Fuji First X100 pics.

So I'm flying to Leicaland with the Fuji. On my way to Berlin and hope to be able to shoot some city life, guess there wil be no cows:D

There may not be that many Leica's either. I was in Germany many times when my daughter was stationed there. I'd work the streets and never did I see a Leica except mine. Odd, but Nikon, Canon etc smothered the area.....

I want one but not yet :)

I love the colors and smoothness from this camera ; if that makes any sense.
What's holding me back is that the lens quality seems patchy with some owners reporting soft edges and websites like Singapore Hardware showing Razor sharp performance.
Perhaps it's an early build issue like the OVF but Retow's shots look spot on to me.
Look forward to seeing more shots.

I want one but not yet :)

I love the colors and smoothness from this camera ; if that makes any sense.
What's holding me back is that the lens quality seems patchy with some owners reporting soft edges and websites like Singapore Hardware showing Razor sharp performance.
Perhaps it's an early build issue like the OVF but Retow's shots look spot on to me.
Look forward to seeing more shots.

The lens is a gem, the camera starts to grow on me. First few shots from Berlin, just arrived here a few hours ago and walked around the block. Some were zone focused others AF.

Wow, retow - this is almost like being there with you! Well, not quite but I really do thank you for posting these so quickly. You get the award for being Most Dedicated Vacationer Member, for sure.:D

Gosh, these are really nice...and just think what it will be like when you can use the RAW files! I hope you have a bunch of SD cards...or brought your laptop.

P.S. I do like all of these...the tulips are great with the rising clock tower behind them, the beautiful blonde...but that close up of the female statue's head with the fountains arching....is fantastic. I can't wait to see what you can do with these when there software options are your oyster!

I am so ready to get this camera!

Wow, retow - this is almost like being there with you! Well, not quite but I really do thank you for posting these so quickly. You get the award for being Most Dedicated Vacationer Member, for sure.:D

Gosh, these are really nice...and just think what it will be like when you can use the RAW files! I hope you have a bunch of SD cards...or brought your laptop.

Vacation would be nice, but it's actually a business trip. So I have to steal a few moments and give the X100 a workout whenever possible. And this is exactly where the new group of compact cameras with large sensors shine, they are small enough to be taken along with all the other stuff and allow taking pictures without having to compromise on IQ.

Aha, thanks for the correction retow. Yes, the IQ and the smallness...and those controls...and...well, you know better than most of us on here, so far. Keep making the most of those nonbusiness moments.(y)

The lens is a gem, the camera starts to grow on me. First few shots from Berlin, just arrived here a few hours ago and walked around the block. Some were zone focused others AF.

Simply jaw-droppingly brilliant!!! I'm not that huge a fan of flower shots - though you wouldn't credit that looking at any of my shots :blush: but that tulip shot is amazing, as is the statue close-up. The bokeh from the X100 is creamy with 3D and POP!

Hmmm...I want one....NOW!

I'm curious as people start to receive and use their X100s whether, after two years of rangefinder sized, large sensor compacts (GF1, E-P1, NEX, etc), the X100 advances the concept or whether it has merely taken a different but parallel path to roughly the same point. For instance, is it better, or is it an alternative?

I'm curious as people start to receive and use their X100s whether, after two years of rangefinder sized, large sensor compacts (GF1, E-P1, NEX, etc), the X100 advances the concept or whether it has merely taken a different but parallel path to roughly the same point. For instance, is it better, or is it an alternative?

The X100 feels much more like shooting an AF Leica M than any of the other camera's you mention, mainly thanks to the OVF and to some extent because of form factor. So it's not only Rangefinder sized, but actually comes closest to the RF experience. IQ wise it obviously tops competition, with the Leica X1 and Ricoh GXR probably being its closest contenders. However, all these cameras have now reached levels of IQ were they can no longer be used as excuses for lousy shots. It's up to the photographers to perform;) Yesterday I did some street shooting with zone focusing, f 8, and set iso to 1250 to keep shutter speed up (cloudy day). Then I switched to AF for a few shots and forgot to change iso. Looking at the pictures I posted, I guess anybody will have a hard time telling which ones (granted they are small size pics) were shot at iso 1250. Simply amazing, if you ask me.

Hi retow, thanks for your analysis. It certainly is true that these days differences in IQ between roughly equivalent cameras are often so miniscule that you would likely never notice, however I wonder why you've described the Fuji as having obviously better IQ. Is this just in relation to the high ISO performance?

Hi retow, thanks for your analysis. It certainly is true that these days differences in IQ between roughly equivalent cameras are often so miniscule that you would likely never notice, however I wonder why you've described the Fuji as having obviously better IQ. Is this just in relation to the high ISO performance?

My comment was mainly referring to 4/3 sensor based cameras, which are inferior in DR and high iso performance. And compared to the X1 and GXR you get somewhat better high iso performance and better DOF control thanks to a faster lens with built in ND filter.

Back