Sony From "a bar of soap" to my system of choice.

Next to IQ, interface is key.
I always thought that next to interface, IQ is key... :cool:

But then, I've never had anyone threaten to buy anything I've done and I'm not out trying to sell it, so my concerns are different.

But I agree. Folks like you and David are pros. Most of us on this board are not - we're enthusiasts. Our needs and priorities are different. Plenty of good choices for photographers at every level. More good choices coming. The "IT" camera today will be tomorrow's yard sale find.

To quote Talking Heads, same as it ever was, same as it ever was. And I'm at least as guilty as anyone.....

-Ray

I'm guilty for moving from camera to camera. Why do I feel it necessary? Easy answer.
Photography is not a hobby to me. I am not an enthusiast. I do event work for money and... I have collectors, galleries and museums that buy my work.
So when I see that an issues is in my finished work, meaning prints mostly, I have to resolve it.
If that means trading cameras, then so be it.
Sure, for my personal work almost anything is ok until....
it has to go to print. If I show a series to a collector and the images are say 11 x 14 and the collector ask for 16 x 20.... Well what should I do?

David is a seasoned pro also. If he's moving in a direction, I for one pay close attention.
There's a reason for everything. Next to IQ, interface is key. I can't do an event and worry about interface getting in the way. So I guess I'm guilty of being a seeker of the camera that helps me find and capture the light.
Photography is my life's work. This forum is my hobby....

I can't think of a single word of that I disagree with. Nicely put.

None of us actually owe any of these companies anything, unless we work for them. Its our decision to go with what we think works for us at any given time. If we are content to stay with one system, even one camera for an extended period of time then there's nothing wrong with that. As Don says, there's also nothing wrong with changing systems if you have the inclination to do so and the financial means to make it possible.

At any given time, one R & D department may have the edge on another, and as was pointed out there's a lot of leapfrogging that goes on. Technology is an ongoing, developing, ever improving roller coaster, and the idea of a camera that lasts the best part of a lifetime, which was often the case in the days of film, is an idea thats long gone.

Apart from anything else, its a constant expansion of possibilities, the ability to try something new, to improve what you do and create a better finished product.

I refuse to restrict myself. I know there will never come a time when I say "Thats it, I'm done." (Well there will, but I won't be paying much attention to anything!!) The best I can hope for is something like "Well thats the closest to what I want, I can get for now." Then along comes something that gives me a totally different approach, a new way of doing things and a range of possibilities that I didn't even know existed.

Its not a crime to upgrade cameras on a regular basis, its not a crime to want something bigger, better, more versatile, faster. Equally its not a virtue to stick with the same thing over a period of time. It is what it is, a choice. We may suffer some pangs of guilt that we are spending so much money to satisfy our desire for something better when there are many in this world who don't have enough to eat, but then thats true of our entire lifestyles and not just what camera (s) we choose to buy. And of course in the current economic climate, its almost our patriotic duty to go and spend some money!

I also never have a problem with changing my mind. For seeing something in a different light. To bring it back to the discussion, I didn't like the NEX system when it first appeared, now I do. Things change, I change and again I see nothing wrong with that. Ultimately its my money, I've earnt it, and with regard to what cameras I use its my choice as to what I spend it on. If I perceive an advantage with one product over another, then I'll go with it. If I get a sense of excitement from the direction one company is going in then I'll go with that too. However I've been around long enough to realise that just because somebody brings out something I'm interested in this year, then thats not necessarily going the be the case next year.

I dealt with these issues on my blog at the weekend, and I got what can only be described as "hate email" from the enthusiasts for a certain camera system. This is plainly ridiculous but shows what can be stirred up by this. For some reason, and I have no idea why, according to a survey I read camera ownership is apparently the second likeliest cause for "dispute" after supporting a football team. That puts it above religion and politics! Whether this is true or not I cannot say, but reading some forums on a particularly heated day certainly makes it seem entirely possible.

