Fuji Fuji X-Pro 1 Trip report

David_Manning

Regular
I hiked Morro Dois Irmãos in Rio de Janeiro today with the X-Pro 1 and the 35/1.4. My hiking partner carried an M8.

The XP1 handled the heat and humidity like a champ (even my sweaty hands). It was far lighter than any SLR rig I've used. It's shutter was quieter than the Leica.

A very nice thing the XP1 could do which will be nice for M240 shooters (and a usability advantage over the M8 today) is live view. I hate heights (even though I'm a pilot...go figure) and near the sheer granite cliffs, I could use the rear EVF to hold the camera over my head when looking down to frame accurately (I can see the wisdom of image stabilization now...my knees were shaking...maybe XP2?).

I also borrowed my friend's 21mm Elmarit (I use a Kipon LM-FX M-mount adapter), and while on the summit I shot at F16 hyperfocally and activated the finder EVF for perfect framing.

It was a very flexible rig and I'm happy to report the XP1 operated like a professional camera should.

Bonus: since it's M-sized, it disappeared a bit in my hands and didn't draw attention while shooting in the Vidigal favela afterward (it's on a Gordy's wrist strap if not in the bag). I wouldn't have cruised around with a dSLR around my neck there.

I hope someone finds this user feedback useful. I'll post some pictures when I return home this weekend.

A couple of images from the trip:

8645992023_7abdd7fa55_b.jpg

8645991705_0714e1b4b8_b.jpg

Nice shooting David! I love the kids with their dog, the first one, and the iconic statue against the sky.

Are there more on your website? The link seems to be dead, at least for me...

-Ray

Thank you both.

Ray, I don't have these shots on my Tumblr site yet (but I have Rio shots from another visit)...try David Manning and thanks.

Gary, I felt the shot of the Christ had kind of a "backstage" feel :) I've seen similar Pope images I found interesting.

Back