Fuji Fuji X-Pro 1 hands on and samples

Bolt.gif

;)

Did ANYONE honestly think that the X-Pro 1 would NOT produce awesome image quality? To me, that was a given once I'd used the X100 for a while and heard that they were working on an ILC. The questions in my mind were all about how it would work, and whether it would have many or any of the worrisome little (or big) niggles that the X100 and X10 have dealt with, either in perception or reality. I just took it on faith that the IQ would be at LEAST as good as the X100 and probably better and nothing I've seen from it challenges that point of view at ALL.

For me, not buying it is down to two factors. The X100 X-Pro 1 is not the type of shooter I'd want for my primary system, as much as I love it as an alternative, AND its very expensive. If only ONE of those were true, I'd probably buy it. If it would be a great secondary system for certain uses and it was priced more affordably (even just in line with the X100 instead of roughly twice the cost for the body and single lens), I'd probably buy it and love it, but still not in a primary role. Or if they'd work out a little bit faster AF and generally faster operations and maybe keep but de-emphasize the OVF in favor of perhaps a tilting screen and/or better EVF, I might have found a way to spend the big bucks on it anyway because it could play a more primary role in my shooting. Someday, as they develop more lenses, particularly at the wide end, and future bodies, I might very well buy into this system. For now, I'm sitting it out. It'll be interesting to see how both this system and m43 evolve over the next year or two and fight for my loyalty. I could probably go either way, but m43 has a big head start, so a transition away from it isn't something I'll do without a STRONG reason.

But the LEAST surprising thing about this system is the IQ, which I just assumed would be incredible, and clearly is.

-Ray

I agree with Ray that it's not too surprising that, so far, the image quality from the new Fuji seems excellent.

For me its a prime candidate as my next camera. I don't view it as too expensive. Now, I would prefer the price to be lower, but thats a separate thing. I don't buy cameras often, and the price seems pretty much in line with the alternatives I would look at in the same output band. It has most of what I want, and the trade-offs seem reasonable.

But, I still want to read a few reviews from photographers (as opposed to reviewers), and of course play with one in person.

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking it at all. DPR is DPR - I don't recall a camera in the last couple of years that people were excited about that plenty of people didn't also show up to trash. The X-Pro is just another example. The same thing is also happening with the OMD-EM5. And if you think the X-Pro is being treated badly, don't even THINK of checking out the Fuji talk (non X-100/DSLR) forum where the X10 is being dismembered on a minute by minute basis. I just completely bailed on that forum because the negative is so pervasive there's no room at all for any positive perspectives...

I shoot with the OVF almost exclusively with the X100, but I'm not primarily a viewfinder type of shooter, so its not as high a priority in a full system camera for me as it is for some. That said, I love it in the X100 and surely wouldn't MIND having it in my main system as long as there were other options I also really enjoyed using. Which I don't do much on the X100 because the EVF isn't particularly good. I do use the LCD sometimes though - its not bad but I'd like it a lot more with some tilt or swivel (preferably tilt). But that's not the direction Fuji has taken so far and it won't surprise me if they don't with future bodies either. As for the future lens lineup, I find it pretty exciting, particularly in comparison to what Sony seems to be promising, which does nothing for me. BUT, I think it remains to be seen how well Fuji will be able to adapt the hybrid viewfinder approach to the widest of those and to the zooms. It seems like the 14mm and 12-24 (which are two of the lenses that REALLY interest me) may already exceed the width of the fullest possible view of the OVF in the X-Pro 1? Will these be EVF/LCD lenses only or will they figure out a way to make them work with the OVF? And I wonder about the longer zoom also - how small will the "framed" area in the middle of the OVF have to be to work with that? If they don't work with the OVF, that increases the importance of having a VERY good EVF (which I don't find the one in the X100 to be, which hasn't bothered me in the least with that camera) and some additional options possibly for the LCD. If they CAN make the OVF work with all of these lenses, I'll be incredibly impressed, but the camera may still not be for me if that's the only really good framing option. But if future bodies combine the OVF with better options on the rear screen and maybe a better EVF... I wouldn't be surprised to see a future body that abandoned the OVF altogether if they want to provide a budget way into this system.

