Fuji Fuji X-Pro2 FF rumor thoughts

What about a "photographer" that uses full frame for low ISO and crop sensors for high ISO (family and friend outings, concerts, etc.). :eek:

Kind of what I am doing right now. After seeing a 13x19 landscape print from the A7 it is awfully hard to go back down to crop sensors for that application (base ISO, maximum DoF). I found the A7 and 35/2.8 is noticeably smaller and lighter than a XT1 with 23/1.4. I know the Fuji is a better lens, but with the Sony you can crop and downsample (and loose a lot of artifacts along the way).

I still think it would be cool to see Fuji make a FF body and some lenses (how great would they be). At least with the Fuji lens ecosystem, the crop option would be more compelling than it is with Sony.

What about a "photographer" that uses full frame for low ISO and crop sensors for high ISO (family and friend outings, concerts, etc.). :eek:

Kind of what I am doing right now. After seeing a 13x19 landscape print from the A7 it is awfully hard to go back down to crop sensors for that application (base ISO, maximum DoF). I found the A7 and 35/2.8 is noticeably smaller and lighter than a XT1 with 23/1.4. I know the Fuji is a better lens, but with the Sony you can crop and downsample (and loose a lot of artifacts along the way).

I still think it would be cool to see Fuji make a FF body and some lenses (how great would they be). At least with the Fuji lens ecosystem, the crop option would be more compelling than it is with Sony.

Kind of like the old days where one used large or medium format for landscapes and 35mm for everything else

why do you 'know' the fuji 23 is the 'better' lens vs the zeiss 35/2.8? i,m not taking a stand as i dont have either, but i,m just curious how you 'know' that?

why do you 'know' the fuji 23 is the 'better' lens vs the zeiss 35/2.8? i,m not taking a stand as i dont have either, but i,m just curious how you 'know' that?

First off, I know nothing, so take everything I post with a big grain of salt (I need to add something to this effect in my signature file). :D

I had the XT1 and 23/1.4 combo for about a week and shot side by side with my A7 and 35/2.8. The reason I tried the Fuji combo was because I was getting frustrated with vignetting on a small percentage of landscape shots with the Sony/Zeiss 35mm. I compared downsampled Sony files versus Fuji files, processed in Adobe (RC) and Iridient. What I saw in the raw files was that the Fuji had much less vignetting (on APS-C, of course) and a bit less distortion. For me, the Fuji needed less corrections in post. I assume that there are more compromises in the design of the 35/2.8 to make it soooo tiny and light (the Fuji seems like a monster in comparison).

interesting, thanks kyle. at 2.8 i wouldnt have thought vignetting wouldve been a problem. its not apparent to me on my rx1, though i guess thats neither here nor there since its a different lens. i agree about the distortion, i find it on my rx1 as well, compared to my x100. since the fuji should theoretically have a good deal more distortion than the sony, im curious if fuji doesnt apply some correction even to its raw files. i actually prefer turning off the alleged rx1 distortion correction mode as all it does is stretch the picture and actually imo makes the distortion even more obvious.

Do you use any software compensation for the vingetting? I haven't really noticed the 35/2.8 being terribly bad in terms of vingetting at f9-f11 (=landscape apertures for me), and DxO takes care of the rest ;)

interesting, thanks kyle. at 2.8 i wouldnt have thought vignetting wouldve been a problem. its not apparent to me on my rx1, though i guess thats neither here nor there since its a different lens.

Good to know your positive experience, because I recently found a great deal on a used RX1. :) It looked like it would solve my vignetting "issue" and give me the added benefit of needing to change lenses less often in the field (seem to always end up with dust and pollen on my sensors, even when I am careful changing lenses). I am hoping this will also force me to get comfortable with the normal FoV, with the 55/1.8 permamently mounted on my A7. Just a couple weeks in so far, but it seems like the RX1's vignetting is much more manageable than the 35/2.8, pretty much gone by landscape apertures.

i agree about the distortion, i find it on my rx1 as well, compared to my x100. since the fuji should theoretically have a good deal more distortion than the sony, im curious if fuji doesnt apply some correction even to its raw files.

This is something I wondered about... I ran the raw files through both the Adobe and Iridient process (with lens corrections off). Still, it could be that Fuji is doing something in raw, like you said.

Do you use any software compensation for the vingetting? I haven't really noticed the 35/2.8 being terribly bad in terms of vingetting at f9-f11 (=landscape apertures for me), and DxO takes care of the rest ;)

I was using the Adobe profiles when they became available (can't remember if this was a RC version). Maybe something like DxO would do a better job, but Adobe wasn't able to fully correct at f5.6 - f8. On a lot of scenes, like the following shot, where there is some variation in the sky and foreground, the corrected image was great for me (I like the subtle vignetting). If the sky was just partly cloudy or pure blue, though, I found it distracting to have vignetting present.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/krugorg/13191597625/

I do sort of agree with the previous thoughts that I like what fuji is doing with the APS-C sensor right now... Not sure how much more they'd gain by going FF, as that would require a whole new lens lineup that I'm not sure Fuji is ready to provide.

Fuji may very well be applying distortion correciton in RAW, given they already do a ton of noise reduction there(albeit very effectively). I don't see why they'd theoretically have more distortion though, given the large lens size should allow for it to be optically corrected.

Back