We all have to make the best judgements we can, with the available information we have. In the age of the internet, we do have more than we ever did when we relied on personal contacts and the odd magazine article. My perception of where m4/3 is going and how I feel it will impact on me is a result of this "information" and I try to sift through it as best I can. Since I do change gear very frequently, its also essential for my financial wellbeing. My perception currently is that the aforementioned "bar of soap" is giving me the options for how I want to work currently. I'm quite prepared for it to be something different in 6 months time. On the day a new Bond film is announced, perhaps the most appropriate phrase to end on is "Never say never again".

Spec wise, cameras like the NEX(T) look great. What they are lacking, though, is passion in design and execution. Electronic gadgets spit out every few months by an electronic giant, which has to grow top line year after year. Cameras are a means to an end. We have seen half a dozen NEX(T) in about a year or so. This is why all of them will be irrelevant, eventually. So all I can say is: NEXT, please.
Sorry for the little rant. Just sold my NEX5 on Amazon after it collected dust in a closet for more than a year. No more NEX for me.

Sony is no more a camera company than Panasonic.

I disagree - Sony makes an entire line of professional broadcast and movie quality video cameras and has been a leading maker in the portable side of that field since portable news gathering cameras were first invented - Sony Betacams were all over the world covering stories from different perspectives that weren't easily possible with a tethered system. Now we take that portability for granted. No, I think Sony earned their chops quite legitimately in TV.

Their experience with video gives them advantages in still photography as well. For example, of great interest to manual focus lens users, focus peaking is a feature that came straight from professional video cameras costing upwards of fifty grand or much more.

Maybe Sony is later to the still photography game than other makers, but I don't believe that necessarily penalizes them. Any company that can make the sensors, ICs, display panels small and large, firmware, bodies and lenses really should be taken seriously. With some of their later designs it does seem that they are reaching out more and more to "serious" enthusiasts and working professionals. I would expect we'll still see them around in the years to come.

There are inherent issues with the NEX (short flange-back being one)

If one is arguing in favor of m4/3, that mount is only 2mm deeper and would thus carry the same "inherent issues" albeit tempered somewhat by the shallower angles afforded by a smaller sensor. The Leica M mount - which has the same issues with wide angle lenses that must be taken into account with sensor and firmware adaptations - as a flange distance 9.2mm deeper than the Sony's... but maybe the challenge is a draw there since the sensor is full frame.

Updates to the 5N have demonstrated that a little engineering and sensor progress can make up for the short flange focal distance if indeed it is a design challenge and not merely a factor that caught camera designers by surprise - the popularity of adapting other lenses to the platform. It may be in the long run that it isn't an inherent issue but a decided advantage. Anyway... progress has been made (5N) and other makers are addressing this need (Ricoh, Leica) so the jury remains out as far as I am concerned.

An aside: I'd be ok with slightly thicker cameras. Just doing away with mirrors and pentaprisms and *winders* (ugh) does a lot to make cameras smaller and lighter. I actually stayed away from NEX because I thought they looked too small! My 30 year old film SLR body is actually not much bigger than a Fuji X100.

A thought: I wouldn't be surprised if the user community is leading the manufacturers rather than the other way around, or at least has been for a while. Surely Sony must originally been surprised at how popular their platform had become with users of alternative glass, even if they contemplated it during the design. I wonder if the design was just one of those happy accidents.

If anything the huge interest in compact cameras, and in alt glass on compact cameras, must absolutely have convinced makers that they have lots of market opportunity to go after so the future can only get better all-around for photographers seeking small, portable, high quality systems. What a great time to be a photographer!

(edits for clarity if not brevity)

I see that some change cameras, even systems, much more often than I do, and the reasons given make sense for their circumstances. It might be because they need to maximize a certain aspect for pro work, or because they like the latest thing, or even because a particular camera helps them produce what they like to shoot.

I suppose there are some who also chase the latest camera in the hope that it will be the one that makes them a better photographer.

This particular report resonated with me because the Nex 7 appears, on paper, to answer some of my needs and preferences that are not being met by M4/3. When I was shooting FF I admired Sony's dedication to UI and manual controls on their A850/900. I found it much better than Canon, though not enough to switch. Sony have applied some of this same approach to the 7: the UI looks carefully considered.

