with the X-T2.

It's almost frustrating how well fuji did with the 18-55 lens version 1.0, right out of the gate. Baffling, even. The traditional approach seemed to be to put out something slower, less sharp, etc, so that there would be a compelling reason to upgrade. That's 90% of why I skipped the lens when I bought the XT1 new. Then I borrowed one, and ... none of my preconceived notions played out. I traded a friend the 14 prime for it, and even though I use primes more often than not, I use This 18-55 Lens as much as any other single lens, for sure.

It's almost frustrating how well fuji did with the 18-55 lens version 1.0, right out of the gate. Baffling, even. The traditional approach seemed to be to put out something slower, less sharp, etc, so that there would be a compelling reason to upgrade. That's 90% of why I skipped the lens when I bought the XT1 new. Then I borrowed one, and ... none of my preconceived notions played out. I traded a friend the 14 prime for it, and even though I use primes more often than not, I use This 18-55 Lens as much as any other single lens, for sure.

I hope my experience is as excellent as yours! Thanks.

I cheat. My kit is four primes. But the kit my dad and I put together for my middle spawn has an 18-55 and 50-230. So, on occasion I borrow a zoom :D

In my younger days, carrying two DSLRs and 2 extra primes in addition to a backpack was no big deal. But now, for the most part, one camera and lens has to suffice.

I had my days covering two and three day events. Some of those being offroad events with lots of nice steep hills to climb. Carrying two Canon pro/1D series DSLRs with a prime on each and another prime in a Think Tank pouch on a belt. I'm like you. Now one body with two-three of the f2 primes is all I need 90% of the time. The 2 primes are so light you don't notice the weight of them.

Back