I think its a great start to a system and if I was primarily a viewfinder shooter, I'm sure I'd be in already, despite the price. As is, I'm really looking forward to seeing how it develops, what other approaches they might take with new bodies down the road, and how the lens line develops. If it does everything it looks capable of, I could switch most, if not all, of my primary system from m43, in time. If not, or if m43 sensors continue to improve in the same time period, and/or if m43 copies some of the best tricks from the Fuji, I'll likely sit tight. I'm not gonna be an early adopter with this system, but I may well end up there.

Regardless, its a very exciting system and its a great time to be into mirrorless cameras!

-Ray

I'm intrigued to see if Fuji intends to develop this as a system or maintain the exclusivity of a "premium camera plus lenses". It strikes me that at the moment Fuji has created a big hole in their line-up which just so happens to be exactly the type of camera I would be interested in. I'm not really into either the cheaper fixed lens compacts or the premium one (X10), and from there it's a big jump to the X100 (still very much a niche product by design) and now a further large jump to the X-Pro1. If you're looking for something in the middle, for the time being the only option is to go elsewhere.

I'm intrigued to see if Fuji intends to develop this as a system or maintain the exclusivity of a "premium camera plus lenses". It strikes me that at the moment Fuji has created a big hole in their line-up which just so happens to be exactly the type of camera I would be interested in. I'm not really into either the cheaper fixed lens compacts or the premium one (X10), and from there it's a big jump to the X100 (still very much a niche product by design) and now a further large jump to the X-Pro1. If you're looking for something in the middle, for the time being the only option is to go elsewhere.

I agree with you on the hole in the lineup... it would seem that you could have something that is priced and sized closer to the X100, using the same X lenses. The only question I have is how good their pancake wide angle lens (and future releases) will be at the frame edge. It seems like some of the early chatter (taken with a grain of salt) is not very positive on the 18mm.

I was guessing there would be something else with the X mount below the X Pro. Thanks again for posting the photos earlier. I'm really excited about the X Pro. Now I just have to wait until Amazon ships. :(

If I remember correctly, they have already said a cheaper X mount body is planned. Of course this fact and its date depend on the market response...

Well, if they come out with the promised lenses and a lower priced body (or two) with similar IQ but perhaps less costly bells and whistles, I could see getting on board with this system. If that's what this "official announcement" that we need to wait several months for pertains to, I take that as very promising news indeed. Assuming the 14mm looks good and the 12-24 and the 23mm prime are proceeding on pace, I could see sometime next year as a good time to start transitioning to this system, assuming there are more bodies in the works. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

The bigger mystery to me right now is just how good the IQ (particularly low light) of the OMD is gonna be, because I should have that sometime next month I hope. And that'll provide at least a clue as to how closely on the heels of APS m43 will be nipping. But its pretty cool to have these two pretty serious big-deal mirrorless cameras coming into the world at about the same time. Because while they're not directly comparable, I suspect they're fighting over some of the same potential market. Others in the near term, perhaps me in the long term...

-Ray

The 18mm looked bad on a lot of the sample photos that I've seen on the web so far. The 35/1.4 looks great though.

The pricing of the XP1 and its lenses is very competitive with high end stuff. However, IQ aside, I'm not sure if the build quality of the Fuji lenses will rival a Leica, Zeiss, Pentax Ltd, Voigtlander M or even Canon L or Nikon G lenses. But it the Fuji lenses average about $600 for primes, they'd be generally cheaper than most of the aforementioned lenses other than the Pentax Ltd's and Voigtlander M's.

I was using the M9 all weekend, and it sure is difficult to MF quickly and accurately. But I like the feeling of putting the camera against my eye. That's what I like about the X100 as well, even though it's AF.

The 18mm looked bad on a lot of the sample photos that I've seen on the web so far. The 35/1.4 looks great though.

The pricing of the XP1 and its lenses is very competitive with high end stuff. However, IQ aside, I'm not sure if the build quality of the Fuji lenses will rival a Leica, Zeiss, Pentax Ltd, Voigtlander M or even Canon L or Nikon G lenses. But it the Fuji lenses average about $600 for primes, they'd be generally cheaper than most of the aforementioned lenses other than the Pentax Ltd's and Voigtlander M's.

I was using the M9 all weekend, and it sure is difficult to MF quickly and accurately. But I like the feeling of putting the camera against my eye. That's what I like about the X100 as well, even though it's AF.

I've seen some great 18mm stuff, after the initial burst of not-so-good stuff. I will try and find some links for you. I also prefer the camera to the eye approach...