But two larger things stand out for me, based on my desire to have, if possible, one system. First, while the 7 is larger than an EP3 or GX1, even with the larger Sony lenses the overall set is lighter and less bulky than a DSLR, yet offers the IQ I desire. Second, there is the VF.

I have been consistent in my desire for a broadly rangefinder shaped camera with built-in VF, extensive manual controls and IQ that allows me to stay with one system. The Nex 7 ticks the boxes so far. I don't regard it as the latest and greatest must have camera - I haven't purchased a new camera in two years. I do regard it as a camera that answers some key desires.

I am in no rush though, and am interested to see what Fuji produce. Nice to have choices.

I am in no rush though, and am interested to see what Fuji produce. Nice to have choices.

I think 2012 is going to be crazy good for mirrorless CSC! Most likely new bodies from the existing players, probably a new lens roadmap from Sony. Then we should have new systems from Fuji and Canon. I also remember rumors about a larger sensor mirrorless from Nikon and then something else big coming from Pentax (or Ricoh now?). Anyone else I am forgetting? All of a sudden, the market is sounding kinda crowded, or DSLRs will get lonely?

With the existing players, probably new bodies from all, and a new lens roadmap for Nex (not trying to be snarky).

I think both of you make some good points here. Much of what you say is present in my own thinking.

There's an anecdote I repeat endlessly on my blog about an interview my nephew and I had with Sony at a show earlier this year. (If you've read it before, then just ignore this post)

They were targeting what they saw as enthusiasts / professionals and doing fairly in depth interviews with them. This was one to one, lasted about 20 minutes and didn't involve sharing any email adresses, phone no's etc. All our responses were recorded in full, it wasn't just tick boxes.

There were some questions about whether we would like some gadgety type features built into a NEX camera, all very like mobile phone features. We of course said we didn't, and the interviewer that that was by far the most common response. We gave a series of what you might describe as enthusiast / pro responses like, "The a55 is a great idea, but it needs to be housed in a better body" "NEX IQ is great but it needs a viewfinder and some more "traditional" type features. etc. etc. You can probably guess the rest. My nephew talked about video mainly as that is his speciality.

I talked to the interviewer and he said that they were getting almost universal agreement as to what this "market" wanted, and that all my responses had been echoed again and again. All this feedback was going to be sent back to SONY HQ. The upshot of all this was that the a77 was almost exactly everything I wanted, the NEX-7 was announced and the other additions to the NEX system, particularly the viewfinder and fast primes was again something that I went on about at great length. As I said I was far from unique in my responses and it seems a lot of others had the same "wants list"

Now this may mean nothing, just some PR exercise, or it may be significant. However, as a long time visitor to trade shows, customer at various long established photographic chains, both mass market and pro, this is the only time I've ever got to talk directly to a camera manufacturer and have my views recorded. (Accurately and in some depth)

All of us I'm sure, have seen over the years post after post on the internet talking about a CSC that (I'm summarising here) is more "pro-like", has a viewfinder built-in, is a bit more traditionally minded and styled and a bit less gadget-driven. I'm not saying that this is what everybody wants, but I don't think that anyone would deny that there is a fairly vociferous group of people who want this.

A common response is that the people who want these kind of features are a tiny minority and the mass-market point and shooters are what really matters to manufacturers. Well, am I being naive in thinking that Sony don't seem to share that view? The NEX-7 is surely an attempt at a "serious" CSC, and by the general murmerings of approval on the forums it seems to be addressing many of the concerns of this enthusiast/hobbyist/serious/pro lobby, call it what you will.

While I'm not saying that these issues, and this "type" of photographer are ignored completely by other companies, they are not, my current reading of whats going on seems to point me in the direction of the orange a, as the most likely to take account of my/our concerns. I am indeed one of those retro fanboy/brought up on film/viewfinder loving/nouveau traditionalist (did I just make that up?)/gadget suspicious photographers who embrace technology but are concerned that this isn't at the expense of many of the "old school" ways of working that still deliver the goods.

This may be me getting it wrong, but the proof is I guess in how closely a companies offerings match up with my "wish list". At the moment its Sony. While I'm not convinced by the aesthetics of what they offer (I still think the NEX is pretty ugly) they come closest to what I want, and I think to what a lot of others want also.

