Fuji Fuji New Rangefinder form!

You guys sound like the angle and devil on my shoulders.

Do I need one? No. Do I want one? Frankly, not really - too much choice is a confusing thing and too much overlap is worse. But do I need or want the right camera? Yes! It may take several cameras to find that right camera :D

I'm intrigued by the OVF, with the EVF option. I miss OVFs.
I don't need one OR want one - in fact I'm almost mildly cynical about this camera. But I KNOW TO THE POINT OF DEAD FRIGGIN' CERTAINTY that all of this will change once I handle one and see everyone start raving about them on line. Then I will definitely want one and will very likely convince myself I absolutely need one. And, as of now, I hope I resist all of this because I can't even begin to rationalize a fixed focal length camera given that I like to shoot at a variety of focal lengths and I have a few cameras that can shoot either variable zooms or fixed primes quite nicely thank you very much. But all of this will go by the wayside, I'll figure out exactly why I need one (right NOW), I'll probably buy one and love it until the new camera smell wears off and I realize any of my other cameras will do the same job exactly as well, then I'll turn around and try to sell it EXACTLY when the next great thing comes along and renders the X-100 obsolete and worth about $10! I can see the future - I've lived through it so many times already!

-Ray

I don't need one OR want one - in fact I'm almost mildly cynical about this camera. But I KNOW TO THE POINT OF DEAD FRIGGIN' CERTAINTY that all of this will change once I handle one and see everyone start raving about them on line. Then I will definitely want one and will very likely convince myself I absolutely need one. And, as of now, I hope I resist all of this because I can't even begin to rationalize a fixed focal length camera given that I like to shoot at a variety of focal lengths and I have a few cameras that can shoot either variable zooms or fixed primes quite nicely thank you very much. But all of this will go by the wayside, I'll figure out exactly why I need one (right NOW), I'll probably buy one and love it until the new camera smell wears off and I realize any of my other cameras will do the same job exactly as well, then I'll turn around and try to sell it EXACTLY when the next great thing comes along and renders the X-100 obsolete and worth about $10! I can see the future - I've lived through it so many times already!

-Ray

This is about the short and skinny of it for me. Although, I don't consider myself a gear junky. I'm content with my E-P1, and if I do decide to get something new, it will probably be a new mFT body, maybe the vaporware called E-P3. I have looked at the Fuji's output, and I don't see anything really special about it. The price also seems rather "optimistic" as well. I honestly would be more inclined to buy an APSC mirrorless SLR if it was done more like the PENs or the GFx lines instead of what Sony is producing. I just can't get over the interface.

Thanks you guys for keeping your "I don't want it or care about it or don't think I want it or care about it..." posts here rather than sullying up chylld's new thread.:tongue:

Seriously, thought, it is definitely a case of different strokes for different folks - as it is with most things, don't you think?

Andy, I am sure there will be a number up for sale from people who may not have thought carefully about the camera....or if it turns out the camera is terrible.;)

P.S. And when those cameras do go up for sale, they should go for a bit cheaper so that will be a big plus.(y)

Thanks you guys for keeping your "I don't want it or care about it or don't think I want it or care about it..." posts here rather than sullying up chylld's new thread.:tongue:

Seriously, thought, it is definitely a case of different strokes for different folks - as it is with most things, don't you think?
Of course - I was trying to laugh at my own goofy ways rather than criticize the camera. I KNOW the camera will be excellent. As I said, I'll probably convince myself I need one at some point. And if I do I'll probably enjoy it immensely. But I know that I will not take any better (or even different) photographs with it than I would with any of my m43 cams with the 17mm lens onboard, with my LX5 set to 35mm on the step zoom, or even with my Nex at 24mm (with a possible exception for the Nex because it does seem to fundamentally change my approach to shooting - but probably not enough to really alter the results much). So, in the long run, I seriously doubt I'll look on it as a wise purchase. But for anyone who's comfortable with a fixed 35mm focal length and the tradeoffs that a larger sensor represents, I have no doubts this camera will flat out rock!

For anyone who ultimately gets one, I hope you love it!!!! And that might end up including me! :cool:

I hope nothing I've written came off as critical of anyone who may buy this camera - other than myself!

-Ray

Andy, I am sure there will be a number up for sale from people who may not have thought carefully about the camera....or if it turns out the camera is terrible.;)

P.S. And when those cameras do go up for sale, they should go for a bit cheaper so that will be a big plus.(y)

I'm 99% convinced that it won't be a terrible camera. I think it will be wonderful but it will be like the Leica X1, Great camera with a few serious shortfalls. People really do need to think about if this camera suites their needs or not and not jump in with both eye's shut which is what i tend to do! :D If i had the choice i think i would still have the Leica X1 but I'm very very happy with my E-Pl2 and GF-1. I also love the E-P1 but not sure if it is going to stay as i have absolutely no need for it.

I have never known so much attention for a camera before! I just hope it is as good as it looks. I know you will only buy one if it meets your needs so I'm really interested in what you are going to make of it.

It better not be a terrible camera! I think there are people clearing out there mFT and P&S inventory just to get this thing. It would be a travesty of epic proportions for the camera to be a dud.

I think one of the reasons why there is so much attention is because it is Fuji. They haven't really done much in this sort of arena before.

I hope nothing I've written came off as critical of anyone who may buy this camera - other than myself!

-Ray
I certainly did not take offense Ray, and the smile on your face came through via my reading your words.:th_salute:

Andy, the Leica X1 did get an awful lot of attention...but maybe I was just more aware of it? I think that's how it is sometimes... Whenever I've been in the market for a car, and say I had been thinking about a MINI, then I would seem to be seeing them all over the place...and reading Motoringfile and MotorTrends and all those other auto blogs... It's probably the same with specific more niche market cameras, as well, don't you think? Plus, "we" as in the :drama: version, do tend to hype things up a bit, as well. I am certainly guilty as self charged. I was much more under the radar with the X1.
angel_not.gif

P.S. Good point about it being a Fuji phenom, DJ.

Personally, for me, I'm just scratching the surface of the mFT thing. Look at it this way, my previous camera was an FZ20 3.1mp camera which suited me well for 5 years. I'm in now hurry to move on. I think the only way I'd get rid of my PEN at this point is if Panasonic or Olympus could make a compact body with good ergonomics for larger hands. Without moving up to the G line of cameras, I'm stuck with what I have.

He likes that GXR doesn't he, and the G12, though I think he's being a bit shortsighted not including the mu43 cameras in his list.;) Thanks Andrew - all the news that's fit to print!

Back