Flickr to Ipernity (SC Group set-up)

Well as with all things money, it depends how much you have to start with.

I just cancelled my Flickr PRO sub, which was about $25 a year, so about £15; I think Ipernity is £35 isn't it? More than I can afford at the moment just for the ability to post links.

Flickr is now a horrible horrible mess, but I'll maintain my account just to host pictures, and use my free Ipernity account more as a "portfolio"

Well as with all things money, it depends how much you have to start with.

I just cancelled my Flickr PRO sub, which was about $25 a year, so about £15; I think Ipernity is £35 isn't it? More than I can afford at the moment just for the ability to post links.

Flickr is now a horrible horrible mess, but I'll maintain my account just to host pictures, and use my free Ipernity account more as a "portfolio"

Euros 25 for 12 months - so just over £20

ipernity: ipernity Club

Oops I was looking at the 24 month sub. Yes, not far off same price.

I find the Ipernity groups much less active than Flickr ones. But then again I just dropped out of my favouite ones at Flickr because they seem to be increasingly populated with d*ckheads.

Just checked - I am Admin for four groups, moderator of one, and a member of a further 119... They are pretty well all active, some very much so. I find the level and quality of debate more encouraging than what I ever found on Flickr, which seemed relentlessly concerned with likes and badges.

when flickr's new layout happened, i was still given the option to go back to the old. today, i wondered why it was on the new layout. i no longer see the option to go back to the old. i don't like the new way of sharing images. at least give back the old embed codes. sad fais...

edit: i may work on my squarespace or smugmug (20% off w/trey ratcliff's code) sooner than later.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)
The old BB code is apparently still there - if you click the sharing icon then the pushpin icon, you get code which does work on SC - but without a caption.
Interestingly, I use the Pxstats app on my Nexus 7 tablet, and if you follow the link to a photo from there it shows you a web page in the old format! So it's still there somewhere, it must be within the wit of man to figure out where...

I'll maintain my account just to host pictures, and use my free Ipernity account more as a "portfolio"

This is pretty much my plan. Use flickr as a free backup service and display the images how I want on ipernity (or maybe somewhere else eventually). Although I have made some nice friends over at flickr, it is just no longer how I want to share or view images. I still visit every couple of weeks to see my friends' images.

The old BB code is apparently still there - if you click the sharing icon then the pushpin icon, you get code which does work on SC - but without a caption.
Interestingly, I use the Pxstats app on my Nexus 7 tablet, and if you follow the link to a photo from there it shows you a web page in the old format! So it's still there somewhere, it must be within the wit of man to figure out where...
yes, but as you may know, shows as links on tapatalk which is what i use 90%+ of the time for the majority of the forums i'm a member of. i have to be taken out of the app each time.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

Yeah, the BB code is there on both Flickr and Ipernity - no problem with linking to these forums. The thing missing is the straight copy of the URL for a particular size image, which is what you need to link to any of the DPR forums. But that's lurking in the BB code and it's not too tough to extract, so it's workable. I posted a photo on one of the DPR forums yesterday using that method and it worked fine. If I posted a lot of photos over there, it could be a real inconvenience. But I only put up a shot here or there, and it's really not that difficult. I was able to do that from the BB code found in Flcikr under the pushpin, but it wasn't readily available in the Ipernity BB code. I'd imagine it's there, but I just haven't bothered to try pulling it out yet...

-Ray

Yeah, the BB code is there on both Flickr and Ipernity - no problem with linking to these forums. The thing missing is the straight copy of the URL for a particular size image, which is what you need to link to any of the DPR forums. But that's lurking in the BB code and it's not too tough to extract, so it's workable. I posted a photo on one of the DPR forums yesterday using that method and it worked fine. If I posted a lot of photos over there, it could be a real inconvenience. But I only put up a shot here or there, and it's really not that difficult. I was able to do that from the BB code found in Flcikr under the pushpin, but it wasn't readily available in the Ipernity BB code. I'd imagine it's there, but I just haven't bothered to try pulling it out yet...

-Ray

Turns out it's easier than I thought to get the direct image URL from Flickr. It's not under the sharing options, but under the "Download / All Sizes" menu item. If you select a size and instead of downloading it you right-click and select "copy link address", it gives you a URL you can paste straight into DPR and it'll recognize it. Or, on that same page, there's a button I'd missed for "view all sizes" that takes you back to the same basic interface we used to have for viewing all sizes, it's just not quite as easy to get there.

I think once I find all of it's nooks and crannies, Flickr will still end up being what works for me...

-Ray

On flickr I see choices in the share menu for HTML and embed.....I don;t know where to see the BB code. On ipernity, I see no options for sharing (although I see a line making reference to buying a club membership to share images).

Am I really out of luck with both of these options or am I blind?

I set up a free acount with Imgur so I could Link pictures to this Forum.
Seems to work Fine.

Sent from my HTC One V using SeriousCompacts mobile app

On flickr I see choices in the share menu for HTML and embed.....I don;t know where to see the BB code. On ipernity, I see no options for sharing (although I see a line making reference to buying a club membership to share images).

On Ipernity, beside the photo there is a bar, with icons for Facebook and Twitter, etc. At the end of that bar it says "More options"; click on that. You will get a dropdown menu. 2/3 of the way dow it says "Share (HTML Code / BBCode)" click on that, and you get to the screen where you can select image size to share and code format to grab.

On Ipernity, beside the photo there is a bar, with icons for Facebook and Twitter, etc. At the end of that bar it says "More options"; click on that. You will get a dropdown menu. 2/3 of the way dow it says "Share (HTML Code / BBCode)" click on that, and you get to the screen where you can select image size to share and code format to grab.

This option isnt available on the free version.

Sent from my HTC One V using SeriousCompacts mobile app

Thanks Nic. And thanks Bill....but as Walter points out, no sharing for freeloaders. It's too bad, really. When people share it drives people to the site. Seems like a good way to get new people to join.

Back