Fuji Fuji X-E1 or E-M10

kevistopheles

Top Veteran
I know these are two very different beasts but I have the opportunity to pickup one or the other for a great price and I am finding them both compelling. So just a tiny bit of background. I have been an adapted lens shooter for years. I've been using primarily Sony bodies and recently picked up an a6000 and found I didn't care for it. I'm using this opportunity to change things up a little. I had a Fuji X-E1 for about a year and I have to admit that I liked it a lot. It's not the easiest to shoot adapted lenses with but the results were quite nice. The real fun part however was when I had the Fuji XF35/1.4. I was an m43 shooter years ago and I am finding the notion of fast AF and being able to use two of my favorite lenses, the P20/1.7 and PL45/2.8 very appealing (although neither of those lenses are all that fast to AF).

I realize neither camera is going be as nice as the Sony's when it comes to using adapted lenses but I think that with either I am likely to pick up a few native lenses to use them with. Right now I am leaning toward the Fuji as I am familiar with it, have a soft spot for Fuji IQ and quite frankly love the build quality and feel of it. That said, the E-M10 is a pretty cool little camera and I could see it being a ton of fun. I'm not looking to buy into either as a system. I just want a camera and a few lenses to make images with. I tend to like to wander around, get real close to things (not macro close) and generally the stuff I shoot doesn't run away. Things tends to unfold at a rather leisurely pace when I make images.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Oh well, if your issue ever becomes "un-mooted" - I'd say use the Fuji. I'm happily invested into M43 but with the Fuji and appropriate speedboosted adapter, a 35mm legacy lens would equate to 35mm on the Fuji. That wouldn't be the case with M43 cameras with their differing sensor size.

Oh well, if your issue ever becomes "un-mooted" - I'd say use the Fuji. I'm happily invested into M43 but with the Fuji and appropriate speedboosted adapter, a 35mm legacy lens would equate to 35mm on the Fuji. That wouldn't be the case with M43 cameras with their differing sensor size.

Thanks, I pretty much came to the same conclusion. The XE1 was a lot cheaper than the E-M10 too.

Just be aware that the X-E1 is not able to display magnified live view image while writing RAW files to the memory card. For me it was a huge impediment to using manual glass.

I realize that, I shot an X-E1 with manual lenses for the better part of a year. I can see it being a issue, but it never really posed a problem for the kinds of things I do. I'm pretty slow anyway.

Back