And you may think that this is grossly mistaken, but I have this impression that they do listen, and they are prepared to change direction. There's a rumour circulating that they have torn up their lens "road map" and are going to be looking to make some pancake primes. Good news for all us retro fanboy/brought up on film/viewfinder loving....etc. etc.

But two larger things stand out for me, based on my desire to have, if possible, one system. First, while the 7 is larger than an EP3 or GX1, even with the larger Sony lenses the overall set is lighter and less bulky than a DSLR, yet offers the IQ I desire. Second, there is the VF.

I have been consistent in my desire for a broadly rangefinder shaped camera with built-in VF, extensive manual controls and IQ that allows me to stay with one system. The Nex 7 ticks the boxes so far. I don't regard it as the latest and greatest must have camera - I haven't purchased a new camera in two years. I do regard it as a camera that answers some key desires.

Maybe Sony is later to the still photography game than other makers, but I don't believe that necessarily penalizes them. Any company that can make the sensors, ICs, display panels small and large, firmware, bodies and lenses really should be taken seriously. With some of their later designs it does seem that they are reaching out more and more to "serious" enthusiasts and working professionals. I would expect we'll still see them around in the years to come.

A thought: I wouldn't be surprised if the user community is leading the manufacturers rather than the other way around, or at least has been for a while. Surely Sony must originally been surprised at how popular their platform had become with users of alternative glass, even if they contemplated it during the design. I wonder if the design was just one of those happy accidents.

If anything the huge interest in compact cameras, and in alt glass on compact cameras, must absolutely have convinced makers that they have lots of market opportunity to go after so the future can only get better all-around for photographers seeking small, portable, high quality systems. What a great time to be a photographer!

There's a rumour circulating that they have torn up their lens "road map" and are going to be looking to make some pancake primes. Good news for all us retro fanboy/brought up on film/viewfinder loving....etc. etc.

Where did you come across this rumour David? I'll be happy if they are adding some extra primes, pancake or not, but I hope these are in addition to, rather than instead of, the promised WA zoom and G level standard zoom - I was rather looking forward to both of these.

BTW, thanks for all your writing on the recent Sony kit on your blog. It's been very interesting and enlightening, especially since I managed to spend a little time with the A77 recently.

Ray. A camera must deliver the goods. The goods being the image first. Who cares if a camera works great but doesn't deliver the IQ. On the other hand, a really great IQ with a not so great interface can be overcome. The happy medium of course is to have both interface and an IQ one can live with.
We both know the issues we had with the Nex 5. Great IQ, one of the best. The small issues with the interface turned us both off. I can see you sitting all perturbed about the auto ISO thing.
Anyway, not to pick on any camera, there's always compromise.
The interface I can work around but the IQ, that's a no no.

So, I stand by my last statement about interface & IQ.
Thanks everyone, this is a great thread.

PS.... Allabody, you may think that your a hobbiest, an enthusiast, a pro etc... You may think your needs are different then others.... It's not.
We all want a camera that delivers great IQ and the ease of getting it.
Our initial needs may appear to be different but that's an invisible issue.

Where did you come across this rumour David? I'll be happy if they are adding some extra primes, pancake or not, but I hope these are in addition to, rather than instead of, the promised WA zoom and G level standard zoom - I was rather looking forward to both of these.

Its here:-
sonyalpharumors | Blog | (SR4) Sony is changing the NEX lens roadmap (including new NEX pancakes)

Just to add, I do agree with you that I hope they add these in rather than replace what they have planned. There is a real need for a WA zoom. I currently trying to come up with a solution to this, as the Voigtlander 12mm apparently produces horrible results on a NEX-7 and the a-mount 11-18mm isn't exactly what I had in mind.

