Flickr has gone all pretty

But the images have no room to breathe... It's like visiting your Granny and looking at that wall packed with pictures of children and grandchildren.

I want to curate my photos and decide how they are shown not have them thrown in people's faces all at once. Equally, I detest sensory overload as a viewer. Nothing stands out so everything appears mediocre.

Not happy...

Sent from another Galaxy

Never liked subscriptions that don't automatically expire like my Flikr Pro Account now as they suggested in an email I'm going free again and getting a refund.

I always give radical redesigns a little time to bed-in before drawing conclusions. On first glance, all of the most common features are available via the main menu dropdowns on the desktop and tablet versions. Less whitespace, larger photos. Name change from Groups to Communities obviously not complete.

Wait and see...

Wisdom

Having said that I have recently been tending to view my photo stream on Fluidr anyway.

It's not so much how you do things (that's mostly the same albeit the interface is a bit different) but how you present things, and the issue is that you have no control on how your stream is seen by others - now, it's just a Tumblr-style jumble of images.

The older style allowed some control over how one presented one's stream to others.

I have a friend and contact on Flickr - a very good professional artist, with a bagful of degrees and whatnot in fine art and education - who has over 25000 images there; they are carefully curated and gathered in sets and collections, and her photostream arranged so that it appears exactly as she wants to be seen.

Well ... not any more; now it's just a photomontage like everyone else's, and destroys several years careful work.

now I quite understand about the need to innovate, to refresh and redesign, and that the world is changing and FLickr needs to attract and keep people who are using swipe&touch devices more and more, and that most people just dump their snaps up on Flickr and don't carefully curate them, and so on and so forth, and that I will adapt or move elsewhere ... but to remove choice with no way to revert is rarely a good thing, let alone doing so to the user base without the smallest warning ...

I don't doubt Flickr will just ignore the fuss such as it is (there are about 8000 complaints in the feedback thread, but that must constitute a tiny percentage of their users) ...

It's not so much how you do things (that's mostly the same albeit the interface is a bit different) but how you present things, and the issue is that you have no control on how your stream is seen by others - now, it's just a Tumblr-style jumble of images.

The older style allowed some control over how one presented one's stream to others.

Word.

Sent from another Galaxy

A workaround to make flickr more bearable

if you add "?details=1" to the end of someone's photostream URL it displays it a bit more bearably (i.e. a bit more like the "old" Flickr albeit still with the enormous coverpicture crowding everything out)

so mine instead of
Code:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22065841@N05/

becomes
Code:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22065841@N05/?details=1

(on your own stream this is just done by hitting "EDIT" on your home page, but the above - at least for the time being - works on anybody's stream)

But what are the options...? And please don't say 500px - I am not Russian, nor do I take eyeball-searing HDR landscape sunsets, extreme macro or scantily clad young ladies in need of a meal...

Sent from another Galaxy

But what are the options...? And please don't say 500px - I am not Russian, nor do I take eyeball-searing HDR landscape sunsets, extreme macro or scantily clad young ladies in need of a meal...

Sent from another Galaxy

Just really starting to think that smugmug and zenfolio and the like are probably the only solutions. Or self hosting and I just gave that up and am not going there again. There are plenty of free and paid photo hosting sites, but none like the old flickr.

OTOH I just went back to look at Photobucket. Its on the improve...

Tested link to shot... simple, easy to use, and different ways to do it. Doesnt seem to be an option to choose a smaller size for the display... but anyway... its an option

The difficulty for me with alternatives is that while there are plenty of sites to host photographs, only Flickr has a well-developed community of groups where stuff gets shared and discussed (the "I Shoot Film" group, for instance, is brilliant for technical support); Plus I have many contacts there whose work I watch with interest ... so unless all those folk (all those contacts, plus all those people who are members of the same groups) move to the same platform ... well, they're not going to are they?

So, I've got to stay with Flickr if I want the same community and contacts.

Agree with some of the points made here about the visual overload with only minimal separation between images in the photostream, which now just looks like one big colourful vomit of images. No longer can you see the titles or descriptions either. Maybe it is only because the little netbook I am travelling with has a low res monitor but the images now display smaller than ever and the combination of black strip above and white below looks like very amateur to me. I made a comment last night on mu-43 that Flickr now looks like it has been redesigned for the new iPad and iPhone wielding generation with limited attention spans and who are attracted by shiny things, and that still sounds right this morning.

Flickr had just conclusively proved that it's not all about the images, but also you choose to display, arrange, and document them.

I think I need to find a new place to display my work where I have control. I know I'm just a hack, but what happens if I actually get good? I'll stick around flickr for the social aspect of it, but I think I may let my photos there wither on the vine. It's too early to tell, and I don't want to rush into hasty decisions. Flickr has brought me a lot of joy over the last couple years and I've met some really nice people there so I'll need to stay in touch regardless, but the more I look at it, the uglier it seems to get.

It's also a real bandwidth-eater because of all the big images it loads from contacts and home page.
My usage has gone through the roof.
that will cost me extra dough with the ISP

Just really starting to think that smugmug and zenfolio and the like are probably the only solutions. Or self hosting and I just gave that up and am not going there again. There are plenty of free and paid photo hosting sites, but none like the old flickr.

OTOH I just went back to look at Photobucket. Its on the improve...

I use Zenfolio for sharing photos with family and it's great! But it is not a photography community like Flickr. Sadly, Flickr is unique. I no longer post at Flickr because I simply don't have time to take anything but family photos - I use it more for discovering great photography and works of art. With Zenfolio and sites like that it's hard to discover anything. And agreed that 500px is not the same either.

"Hold on there, tiger"

"Questioning the magic donkey"

...wtf...??

EVERYTHING is buried now. Just tried to share a photo on Twitter - that takes 3 more keypresses than it used to.

Y'know what this is? It's the Flickr equivalent of Windows 8... :mad:

Does anyone else have issues with the way their Sets are being displayed? Looks like a site programming bug to me. Overall, I pretty much hate everything about the new layout and design and echo what's been said about liking the community and contacts I have through Flickr so I'm unlikely to switch.

Back