Fuji Fuji update now available__link provided

Well, there is no perfection in life, excep da wife... Of course she's always perfect but she doesn't use the X100.
I see the Auto ISO as about as good as it gets. That and MF mode and the camera responds perfe...
Great.
I am not one to trust a camera to think for me but auto iso really works good.
Ya get great files all the way thru... maybe I don't get the iso issue but I do get the images... That's all I care about...

Seriously, you all. Don't you think there has to be a hardware/software reason that there are two different methods of being able to change the ISO via the EVF and the OVF? As I said, I am quite happy that I can now leave it in Auto ISO and easily change the ISO if I feel the need.

I'll be interested to hear from all you street shooters to see how you feel the speed of the camera has changed, etc.

P.S. Don, I see we posted virtually at the same time. How do you feel about the write speed? Do you think that the camera is faster now? It does seem to be to me, but I've never gotten a stop watch out. How about the rest of you all - once you've had a chance to check things out in real life?

Thanks, Don for the great description for updating for Mac users. It worked perfectly. A suggestion based on a mistake I made. Make sure you format the card in the camera you are putting the FW update on prior to attempting the update. If you don't and I didn't first, you will be asked to "initialize" the card first.
Still searching for the 1/3 EV adjustment ability. However, holding the focus point size when changing between EVF and OVF is an excellent update. The display in the OVF related to parallax is a bit confusing but I think I'm figuring it out.
Very cool improvements overall.:)
. . . David

So for all you X100 owners, how do you rate this update on a scale of 1-10? Is the usability greatly improved? Did this address some/all/none of your biggest complaints?

I stand corrected to my post to Armando. In auto iso mode, if you use the fn button to access iso... You can change the base iso but it's still auto iso.

To access the 1/3 stop... Use the control lever either right or left to adjust between fstops.

Seriously, you all. Don't you think there has to be a hardware/software reason that there are two different methods of being able to change the ISO via the EVF and the OVF? As I said, I am quite happy that I can now leave it in Auto ISO and easily change the ISO if I feel the need.

Not sure what the reason is, but it certainly doesn't make any sense for Fuji to allow for that - whether hardware or software.

It looks like according to Don that you cannot change the ISO if your camera is set on auto ISO. You only change the base ISO. So I suppose you can increase the ISO to something higher than the camera is giving you. But you can't force the camera to decrease the ISO if auto is giving you a higher value than you would like.

I have to say that I have never used Auto ISO in the past, but so many of us realize how great this camera is at exceptionally high ISOs that I've been tempted to give it a whirl again... I know that both Don and Ray swear by Auto ISO and have found it has worked beautifully. Of course that still doesn't address the issue we're discussing about the Fn button and the use with Auto ISO.

I am glad about that 1/3 f stop and about the settings remaining as is when switching between different shooting modes, however.

Ok, here's how I do it. I'm posting because I have a few request to explain how I use the camera.
Auto ISO.... 200-3200. 1/30 low speed.
A mode.. Choose fstop according to DOF needs.
Silent mode.
MF mode. Focuses from about 4" to infinity faster even in low light.
The AEL/AF button on the rear right to focus the camera.

Any questions please post below...

And speaking of Auto ISO, I have a question - Since the X100 operates so well at high ISOs I have begun to use auto ISO too. However, I notice the camera will often shoot below my set slowest shutter speed. Any thoughts as to what I might be doing wrong?
Don, I was testing the inflatable soft box for flash with my EF-20 this morning. It does works very well. Thanks for the eBay link. However, during the test shots I took of my wife I got camera motion because the shutter speed that it was shooting at was lower than the one I set. Hmmm. Regardless here's the test grab shot;
Flash Test (1 of 1).jpg

. . . David

Streetshooter said:
Ok, here's how I do it. I'm posting because I have a few request to explain how I use the camera.
Auto ISO.... 200-3200. 1/30 low speed.
A mode.. Choose fstop according to DOF needs.
Silent mode.
MF mode. Focuses from about 4" to infinity faster even in low light.
The AEL/AF button on the rear right to focus the camera.

Any questions please post below...

I will try your settings today and see how this works, will these settings work in dark environments too? The other thing for me is that I really can't wait to see how the fast focus will work in the streets because I love street photography.

And speaking of Auto ISO, I have a question - Since the X100 operates so well at high ISOs I have begun to use auto ISO too. However, I notice the camera will often shoot below my set slowest shutter speed. Any thoughts as to what I might be doing wrong?
Don, I was testing the inflatable soft box for flash with my EF-20 this morning. It does works very well. Thanks for the eBay link. However, during the test shots I took of my wife I got camera motion because the shutter speed that it was shooting at was lower than the one I set. Hmmm. Regardless here's the test grab shot;
View attachment 1534
. . . David

In the old firmware (not sure if the new firmware changed this or not), each PASM mode has its own base ISO. So you can set it at 200 in Aperture priority, but it may be 800 under Shutter priority. Consequently, if you want the same base ISO on all PASM modes, it was necessary to go one particular PASM mode, set your base ISO, then go to the next PASM mode, and set base ISO again, and so on and so on ...

Hi Andrew,
As an X100 user I think it's actually more about options than complexity. How each of us utilizes those options differently to support our own shooting style through the set-up. Options on an X100? Geezum crowbar, a barzillion I think.:)
. . . David

David, I think it's best to use Manual Mode with flash... that way you control the fstop and shutter speed. The flash will fill in or do what you set it to do....

In the old firmware (not sure if the new firmware changed this or not), each PASM mode has its own base ISO. So you can set it at 200 in Aperture priority, but it may be 800 under Shutter priority. Consequently, if you want the same base ISO on all PASM modes, it was necessary to go one particular PASM mode, set your base ISO, then go to the next PASM mode, and set base ISO again, and so on and so on ...

I believe they have addressed this:

8. Macro mode ISO sensitivity, Drive mode, Dynamic range, Self-timer mode, flash mode is maintained even if shutter speed setting or aperture setting is changed. Also, even after changing viewing mode into shooting mode or turning of the camera, these values are maintained.

P.S. Good point, David about the difference between complexity and options. Many options. I tend to keep things very simple. I'm determined to give Don's MF hyperfocal style with the wondrous AFL/AEL button for moving in closer when needed. I will report back after I've given it a good, long involved try out in different situations. Oh yes, and I will give the Auto ISO mode a good chance too.

Back