Ray. A camera must deliver the goods. The goods being the image first. Who cares if a camera works great but doesn't deliver the IQ. On the other hand, a really great IQ with a not so great interface can be overcome. The happy medium of course is to have both interface and an IQ one can live with.
We both know the issues we had with the Nex 5. Great IQ, one of the best. The small issues with the interface turned us both off. I can see you sitting all perturbed about the auto ISO thing.
Anyway, not to pick on any camera, there's always compromise.
The interface I can work around but the IQ, that's a no no.
I gotcha Don, but I think folks who aren't trying to print real large can have very different standards about what's adequate IQ. And the kind of stuff we shoot matters too. For the kind of higher contrast B&W I tend to do an awful lot of, IQ really doesn't matter much at the sizes I print (WHEN I print, which is rarely). I like the GRD3 well enough for a lot of shooting and, while its a great camera and has great IQ for a subcompact, nobody would compare it to m43 or APS. But I have a couple of 12x18 prints of stuff I shot with it that I like as much as anything I've printed. I shot this with my iphone in hipstamatic mode (tweaked slightly with SEP2) and I'm more than happy with it - it probably wouldn't sell at any larger print size, but for my purposes its great:

View attachment 43879

That said, m43 seems to be the sweet spot for me for a system camera. I can DEFINITELY see the difference between the X100 and m43 when I'm working with the files, and could with the Nex too when I had it. And I have a couple of X100 shots that would not have looked as good shot with m43. But the VAST majority of what I shoot will come out looking as good with m43 as it would with APS or full frame, as long as I don't go to some enormous print size, which I don't. As much as I love the GRD3, I'm coming to like the EPL3 with the 12mm lens at least as much for street shooting - its just about as easy to shoot with on the fly and there just seems to be more room for error than with the GRD3 - I wouldn't say I like the best shots more, but I like a higher percentage of the shots I get with it. The only really compelling reason to shoot with the GRD3 in comparison is the silent shutter, which matters in some situations, but not most. I think a noisy shutter might have been an issue for the shooting I did on the AC boardwalk last summer, but on the street of Philly, I've never had anyone react to the sound of the m43 or Nex cams I've shot with. The EPL3 with the 14 is even about as small as the GRD3 when the lens is open and working...

So I get what you're saying and respect it fully, but I think good enough IQ is a question with different answers for different people in different situations. Your work is a good deal subtler than mine, most of the time. So that's one reason it matters more, and your need to print larger is another reason. But there are just different sets of tradeoffs that work for different folks in different circumstances. I mean, if the ultimate in IQ was always the most important thing, we'd all be shooting full frame DSLRs, no?

BTW, your allusion to the problems we both had with the Nex 5 and the mention of the Auto ISO - did you mean the X100? I never had any problems with the interface of the Nex 5 - I seemed to be the only one, but I thought it was just ducky, although I'd have liked an AEL/AFL button. The ONLY issue I ever had or have with the Nex of any variety was the current and projected native lens choices. If they really do solve that one, I may give it another look. The X100 has a couple of interface issues but I've totally gotten around them and the auto ISO thing doesn't bother me at all from a practical standpoint - I just sort of bugs me philosophically. But I'm not much of a philosopher so I don't actually dwell on it. On those days when I still DO feel like shooting with a viewfinder (and I have them, just kind of rarely), the X100 is my favorite camera, maybe ever...

-Ray

Thanks David for your NEX thread.
You like the EVF? Or do you still prefer an OVF?

Unless its dark the Sony EVF is just like an OVF. It looks the same. It does break up a bit when theres very little light, but then if I'm using an OVF in the dark, its .....dark! So overall I think a (good) EVF gives better vision. Plus you don't get that "tunnel" look that so many APS-C EVF's have. Unless you're using the current Panasonic add on that is!!

There's an anecdote I repeat endlessly on my blog about an interview my nephew and I had with Sony at a show earlier this year. (If you've read it before, then just ignore this post)

Thanks David for repeating this anecdote. I have to admit I don't read your blog (sorry). But I can now see how, based on this anecdote, you might feel Sony is listening to enthusiasts in a way that other companies aren't. I've no idea, of course, but the NEX7 seems to be a spot of proof.

I'm still confused, though, about your glowing praise for the EP3 and then the 45mm 1.8, but then only a handful of weeks later, to declare that the NEX is really the "it" camera, even though the 7 had already been announced and this interview event (I'm assuming) took place some time ago, long before the review of the EP3 and the 45mm.

