Ricoh Finally Bought the GR

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
I've had a credit on Amazon.com since Christmas and I've deliberated about this ever since. I thought about a Panasonic GM1 because it's so cool and would work with all of my micro four-thirds lenses. A Sony RX100 was also considered, since it's so pocketable. But so is the Ricoh. I liked the idea of trying something different and I've enjoyed the results others have been getting with this camera. So when I finally dropped in at B&H Photo (it's great having them only minutes from where I work) and actually played with the GR for a while, I was hooked. I placed my order this morning. We'll see how much use the Fuji X10 and XF1 get in the months ahead. Currently the XF1 is the only truly pocketable camera that I have. Okay! That's it! I'm done! I plan no other camera acquisitions this year and anything purchased after that must replace something that I already have. That means selling off excess inventory. I made that vow last year and actually kept to it. :)

Oh Steve, now we have it in writing…
Okay! That's it! I'm done! I plan no other camera acquisitions this year and anything purchased after that must replace something that I already have. That means selling off excess inventory. I made that vow last year and actually kept to it. :)
…but, hey, the GR is a good camera to commit to for 9 months or so. Congrats (y)

I'm just totally hooked … had one for around 2 weeks now. Had so many cameras over the last few years, but this one is very special indeed !! So stealthy and the snap mode is just incredible.

Stop it everyone!!!! You're all tempting me!! :D

I have some spare folding green at the moment and this is a camera that I have wanted to try for........well since it was released. I nearly bought the Mk4 but didn't. Maybe now is the time...maybe!

Stop it everyone!!!! You're all tempting me!! :D

I have some spare folding green at the moment and this is a camera that I have wanted to try for........well since it was released. I nearly bought the Mk4 but didn't. Maybe now is the time...maybe!

C`mon. You owe it to yourself.

I purchased a GR myself a couple of weeks ago and I am so impressed with this little camera. The image quality is fantastic and the handling is just so right. I love it and I'm sure you will too.

I got mine a couple of months or so ago and it's the best camera I've ever used. Hopefully it'll be a lesson to all other serious compact makers that you can do something that sort of size and still have fantastic ergonomics and controls.

I got mine a couple of months or so ago and it's the best camera I've ever used. Hopefully it'll be a lesson to all other serious compact makers that you can do something that sort of size and still have fantastic ergonomics and controls.
You've got some fantastic images on your Flickr page, looking forward to seeing more.
I can't be tempted to buy one of these, I've just shelled out for the 18.5mm on my V1!! I'd have to say goodbye to the RX100 to fund it and I'm very reluctant to do that. Maybe the EuroMillions will finally give me more than £2.70 on Friday night :rofl:

OK, the GR is perfect just the way it is, but I also wish they would make another model that would be identical, except larger and have a built-in OVF with electronic overlay of all the pertinent shooting parameters.

OK, the GR is perfect just the way it is, but I also wish they would make another model that would be identical, except larger and have a built-in OVF with electronic overlay of all the pertinent shooting parameters.

And maybe on-sensor, phase-detection autofocus. But, in the meantime, I'll have fun with the GR the way it is. ;)

And maybe on-sensor, phase-detection autofocus. But, in the meantime, I'll have fun with the GR the way it is. ;)

All I want is a 40-50mm-lensed derivative and I will be happy as Larry :)

Okay, so where is the new Pentax/Ricoh compact system? It seems like all of the pieces are there.... 28 and 50mm GRX lens designs, IBIS(SR), great 16/24 mpx sensors, loyal customer base, great user interface, etc. etc.

You've got some fantastic images on your Flickr page, looking forward to seeing more.
I can't be tempted to buy one of these, I've just shelled out for the 18.5mm on my V1!! I'd have to say goodbye to the RX100 to fund it and I'm very reluctant to do that. Maybe the EuroMillions will finally give me more than £2.70 on Friday night :rofl:

Thanks for looking Martin! I bet you CAN be tempted ;-)

A friend of mine has the RX100 but he loves 28mm and finds he almost never zooms. If you're happy fixed the GR is obviously a better although more expensive option. Good luck tonight! :)

Back