Showcase Fuji 18mm f/2 R

Discussion in 'Fuji' started by Tdp, Feb 3, 2013.

1. tonyturley

tonyturley Hall of Famer

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    I've seen comments where people soundly bashed the 18mm f2. When I got my first one, I wondered if they were talking about the same lens. The only reason I let the first one go was to fund the 23mm f2. I'm planning to keep both this time.

2. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    I had sorta the opposite experience with the 23 1.4 lens. I read glowing review after review, and couldn't order it fast enough. Once the initial joy of having my old familiar X100 FOV with an extra stop back, I started looking at the shots, and not liking how it performs wide open, even without pixel peeping. It's really the only purchase I've regretted (if you don't count with 14 2.8, which was a great lens that I just couldn't "see" through).

3. tonyturley

tonyturley Hall of Famer

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    If you're interested, I got mine from a seller in Thailand. $300, brand new in box. Grey market, yes, but I've bought from the seller before with no problem.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bobby Tingle

Bobby Tingle Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    That's a great price.

5. Tim Williams

Tim Williams Top Veteran

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida
    Timothy Williams
    After looking at these images I'm tempted. These are way better than what I've heard about this lens. Perfect little carry on the XT1.

6. Bobby Tingle

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    I never gave the 18mm a fair try. Had one for a couple of months then dropped it the second the 16mm was available.

7. Tim Williams

Tim Williams Top Veteran

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida
    Timothy Williams
    Yeah well, I'm not selling my 16 to fund anything . I don't need it everyday, but when I need it I NEED IT Lol. It has something I just can't put into words other than Magical. When I get mobile again I think the 90 will fall into this category. The 35 has already proven to be an ultra sharp keeper, so the 18 could just be that , I want to have fun lens:2thumbs:

• Like Like x 2
  8. tonyturley

tonyturley Hall of Famer

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    I've tried telling myself I'm a one camera, one lens guy. But every time I've tried that, it didn't last long. I now have the 18 f2, 23 f2, 35 f2, and 50-230. I like them all, and they all have their uses. I truly wish I could discipline myself to stick with one camera and lens, but I also don't have a "niche" in photography. Sometimes I like to do nature close-ups; sometimes I like wide, expansive waterfall shots; sometimes I like snapping images of critters in the yard. Sigh.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tim Williams

Tim Williams Top Veteran

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida
    Timothy Williams
    Tony, I feel your pain.:thiagree:

10. lakemcd

lakemcd Rookie

Feb 7, 2016
    Gary
    Could you send me contact info on this, thanks.

11. Bobby Tingle

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Being a one camera with one, maybe two lenses is ideal for me. The reality of the different things I shoot have proven 3-4 lenses is the minimum. And in my current situation, that is also with "borrowing" the 50-230 from my son's kit on occasion.

I did make most of year at one time with the X-Pro2 with a 16/56 combo. Covering events, weddings, portraits, candids, and landscapes. The images I came away with were really good. I just had to keep the mindset that there were going to be several things I would miss and could do nothing about.

12. tonyturley

tonyturley Hall of Famer

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    Being just an enthusiast, I really don't need so much gear. I have thought quite a bit that I wished there was a way to use my imagery for more than just web posting and the occasional print, but I have no idea for how to get there. The market is saturated with people like me who discovered MILC over the past 5-10 years. I envy those who love photography and have found a way to derive a sustainable living from it.

And now I've taken the thread waaaaaay OT. :sorry: Back to the XF 18.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Tim Williams

Tim Williams Top Veteran

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida
    Timothy Williams
    I'm comparing the images on this forum between the 18 and the 27 (why oh why can't they make a 23 pancake ) and to my eye it's clear cut that I like the way this lens renders and I'm hard pressed to find one 27mm image that has pop.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bobby Tingle

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Of the two, I also much prefer the images I've seen from the 18mm.

15. Tim Williams

Tim Williams Top Veteran

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida
    Timothy Williams
    Yes and even though I have the 16, the 18 renders differently, in a good way. The 18 is softer but sometimes that's not a bad thing.

16. Anthony Wilkins

Anthony Wilkins Regular

Jun 2, 2016
    Anthony Wilkins
    They do make a 23mm pancake. It’s just permanently attached to a wonderful series of cameras ;)

• Like Like x 5
  17. Tim Williams

Tim Williams Top Veteran

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida
    Timothy Williams
    I thought of that but, that opens a whole new can of worms.:doh:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2018
  18. Bobby Tingle

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    I found one from the archives
    i-hCcZc2D-L.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  19. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    I'd say my emtional "file" on the 27 is, roughly:

- Always enjoy actually using it, it's tiny, focus is quick enough, it's TINY, and also it's pretty small. Oh and it's tiny.
    - Sometimes surprised by a good image from it, more often just so-so about what comes out of the camera.

20. Plaatje

Plaatje Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 4