(edit -- I've now seen some of your posts on the love you still have for the EP3 + 12 and 45. I think I understand now. You WANT to love that camera, but the sensor isn't doing it for you. I can understand that completely).

I don't want to make this about just one person. This is how it's going on right now in the camera market, and it's hard for me as a simple enthusiast to take these internet reviews to heart when the next thing is always the greatest (I see this all over: Luminous Landscape, Steve Huff, with most of the reviewers. I don't mean to pick on your review. It just seems to be an industry thing).

A common response is that the people who want these kind of features are a tiny minority and the mass-market point and shooters are what really matters to manufacturers.

I see this sentiment a lot, and I don't believe it. No one builds an interchangeable lens system with more than 2 lenses, if they are only after the "soccer mom" market. I know a lot of "mass market" people here in the States, at least, with a 4 year old DSLR, sporting an unstabilized kit lens. And that's it. When they ask me what they should do to improve their pictures, mostly I tell them to buy a new $100 lens, though I've got a couple onto Pens.

Sure, there may be a lot of them in the mass market, but I spend likely $1,000+ dollars per year on my equipment as an enthusiast. Over three years, I think I've spent probably $5,000 in various purchases. That's an awful lot of people buying and holding onto single body and single lenses for four years (if you're lucky they might also get a long zoom as a second lens) to make up for what I (and others on this board) spend.

Malcolm Gladwell's "The Tipping Point" lays out how early adopters and thought leaders (like yourself) ultimately influence the mass market. How the market won't "tip" for you, unless you win the thought leaders. (Right now, the market thought leaders are talking up CSC, which is good, but no single brand has won out yet).

So, if certain manufacturers are ignoring the enthusiast market, they do so at their own peril, and judging by, e.g., the lens releases for m43, they are either NOT ignoring the enthusiast market, or they are really dumb, building lenses that the mass market will never buy (e.g. 8mm fisheye, 45mm 2.8 macro, 7-14 zoom, etc.).

I'm still confused, though, about your glowing praise for the EP3 and then the 45mm 1.8, but then only a handful of weeks later, to declare that the NEX is really the "it" camera,

Do you not concede its possible to like and use two cameras? I also never said that NEX is the "it" camera.

This is how it's going on right now in the camera market, and it's hard for me as a simple enthusiast to take these internet reviews to heart when the next thing is always the greatest (I see this all over: Luminous Landscape, Steve Huff, with most of the reviewers. I don't mean to pick on your review. It just seems to be an industry thing).

That isn't what I and the others you mention are doing. I've certainly never written anything remotely like you mention. To say such and such suits me better at this time, for reasons x, y and z is a different thing entirely.

No one builds an interchangeable lens system with more than 2 lenses, if they are only after the "soccer mom" market. I know a lot of "mass market" people here in the States, at least, with a 4 year old DSLR, sporting an unstabilized kit lens. And that's it.

Well yes. I've made the point often the mass point and shoot market, or however you like to describe it, doesn't spend anywhere near as much money on camera equipment as the "enthusiast" nor do they change systems so often, or go for new things. These "enthusiasts" are always the "big spenders" in the camera markeplace. I was just making the point that it seems to me that Sony seem to actively listen to this market and go out to service it. My further point is that I get the impression that other companies who would seem to have a natural affinity with these photographers can sometimes appear to be trying to go after other target consumers groups and ignore the very people who were great supporters of them and their products.

Malcolm Gladwell's "The Tipping Point" lays out how early adopters and thought leaders (like yourself) ultimately influence the mass market. How the market won't "tip" for you, unless you win the thought leaders. (Right now, the market thought leaders are talking up CSC, which is good, but no single brand has won out yet).

I certainly don't see myself in that role, and I suspect nobody else does either. My blog and my comments here and in other forums, are all to do with my experiences, my decisions and the thoughts I might have at any one time. I don't believe that the others you mention see themselves as that either. The tone of internet "reviewing" is peculiar, in that its much more blog style and "gonzo journalism" than the old lecturing tone of newspaper art critics with the "I know better than you, so I'll tell you what to like" tone that they employed.

