Micro 4/3 Finally got a E-M5..Why did I wait so long!?!!?!

Ooh that's interesting, I'll give OV3 a go.

Mind you I kinda always think that company's own RAW converters are the same as what's already in the camera? I'll give it a go never the less and report back :)

Thanks

I found Olympus viewer unacceptably slow in use. Even slower than the Sigma Photo Pro software !

The problem with OV3 is that it does not show adjustments in real time. It makes it very hard to get the image right when you need to wait so long to see the effects of any changes.

Well I have had a play with it and I think it's probably one of the worst bits of imaging software I have ever come across!! It's slow, clunky and the images look far worse than anything I can do in LR. I guess it's horses for courses but it's not for me. I'm getting the DXO software soon from work so we will see what that's like.

Well I have had a play with it and I think it's probably one of the worst bits of imaging software I have ever come across!! It's slow, clunky and the images look far worse than anything I can do in LR. I guess it's horses for courses but it's not for me. I'm getting the DXO software soon from work so we will see what that's like.

I certainly agree that the software is very clunky, but I'm surprised that the images look worse than what you can get in Lightroom! I find it very difficult to get pleasing skin tones with the EM-5 with even the latest version of Lightroom, but OV3 delivers in spades.

I certainly agree that the software is very clunky, but I'm surprised that the images look worse than what you can get in Lightroom! I find it very difficult to get pleasing skin tones with the EM-5 with even the latest version of Lightroom, but OV3 delivers in spades.

Skin tone is something I have never been bothered with. I can't tell if it's good or bad :D People talk about colours but I can never see what they are on about. I'm not colour blind but I think I just don't care about it. I prefer to concentrate on composition, DOF and making sure the sharp bits are sharp and non sharp areas are smooth.

Next Job...remove the software.

I realize I'm late in replying to this thread but - congratulations on your 'new' E-M5! and the test shot - of that amazing floral/botanical close-up - is ridiculously cool. The overall sense of the color/tone palette here is quite amazing.

I've occasionally firted with doing the same thing - I dont' have an E-M5 but a good friend does, and every time I play around with it I think, what a truly nice camera this is. But then again, I honestly prefer the feeling - and shootability, if that's a word, of my GX7, to the M5, in many small ways. As the old saying goes, different strokes for different folks. But congratulations on yours! It's worth it for this one photo alone.

Miguel

On another thread I was pondering between an E-M1 and the GH4. The price was putting me off a bit but was seriously looking at getting one of these as serious body. On another forum someone was selling a mint E-M5 in silver (Yum!) for a really great price so before I knew it I had done the deed and it turned up today.I have always wanted a E-M5 but every time I used one in the shop I kinda could not get on with the small buttons and put it to one side. I felt I just had to try one and for the money I just had to try this one. I took a few test shots this evening in dull conditions and one word comes to mind.....Impressive!!! I took JPG's and had a look at the files in LR5. The colours and sharpness/detail were really very good and the IBIS is stunning!! I also love where it focuses. It got it spot on every time where as the GX7 can miss on occasions. SO having the GX7 and E-M5 I will be able to assess which I prefer and see about possible upgrade later...maybe.Here is a quick test shot using the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 & processed in LR5.4
14288973161_23194183fa_b.jpg
E-M5 test shot JPG by andywest1, on Flickr

I've occasionally firted with doing the same thing - I dont' have an E-M5 but a good friend does, and every time I play around with it I think, what a truly nice camera this is. But then again, I honestly prefer the feeling - and shootability, if that's a word, of my GX7, to the M5, in many small ways. As the old saying goes, different strokes for different folks. But congratulations on yours! It's worth it for this one photo alone.

Miguel

Thank you so much for the kind words Miguel.

I have both the E-M5 and the GX7 so have the best of both worlds!

I'm about to dip my toes back in the m4/3 pond again. The E-M5 is looking very attractive as a second hand buy. It's a touch cheaper than buying a new EM-10. Are there any real gotchas which would make the EM-10 worth the extra? On the flip side one problem with the 10 is that it's hard to buy it without the EZ lens which I'm not keen on (don't like power zooms), hence my leaning towards the 5.

I'm about to dip my toes back in the m4/3 pond again. The E-M5 is looking very attractive as a second hand buy. It's a touch cheaper than buying a new EM-10. Are there any real gotchas which would make the EM-10 worth the extra? On the flip side one problem with the 10 is that it's hard to buy it without the EZ lens which I'm not keen on (don't like power zooms), hence my leaning towards the 5.

From my point of view the biggest difference between the E-M10 and the E-M5 is that the 10 has WiFi and a built-in flash.
(WiFi is something that comes in useful sometimes for me as a remote shutter release and remote viewer via the smartphone app).

Then there's some smaller differences like higher resolution screen on the 10 vs slightly longer battery life on the 5... etc.

You could always try to find a used E-M10 - save even more and get it without the EZ zoom... :)

From my point of view the biggest difference between the E-M10 and the E-M5 is that the 10 has WiFi and a built-in flash.
(WiFi is something that comes in useful sometimes for me as a remote shutter release and remote viewer via the smartphone app).

Then there's some smaller differences like higher resolution screen on the 10 vs slightly longer battery life on the 5... etc.

You could always try to find a used E-M10 - save even more and get it without the EZ zoom... :)
Yeah I saw a mint EM10 for £329 but dithered and missed it. Doh

There are some niceties that Olympus has introduced subsequent to the E-M5. Wifi (for remote shutter and image transfer), "0sec" anti-shock setting, ability to replace a mode position with a custom setting, support of touchscreen guesture that allows you to "flick" around an image when it is magnified during playback, automatic engagement of the IS system in magnified view, and de-activation of the viewfinder eye sensor when the screen is tilted away from the body.

Last edited:
There are some niceties that Olympus has introduced subsequent to the E-M5. Wifi (for remote shutter and image transfer), "0sec" anti-shock setting, ability to replace a mode position with a custom setting, support of touchscreen guesture that allows you to "flick" around an image when it is magnified during playback, automatic engagement of the IS system in magnified view, and de-activation of the viewfinder eye sensor when the screen is tilted away from the body.

Are those features included in the E-M5 II? I know wi-fi is.

They were all present by the 2013 release of the E-P5 which the first developmental step for Olympus after the E-M5. The E-M5 II will have them and probably a few more as well.

The original E-M5 is stuck in the middle whereby it still has great hardware but lacking those small but useful UI tweaks makes it feel older. The ability to disable the eye sensor when the screen is tilted out from the camera body is a particularly great feature to have on the later models, since you can't operate the touch screen properly when the eye sensor is active.

Last edited:
I once tried to replace my E-M5 with an E-P5, and I currently have an E-M1 as well. While both of them were/are better cameras, and the E-M1 benefits from having a Panasonic sensor, the E-M5 remains my sentimental favourite.

I kinda have the hots for the E-P5, but the difference in price (for the difference in functions that I won't use) has kinda ruled it out for me. The built-in viewfinder of the E-M5 keeps the camera looking better, but I do love a tilting viewfinder. But if I remember right, Nic, you don't care for those. The best part of all of this, is the sheer variety of bodies to choose from.

Back