Flickr PRO - thinking about upgrading

BillN

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill
I'm thinking about upgrading to Flickr PRO - any negatives?

what is copyright like on Flickr - do they have any rights?

I've been happy with Flickr Pro for years. No problems with copyright that I am aware of. The community there is vocal and would flip out if Flickr tried a rights grab.

Yeah, I'm good with it. I'm not crazy about the parent company but I've got too much time and familiarity and too many photos up there to change now. For $25 per year, it seems like a pretty good deal. I don't love the social aspects of it, but you can manage how involved you get with all of that. I don't participate in the various groups and discussions (although if a moderator asks me to allow an image to be put in a group I'll usually say OK unless I see something obvious about the group I object to) and I keep my list of contacts small because if it was any larger I'd probably ignore it and then feel really guilty - as is I don't spend as much time as I'd like to going through what my contacts shoot. I'd generally rather comment on people's work here and on other forums, but sometimes I'll go through a few sets on Flickr if something catches my eye. But I have a lot of photos up there, its a decent emergency backup, they're available full res if I need 'em, its a good place to share family photos and a good place to house photos I link to here and elsewhere. Once in a while, one of my photos goes viral on the site and I get inundated with comments and stuff, but since I changed my email preferences (I just get comments compiled into one email per day, max, now) even that's not a hassle anymore. I can't imagine what I'd complain about. I suppose if I ever wanted to try selling my stuff I'd have to go elsewhere, but I'm pretty aggressively not interested in all of that and I think if it was going to happen, it would have by now. So I'm good - Flickr works for me...

-Ray

I have has it for a few years. Love it. Worth every penny. You can choose like others have said what to do with your photos even to not letting someone just drag it off the page to save it.

Thanks All

just upgraded - more info and work to take "on board" - I'll soon be running in "overload" with all this internet stuff - I'm retired but seem to be fully occupied - I have no idea these days how anyone has time for "a job" as there is so much to do in one's personal life

Any "smart trick" I need to know now that I am a Flickr PRO!!!

I like my Flickr Pro account but I also maintain a Zenfolio account when I want a nicer presentation. But havung said that, the Flickr account is very good and quite a bargain IMO

Bill, you were already on flickr. All that going PRO will do is get you unlimited space.

I tend to mess around with some of my images after I have posted them, apparently with PRO any comments etc., are kept, but with the regular account they can be lost

Also today I uploaded about 300 images for my family to view ....... the non pro account only allows 200 - I think

Back