The bigger mystery to me right now is just how good the IQ (particularly low light) of the OMD is gonna be, because I should have that sometime next month I hope. And that'll provide at least a clue as to how closely on the heels of APS m43 will be nipping. But its pretty cool to have these two pretty serious big-deal mirrorless cameras coming into the world at about the same time. Because while they're not directly comparable, I suspect they're fighting over some of the same potential market. Others in the near term, perhaps me in the long term...

-Ray

I am looking forward to some real OMD reports too - but for me it's the low ISO performance that's important.

I'm very tempted on the OMD. I sold off all my Pentax gear last year + had some extra money and upgraded to a Nikon D700. It's a great camera but I don't really use it much because it's just darn big. It's a great camera and the 35mm F1.4 is an amazing lens as is the 85mm F1.4. But you really have to want to use it. The X100 I always want to use. Go figure.....not the best investment I've made. But then again, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I still have an EP2 and some MFT lenses. I was seriously considering selling them off too, but the OMD has me kind of interested. I'm not really sure I trust Olympus on the sensors. I had a chance to use the EP3 and quite frankly I just didn't see much difference between it and the the EP2. It did auto focus faster but that really wasn't an issue for me. I have just enough money left after the X Pro to get an OMD if I sell off a couple more lenses.

Do you think the sensor will be that much better than the EP2 or 3? I don't need it to go above ISO 400. I mostly shoot the MFT lenses wide open. I personally like MFT, but to be honest the DSLR look of the OMD isn't thrilling to me. I actually prefer the EP3/2 but that little detachable EVF is kind of a hassle. So I spend $200 on that and mostly use the VF 1 with the Panasonic 20mm (which I think is a really good lens). Yet another dumb investment on my part with the VF2. So...back to my question, do you think there will be a big sensor improvement in the OMD (especially for DR)? I can live with the DSLR look if the IQ is better. In the end that's the part I care about most. AF, tilting screens, menus ect I can work with, around or without.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!

I will just chime in to say that you could wait for spring, when Oly is supposed to release updated PENs, most likely with the same sensor that is in the E-M5. You would obviously lose the weatherproofing and EVF, probably the 5-axis IBIS, and possibly the tilt screen. I have an E-M5 preorder in, but I am really wavering for some of the same reasons you mentioned... I rarely use the EVF and, when I do, I don't mind the accessory VF-2. Also, I really appreciate the size of the E-P3/2. Hard to beat with a 20/1.7 mounted.

I'd echo what others are saying about future Pens. I can't even fathom the possibility that they wouldn't all have the new sensor. But the weatherproofing I doubt, the improved IBIS I have no idea about, and the rest are just features that may be in some and not others. I'm not aware of any actual rumors of new Pens, but Oly updates pretty frequently and their lower end models tend to be just as capable as their higher end models, but with fewer features and accessories. I definitely want the OMD, but if one of the future Pens has the right combination of features in a package I like as much, who knows. I hope to get the OMD I pre-ordered early enough in April to use it for a good chunk of my month-long stay in New York City. If I don't get it in April, or until the end of April, I may just cancel the order and wait to see what else is coming down the line from both Olympus and Fuji - because I don't have any other major photo-taking travels planned for the next several months and won't feel any urgency about a new camera AFTER New York. But I'd love to have that set of features for as much of the time I'm in New York as possible, so I hope I it comes early enough for me to buy it!

-Ray

I'd echo what others are saying about future Pens. I can't even fathom the possibility that they wouldn't all have the new sensor. But the weatherproofing I doubt, the improved IBIS I have no idea about, and the rest are just features that may be in some and not others. I'm not aware of any actual rumors of new Pens, but Oly updates pretty frequently and their lower end models tend to be just as capable as their higher end models, but with fewer features and accessories. I definitely want the OMD, but if one of the future Pens has the right combination of features in a package I like as much, who knows. I hope to get the OMD I pre-ordered early enough in April to use it for a good chunk of my month-long stay in New York City. If I don't get it in April, or until the end of April, I may just cancel the order and wait to see what else is coming down the line from both Olympus and Fuji - because I don't have any other major photo-taking travels planned for the next several months and won't feel any urgency about a new camera AFTER New York. But I'd love to have that set of features for as much of the time I'm in New York as possible, so I hope I it comes early enough for me to buy it!

-Ray

I hope you get it too. Partly because you'll make good use of it and I look forward to the photographs, and partly because I look forward to your opinions.

The new sensor etc in the next generation E-PL3 would be a powerful little package.

Back