From DPR: New Nikon F digital

wt21

Hall of Famer
Nikon video hints at long-desired 'digital FM'

check out the video (posted from the official Nikon YouTube account)

Looks real enough. Rumored price point: $3,000.

Two thoughts:

1) If it's mirrorless (and that isn't completely clear yet, though many rumors say not mirrorless), it might convince me to switch from Canon to Nikon, but maybe not right away
2) At rumored $3K, it's a nice protection to Fuji's price point. The XE1 pricing looks very nice. FF Nikon F at $3K or Fuji at ~$1K.

It is a retro styled camera w/ a mirror:
http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/new-nikon-df-retro-camera-is-ncie-but-not-mirrorless/
Nikon-retro-FX-camera_zps51589ce6.jpg

Specs:
http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/will-nikon-announce-a-hybrid-mirrorless-ff-camera-too/

•16,2MP 36×23,9 full frame sensor (same as in the D4?)
•Dimensions: 143,5 x 110 x 66,5mm
•Weight: 765g

I think once DPR posts a rumour on their site, you can sort of count on it being true. However if it's just a clasically styled DSLR, I don't think I'll be interested, regardless of price point.

First off, I am sure they will sell container ships full of them.

But... seems like Nikon thinks all of this mirrorless interest is just a "retro" thing.

F mount means not mirrorless. So it's just a DSLR that looks like an SLR. It's a step forward, because DSLR bodies are ugly, but it's certainly not revolutionary.....unless I'm missing something.

F mount means not mirrorless. So it's just a DSLR that looks like an SLR. It's a step forward, because DSLR bodies are ugly, but it's certainly not revolutionary.....unless I'm missing something.

Or unless the size is consistent with many of the SLR's of the era, which were OMD sized or slightly larger, but not close to most of today's DSLRs. Still, $3000 when you can get a D600/610 or a Canon 6D for about $2000 seems a bit much.

-Ray

I just don't get why they don't do their version of the A7/A7R with the V1's hybrid PDAF and ability to take Nikon FX lenses.

Okay, I do get it... it would cannibalize sales of their DSLRs.

Those FM2 era SLRs were basically Leica M sized, and some decent AI/AIS glass on a digital FM2 with a split prism finder is something I could really appreciate. Not at $3k for the body though. I think $2k at introduction is where they need to be for this sort of thing.

Relative to the size of his face that looks like a very big camera. Unless it's just a guy with a small head and big hands:)

I agree with the comment above that I hope this is not a 'retro' thing alone.

I'd really like the idea of small mirroless camera that comes with a mount that can take any Nikon SLR lens be it AF or AI.

But it has to be a serious camera like the A7/7r and not a retro-plaything.

LouisB

I love classical cameras, but I am not much for remakes. I would love a small, modern design, DSLR - with a streamlined design and the classical controls directly accessible. Having said so, the FM2/3 design was as intemporal as the Leica M design. I like to have the aperture control in the lens ring, but this new camera apparently is coming with a "G" lens.

Having a lot of Nikon F glass, I will have to fight the urge on this one. If some of the prerelease specs prove true, it could be a X100 or X100s type hit and a lot of fun to use.

Back