Flickr has gone all pretty

I'm now looking at Smugmug and Zenfolio again. I've joined ipernity, photobucket, etc... but none are as good as Flickr was (not "is") and I am really at sixes and sevens over the whole thing. Smugmug seems to have "communities" but I dont think zenfolio has such things. Zenfolio is more elegant (IMO) than Smugmug, but doesnt have unlimited storage. OTOH you get right click protection with Zenfolio at the base level, where you have to pay more at Smugmug. Storage at Zenfolio is increased by 1Gb each year you are there... but cost is higher than Smugmug (check it out yourself. its been $40AU for a year, even when the exchange rate should have put it at around $27 by comparison with the US cost. Even now, it should be less than it is. Yet another example of Aussies being gouged.)

I won't leave/dump Flickr... I have too many links to photographs not just here but in other forums and on my blog. If ever they make it sensible again, I'll probably use it again. IN the meantime, its now more expensive per annum than either Smugmug or Zenfolio...

if you add "?details=1" to the end of someone's photostream URL it displays it a bit more bearably (i.e. a bit more like the "old" Flickr albeit still with the enormous coverpicture crowding everything out)

so mine instead of
Code:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22065841@N05/

becomes
Code:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22065841@N05/?details=1

(on your own stream this is just done by hitting "EDIT" on your home page, but the above - at least for the time being - works on anybody's stream)

Oh I wish I had noticed your post at the time... would have saved me a lot of angst on the iPad.

After initially being abhorred and outraged at Flickr's change of design, I'm kind of coming around. I only wish that the individual image pages showed more information at a glance instead of requiring a scroll and a click.

Very nice, Bill. Did iPernity pull all that info from Flickr? I might have to try again, because uploading my Bulkr exported stuff didn't do it for me.

They did indeed. All I have had to do is put them in sets. I have regrouped some, and left about 800 shots behind - mostly a couple of weddings. I'll do some more weeding when I get a chance - I still have a number of duplicates in my older shots, which are now easier to spot than when on Flickr.

I have also tried the ipernity bulk loader today. It's an improvement on the Flickr one because you can set it to upload a batch at a time of your choosing.

The community side is pretty limited at the moment but what is there is good. I can see myself starting a group or two when I get back ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

Another workaround for viewing FLickr

The bandwidth issue is pushing me further away from Flickr every day, but if you just want to check in and see what's happening, it was was suggested in the "feedback thread" on Flickr to use the mobile site:

Flickr mobile portal

works pretty well

Back