Fuji Fuji X-Pro 1 hands on and samples

So maybe doing BOTH the magnifier AND a diopter adjustment within the innards of the same OVF was technically a bridge too far and that's why they decided to leave the diopter adjustment up to the end user at the back end of the whole system?

I can't find the video right now, but in one of the Fuji guys' videos they give this exact explanation.

A number of people on DPR seem to think the AF is notably improved with this firmware, particularly in low light.

It may be true. At least I can't feel much of a difference when comparing my X100 with 1.13 and my X-Pro1 with firmware 1.00 (finally!). Sure, the lenses (focal lengths 23mm vs. 35mm)) are different, but both cameras are now actually pretty precise and snappy even in low light.

Of course, it helps to know how contrast AF works, so you can seek out appropriate focus points and also optimize the size of the AF field for what you are shooting. There's a reason why one can choose from 5 differnet sizes.

It may be true. At least I can't feel much of a difference when comparing my X100 with 1.13 and my X-Pro1 with firmware 1.00 (finally!). Sure, the lenses (focal lengths 23mm vs. 35mm)) are different, but both cameras are now actually pretty precise and snappy even in low light.

Of course, it helps to know how contrast AF works, so you can seek out appropriate focus points and also optimize the size of the AF field for what you are shooting. There's a reason why one can choose from 5 differnet sizes.
You have the X-Pro! Great - can't wait to see your impressions and your photographs. You can choose the size of the focus box in the EVF and LCD on the X100, but not in the OVF. Is this also the case with the X-Pro?? It actually makes sense given that focus with the OVF isn't all that precise due to parallax and a tiny focus box could give a false sense of precision and actually cause you to miss focus more often. Just wondering how the X-Pro differs from the X-100 in terms of those types of details...

-Ray

No difference here, would not make any sense, as you already wrote yourself. Parallax is now even more an issue with higher focal lengths at short distances. Thus there's now a greater distance between the selected AF field and the corrected AF field in the OVF. That distance is now higher than the size of the AF field itself, even with only the 35 mm lens. I'll put on the 60 mm later to see how strong the effect will be with that one.

Edit: Yep, it's pretty strong.

Like others, I am really looking forwards tom your comments/feelings about the X-Pro1. I have the X100 and love it and can live with it's little idiosynchrosies but I am pondering getting rid of my D700 kit and going for the X-Pro1 as I use the D700 about twice a year so it is collecting dust most of the time so struggling to justify keeping it.

Since I'm writing a book about it, there will definitely be plenty of commenting. Yes, there will be an English edition, too. So far, I'm quite pleased. I have just done a few JPEG/RAW comparisons using a Silkypix Beta and I'm stunned by the amount of detail I could extract from those RAWs. I guess this is going to be a great system.

Since I'm writing a book about it, there will definitely be plenty of commenting. Yes, there will be an English edition, too. So far, I'm quite pleased. I have just done a few JPEG/RAW comparisons using a Silkypix Beta and I'm stunned by the amount of detail I could extract from those RAWs. I guess this is going to be a great system.

Book about the XP1? Awesome!

Are these last two samples 100% crops? How much noise reduction did you apply on the Silkypix crop?

The level of detail at f2.4 looks really good!!! And virtually "noiseless" on both photos.

I think I may have to go pre-order the 60mm too!

If you can, I'd love to see some people photo samples. Thanks Flysurfer!

MODS - maybe we can create a thread for Flysurfer on sample photos from the XP1!

Back