Canon First pictures of new Canon G1X mark 2

The battery life on the MkI isn't great either, with the saving grace being that it isn't a scattergun camera. I always tend to take the least number of pictures with it but usually it gives the highest proportion of keepers.

First impressions at quesabesde, lens has larger dia as expected w/ faster zoom:
Google Translate
canon_powershot_g1_mark_ii_16.jpg

More w/ reports of faster af w/ 31 focus points:
Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II Hands-on First Look - What Digital Camera
Canon PowerShot G1 X Mk II Review | Trusted Reviews
http://www.dslrmagazine.com/digital...anon-g1x-mark-ii-nuevo-objetivo-mejorado.html
Canon PowerShot G1 X MkII review

A quick summary at dpreview about sensor size:
Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II: a quick summary

After looking at that video I'm warming to this thing.
A nice amount of heft and if ISO 1600 is really like the existing ISO 400 that's some improvement.

This is starting to grow on me. From the first pictures it seemed like it was substantially smaller than G1X, and therefore not so nice to handle (for me anyway, not a huge fan of tiny cameras), but looks like it is not that much smaller and should be reasonably nice to hold actually.... Will have to wait and see how the IQ and AF turn out, but I am definitely keeping an eye on this one.

Some of it is a bit of fluff really, but there's some useful info as well
Enjoyed this little piece and great to see the Aussies on the front foot….and using a state-of-the-art "Lee" robot. What a charismatic Brit he is.

Must say this little video does help with the sell. I really like the sounds of them two front dials.

GM1+lens is smaller, more comparable to RX100. I use RX100 RF grip on GM1 and the grip is even higher then GM1. G1X II is more comparable to RX1 size w/ comparable size lens...

Looking at the video, it looks like a panasonic gm1 with its pancake zoom, though, this has a much faster lens.

GM1+lens is smaller, more comparable to RX100. I use RX100 RF grip on GM1 and the grip is even higher then GM1. G1X II is more comparable to RX1 size w/ comparable size lens...

What about thickness? I realize the height and length of the camera are larger, but this doesn't look that much thicker.

The camerasize website shows this as being around the same size as an epl-2 with the new 14-42 pancake stuck on the front.
While having the option to change lenses is something that appeals to me I don't use it very much at all. Depending on what people say about max aperture through the range and autofocus I think I might switch to this.
Compact Camera Meter

Looks like Canon has taken a leaf out of the Little Marketing Book of Fuji…who I think employed a ghost writer from Sigma. We're in early to mid-February and this camera's not slated for released until April. Build hype, watch (and inject into) forums, make small tweaks to the prototype (if possible), garner pre-orders….now I wonder if they'll also drip feed supplies to keep the market a little lean and hungry? :hmmm:

The camerasize website shows this as being around the same size as an epl-2 with the new 14-42 pancake stuck on the front.
Compact Camera Meter

Interesting comparing the size difference to an RX100 M2 (It's much larger). The GX1 II is probably beyond the territory of pocket friendly. But still, for the lens range and speed, and the sensor size, its a interesting package worth considering. My only concern is price. The existing GX1 can now be had for around $500. Does that mean the GX1 II is a good buy at $799 USD ($999 AUD apparently?), or is it worth waiting for the inevitable price drop...

It is the same sized sensor but the new lens means that less of it is used, if that makes sense. The new lens projects a smaller image circle which puts the effective sensor area just a tick bigger than Micro 4/3 and just a tick smaller than the Mark I G1X.

Back