I have a lot of time for people like Michael Reichmann at Luminous Landscape and Kirk Tuck. Partly because they are similar in many ways to my situation and the fact that I recognise a "kindred spirit" if you like. I will read what they say with care, as I respect them, their experience, their photography and the thoughtful way in which they write. However much as I've enjoyed Kirks recent pieces on the Nikon 1, I still think its a terrible camera and I'm not going near it with a bargepole!

So, if certain manufacturers are ignoring the enthusiast market, they do so at their own peril, and judging by, e.g., the lens releases for m43, they are either NOT ignoring the enthusiast market, or they are really dumb, building lenses that the mass market will never buy (e.g. 8mm fisheye, 45mm 2.8 macro, 7-14 zoom, etc.).

I certainly don't disagree with that. But what I've been writing about is where do the GF2, GF3 etc, fit into that, and does their introduction and the quest for the miniturisation of cameras and lenses have implications for my use of the system? I've written at some length about the virtues of m4/3, have used it extensively, enthused about it and spent an awful lot of money buying it. I would mention that currently I have 3 m4/3 camera and 5 m4/3 lenses sitting on my shelf. I just contributed to Hermans thread saying that the E-P3 and 12mm and 45mm lenses is my favourite camera system. I'm no rubbisher of m4/3. However, I do try and make my own assessment of where I think things are going, and there are certain elements of what both Panasonic and Olympus are up to (and I don't mean the current kerfuffle) which make me wonder whether I'll still be using their products in the future. This isn't a m4/3 v Sony thing, I don't do that. I've sold my Leica M9 and bought some Sony gear. That doesn't mean I suddenly don't like Leica, its an economic decision.

I try to write about what interests me in a non-partisan way but I also don't write in a way that looks to find something good in everything. Certain sites and magazines have advertising revenue to protect, and you can see it in many of their reviews. The desperate search to find something good to say about a product, in order to keep the advertisers on board, is often plain to see. However I make nothing from my writing, in fact it costs me money, so feel I can be little "freer" with my opinions. However I do always assume that people bring their own thoughts and opinions to anything I write. It is not my intention to persuade or convince and I really don't think I'm capable of that anyway. What I do try to do is relate my experiences and promote the idea of self discovery.

If I do have an "agenda" its don't believe what you read, ignore the endless repetition of untested and unproved dogma, and above all treat all internet punditry (including mine) with a liberal helping of skepticism.

David: Enjoyed very much reading your blog. I had been a Nikonian for many years; FM, FE, D70, D300, and then threw in the towel on the Nikons. Why? On trip to Disney with a back breaking pile of big glass. Why? So I came back from that and decided to go minimalist - I sold -ALL- of my nikon gear (except for the FE and one crappy old zoom lens) and went for the minimalist Fuji X-100.

What a great camera - and how refreshing!

No lenses to choose - APS-C sensor - and wow, the Fuji colors are something to brag about. It's a great camera system and the pictures are amazing! People would come up to me while shooting and ask how old my camera was - lol - but the shots - wow.

So I spent 6 months in the wilderness with one prime lens and learned a great deal. I am over the NAS (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome - too many lenses) and am back to creative mode with one nice prime.

Noticed the X-100 price start to fall - so rather than wait too long - I dumped it on eBay at a good price and decided to get back into the market for a "better system." Note that I am over Nikon, and was never able to fall in love with Canon. So I waited and then saw your gushing notes on the Sony system - and the Nex-5n in particular.

I am a believer in sensor size - and of light weight. The full frame stuff is tantalizing but the APS-C seems more vetted-out. The Sony NEX mount lenses seemed sparse - but with the recent introductions of the new lenses, and the ability to adaptor-mount /virtually/ any other brand - it seems the NEX is the way to go......

I ordered the NEX-5n with the kit 18-55mm lens (which seems astonishingly good.)

And I will likely covet and one day order the Zeiss f/1.8 24mm lens - but that is after I fall in love.

I think Sony is coming of age and it has been a revelation reading your articles on the Alpha and NEX cameras. Please continue writing and sharing your work! There are a throng of converts behind you!

Cheers,
drew

Back