Fuji Introduces New X100S - Claims Worlds Fastest Autofocus

The release pace of "improved versions" by camera makers starts to resemblance the one practiced by the computer industry. Time to adjust buying habbits: Buy at substantial discounts 9-12 months after new products were released and skip one if not at least two generations of "improvements".

yes catch the trailing edge of the wave ;)

The release pace of "improved versions" by camera makers starts to resemblance the one practiced by the computer industry. Time to adjust buying habbits: Buy at substantial discounts 9-12 months after new products were released and skip one if not at least two generations of "improvements".

I agree, especially in the case of micro four thirds. But, specifically in Fuji's case, the prices of the X100 and X10 haven't moved much: Two brief X100 sales with a $200 discount and the regular street price of the X10 seems to have dropped by $50. I guess we should see what happens to X100 and X10 prices now.

I seem to be overwhelmingly attracted to the leading edge of the waves I surf. To keep that seemingly inevitable surfing practice reasonably within budgetary constraints, I just limit the number of waves I surf. I'm pretty heavily into m43, I'm into the Fuji X-Pro, but more as a secondary camera, so I'll never grow the system much, but I'll probably keep it fairly current. And I'll always have some sort of compact. I can afford to be stupid as long as I limit the scope of my stupidity. If I was to develop a taste for high end DSLRs or Leicas or medium format or something, I'd be in real trouble and would get tossed off the back of all of them.

-Ray

I seem to be overwhelmingly attracted to the leading edge of the waves I surf. To keep that seemingly inevitable surfing practice reasonably within budgetary constraints, I just limit the number of waves I surf. I'm pretty heavily into m43, I'm into the Fuji X-Pro, but more as a secondary camera, so I'll never grow the system much, but I'll probably keep it fairly current. And I'll always have some sort of compact. I can afford to be stupid as long as I limit the scope of my stupidity. If I was to develop a taste for high end DSLRs or Leicas or medium format or something, I'd be in real trouble and would get tossed off the back of all of them.

-Ray

You know what? I think if I were starting from scratch right now, I might limit myself to three interesting compacts (not systems) at any given time. Right now, maybe one of them would be the the Fuji X100s, maybe another would be the Sony RX100. The third? The jury's still out. Maybe the X20. Or maybe a rugged camera like the Oly TG-1. There'd have to be something to differentiate them. But, as Ray alludes to in his remarks, swapping and "upgrading" would be a lot cheaper and easier if one doesn't have to buy lenses to go with new cameras.

Oh man, I would love slightly faster focusing. I guess otherwise I am set with mine. Still VERY happy to hear that they're still advancing and pushing it, because it means my chances of scoring a good used X-E1 in a few years is even better.

I love my X100 and we are talking about .08 seconds here or something to that effect. Really how much faster does it need to be if the .08 seconds is correct. I will assume that is under ideal conditions but it's just not that slow to begin with. I was discussing this with someone the other day and I realized virtually all the photography I admire was done with manual focus film cameras, so I just remain unconvinced that faster auto focus immediately translates into better photography.

Also- I used my X100 a lot this weekend. It's still an awesome camera. I will be upgrading but no way I'd sell the original. I'll just put the 28 converter on the original. That way I have 28 and 35, 2 of my three favorite focal lengths. :)

I'm really impressed with Fuji.

FG X100s - Hands On Preview - YouTube

They've done it right! They've done the auto-ISO right! (from 6m50s)

Not only that, this is the best implementation for auto-ISO I've seen, with a sub menu under "auto" to set all three variables you could set (in a whole separate and largely inaccessible menu) on the original X100. I also think I saw one photo with a "Q" button on the back, but the Fuji Guys video still shows a raw button. Looks like a pretty impressive upgrade, assuming it all works and no major glitches (like SAB).

-Ray

it looks like they finally got everything right?....

I don't want to be too much of a damper, because I'm really impressed and even dangerously intrigued by what I'm seeing too, but everything looked equally amazing when the first marketing material showed up for the X100 and X10, and those two cameras had more than their share of problems. They're trying some really cool and really complex stuff here, but there's a good chance it won't ALL work flawlessly right off the bat. But then again, if it DOES, it looks pretty impressive!

-Ray

I don't want to be too much of a damper, because I'm really impressed and even dangerously intrigued by what I'm seeing too, but everything looked equally amazing when the first marketing material showed up for the X100 and X10, and those two cameras had more than their share of problems. They're trying some really cool and really complex stuff here, but there's a good chance it won't ALL work flawlessly right off the bat. But then again, if it DOES, it looks pretty impressive!

-Ray

and like you said, i was one of those early adopters of the x100, but also early to leave it and sell it.

but this seems like they addressed all the glitches in the camera. If this actually works as in the video, and like in the video, i might jump in....again! now if they ad that AF and split image thing onto the XE1, and that would be it for me!

Not only that, this is the best implementation for auto-ISO I've seen, with a sub menu under "auto" to set all three variables you could set (in a whole separate and largely inaccessible menu) on the original X100. I also think I saw one photo with a "Q" button on the back, but the Fuji Guys video still shows a raw button. Looks like a pretty impressive upgrade, assuming it all works and no major glitches (like SAB).

-Ray

If you watch the video and freeze it at 45 seconds.... It definitely has a Q button to the lower right of the stupid wheel where the current RAW button is. I wish they had given it the 4 way controller on the X Pro.

If you watch the video and freeze it at 45 seconds.... It definitely has a Q button to the lower right of the stupid wheel where the current RAW button is. I wish they had given it the 4 way controller on the X Pro.

Yeah, the DPR previews are up for both of these cameras now and Fuji has clearly abandoned the idea of a raw button and switched to "Q" menu buttons on both. As I think was the obvious choice...

-Ray

Back