Fuji Finally no big brother to my X10. Here's why...

Nobody wants to come here, or mu-43 for that matter, and read the same negative comments over and over. Pretty much everyone here has tried a lot of different cameras and formed our own likes and dislikes, but generally if you don't like something you have your say and then move on. It does you no one any good to constantly trash a camera or brand or format because people are out there every second of the day creating images that prove you totally wrong. Photography should be fun, and coming to these forums to talk about it should be fun, too.

Nic was that directed at me ? If I offended you in any way I apologize, it was never my intention. No "trashing" any brand or format on my part... Just personal likes and dislikes.

Nic was that directed at me ? If I offended you in any way I apologize, it was never my intention. No "trashing" any brand or format on my part... Just personal likes and dislikes.
My apologies - I probably started all of this with my comment on your use of "politically correct". It seemed to suggest to me much stronger negative feelings about m43 that you weren't going to share, but then did through that mention of politically correct. I should have just let it go and that would have been that, but I made a snarky crack about it later.

I don't care what people choose to use or end up liking or disliking, but I occasionally do get defensive about m43 which still gets slammed a lot for IQ characteristics that I think it overcame to a large extent with the GH2 and completely with the OMD and subsequent cameras. But there's still this perception out there... Which has nothing to do with me, so I should just leave it alone. And usually do, but evidently don't always! So, again, apologies for taking a left turn there.

-Ray

No Ray, I suppose I was a smart mouth first. I think I was just basically happy that I had come up with the "image characteristics" vs. "image quality" concept, because it seemed to express the difference I perceive between the two formats with NO negative underlying meaning towards either.
I've used m4/3 for a good period of time and indeed the GX-1 is one of the most enjoyable cameras I've had. I think your remarks about the IQ differences now being minuscule since the O-MD and later sensors are well funded.
The great thing about this place is how users of different systems can cohabit peacefully, and I'd hate to disrupt that, so again apologies to anyone if I unvolontarily ruffled anybody's feathers.

I think your remarks about the IQ differences now being minuscule since the O-MD and later sensors are well funded.
They're DEFINITELY well funded!!!! Whether they're well founded is another question entirely! :D

As to the underlying point - no problem. I have multiple systems that co-habit peacefully in my own bag, so they definitely can within a single forum...

-Ray

Nobody wants to come here, or mu-43 for that matter, and read the same negative comments over and over. Pretty much everyone here has tried a lot of different cameras and formed our own likes and dislikes, but generally if you don't like something you have your say and then move on. It does you no one any good to constantly trash a camera or brand or format because people are out there every second of the day creating images that prove you totally wrong. Photography should be fun, and coming to these forums to talk about it should be fun, too.

FWIW in a Fuji sub-forum in Serious Compacts it is not inappropriate for someone to mention their dislike for another format or camera. It's not the same as saying they don't like m43 cameras on mu-43 itself. Forums should be fun but feeling like you can't be honest about what you think is just as unappealing as forums where it's constant squabbling.

Oops, sorry about the spelling mistake. I'm not an English native speaker so I guess that makes up for it ;)

No apologies necessary. My mother has a fairly strong Spanish accent when she speaks English (from Panama) and when Americans (we lived in Florida) would make fun of it she would politely remind them that she spoke two languages and ask them how many they spoke.

If tried to respond in French on a French forum folks there would think a chimpanzee had somehow managed to get on the Internet.

*wearing the cape of the Super Moderator*

OK.....there's been enough apologizing and enough defending here already over something that didn't even register a blip on my radar. Everyone go out and shoot and post 3 photos before they say another word here.

If we're going to bicker, it needs to be about something MUCH bigger than someone saying they like one sensor size more than another.

*wearing the cape of the Super Moderator*

OK.....there's been enough apologizing and enough defending here already over something that didn't even register a blip on my radar. Everyone go out and shoot and post 3 photos before they say another word here.

If we're going to bicker, it needs to be about something MUCH bigger than someone saying they like one sensor size more than another.

I apologize for all of that apologizing! Here are three photos, just taken to take SOMETHING in this frigid cold weather, to check out the new 14mm lens on the X10's big brother, the X-Pro. I'm gonna have to spend some time with this lens in the city and on some hikes to figure out whether its gonna be a keeper for me. Its pretty damn wide, but its not THAT wide and whether its a necessary stopping point between an every day lens and an ultra-wide is just gonna take a little time to figure out... You have to get REALLY close for street shooting - I think I prefer 24-28 for that. Its surely a nice lens. Big as a tank, not great with the OVF (both in terms of coverage and the hulking lens blocking the view) - these are strikes against. But it sure extends the range of the X-Pro and I like the snap ring a lot, as with the Oly 12 and 17. Time will have to tell on this one...

View attachment 65101

View attachment 65102

View attachment 65103

-Ray

Nice work Ray. The light reflecting off the young woman's coat in the first looks so real that I feel like it's coming through my monitor!

And Kevin, I always love a good dog shot, but that number 2.....WOW! Cool hair is wasted on the young. Us old guys would really appreciate it!

Just so you shoot a lot while IN the French Alps, all is forgiven!

-Ray

I actually intend to do a lot more skiing, fine food and relaxing than taking pictures, but I do have the X10 with me, so if the opportunity arises...

Hey All,

I look at Samsung and think of what could be. I do wish they would really take photography seriously. I've little doubt they could blow most other companies off the map - Sony included. They are that big. I remember reading that they are bigger than the top 9 Japanese electronic companies combined. And yes I am looking at a Samsung monitor and texting on a Samsung phone.

As for this whole which system is better thing I see it as always about who gets to define the discussion. My definition or yours - I win - no I win. To illustrate suppose:

1) I define the discussion by saying I only photograph at noon good light and never do anything but look at the pictures on my monitor - therefore my "pick a smaller sensor system" is just as good as your FF system.

vs

2) I define the discussion by saying that I only do macro work in which I need a razor thin DOF - therefore my FF is superior to your inferior "pick a small sensor system".

Closely related is the I want every photographic option in my camera because I believe in better to have it and never need it than need it and not have it vs you only need what you use.

Fortunately nobody foolishly includes medium or bigger formats in the arguement!

We all know or should know that at some point sensor size does matter - the only issue is whether you ever get there or not.

-Ed-

Back