Sony Focus Tracking...I'm impressed!

rpavich

Veteran
Well..I was messing around with face-detection and focus tracking and I must say, that focus tracking is impressive.

I tried to fool it and move around and be a bit "haphazard" and it nailed focus every time...and faster than a "focus recompose" approach too.

I think I'm going to try and use this more often.

Just FYI you use it by being in AF mode "center" or "multi" but NOT "multi-that-I-can-move-the-point-around" mode (that makes sense...why would you need to?)

Then you put the subject in the center of the frame, push the center button on the wheel, and a small box appears...push it again and it locks onto your target. Now wherever you recompose, that target is the "focus point" and when you "half press" that's the "go green" box area.

Give it a try!

Yeah, its pretty effective. Seems to work well on the Nex6 and my wife's RX100 too. When I'm shooting with any sort of DOF, I just focus and recompose, but for anything closeup or with really narrow DOF, I use the focus tracking a lot and it hasn't let me down yet.

-Ray

Well..I was messing around with face-detection and focus tracking and I must say, that focus tracking is impressive.

I tried to fool it and move around and be a bit "haphazard" and it nailed focus every time...and faster than a "focus recompose" approach too.

I think I'm going to try and use this more often.

Just FYI you use it by being in AF mode "center" or "multi" but NOT "multi-that-I-can-move-the-point-around" mode (that makes sense...why would you need to?)

Then you put the subject in the center of the frame, push the center button on the wheel, and a small box appears...push it again and it locks onto your target. Now wherever you recompose, that target is the "focus point" and when you "half press" that's the "go green" box area.

Give it a try!

Thanks for the reminder about this feature. I have probably only turned it on once.

Back