Film Film Photo Challenge

I think I'll give up on the folders. At least for now. I need something a bit easier both to purchase and maintain/use. Thinking about something in the likes of Bronica ETRSi or Mamyia Super, since interchangeable backs is really a plus for me at this point. Well, even a Pentax 645 additional body to use as back for the lenses I already have, but the hunt for that has not been easy.
Great choice of gear; good luck in your chase. Actually, if you don't get lucky, I might be able to help. But given that we're not exactly neighbours, I'll let you try on your own first ;)

M.

....don't laugh @MoonMind I know you've thought about it.

;)
You know me too well, really. I think just a day before you posted that image, I actually did look at a Linhof ... But honestly, the Pentacon Six marks the upper limit of what I can put up with sizewise ...

I know now what I'll use for our challenge, btw. The Zeiss Ikon ZM with Voigtländer Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 M.C. - after putting this combo together, it became pretty much a no-brainer. Now I have to decide on a film ... though I already have an idea about that as well, but I need to do some research first.

M.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested in participating. I just purchased a couple rolls of Portra 400. I'm not a heavy film user, just an occasional dabbler, but I enjoy it. Some of you will recognize me from Amin's other forums, and I'm having fun working through SiJ-17. I may use my old Praktica STL-3. It was my first camera of any kind, given to me by my parents when I was 18. I only ever owned one lens for it, a Zeiss Jena DDR 50mm/2.8. It is a tank, about the size and weight of a Konica T-3. One frame a day, no outtakes or do-overs . . . now there is a challenge.

I'm thinking now I'm going to use my Pentax MX with the 40mm/2.8. Not only is it a smaller/lighter combo, but I prefer the slightly wider FOV over the 50mm. Hasn't been any chatter in this thread for a few days; any thoughts on how we will share our images? Perhaps a daily thread a la SiJ-17, in which we deposit our image for each day after we develop our film? I'm planning to make the roll last for the entire month. I've never been one who is consistent and diligent about note-taking and/or journaling, but I'm going to give that a go for this challenge, keeping detailed notes on each image as I collect them.

I'm thinking now I'm going to use my Pentax MX with the 40mm/2.8. Not only is it a smaller/lighter combo, but I prefer the slightly wider FOV over the 50mm. Hasn't been any chatter in this thread for a few days; any thoughts on how we will share our images? Perhaps a daily thread a la SiJ-17, in which we deposit our image for each day after we develop our film? I'm planning to make the roll last for the entire month. I've never been one who is consistent and diligent about note-taking and/or journaling, but I'm going to give that a go for this challenge, keeping detailed notes on each image as I collect them.
Yes, the idea of doing one month of presentations after one month of shooting sounds good to me. I'm planning the same procedure (one roll, one month), but knowing myself, I'll have to pack a second camera (no problem - just a bit of personal silliness) in order not to go crazy over lost opportunities. I'll have to empty the ZM first, though - once we get a glimpse of the sun, that shouldn't be an issue (we've not seen the sun for five days now - persistent low cloudcover, typical Swiss weather ...). I think we should try to get a common kick-off (for those who are ready, at any rate) for both periods. For the month of shooting, can we do February 1st, or should we rest a bit after SiJ 17?

M.

Yes, the idea of doing one month of presentations after one month of shooting sounds good to me. I'm planning the same procedure (one roll, one month), but knowing myself, I'll have to pack a second camera (no problem - just a bit of personal silliness) in order not to go crazy over lost opportunities. I'll have to empty the ZM first, though - once we get a glimpse of the sun, that shouldn't be an issue (we've not seen the sun for five days now - persistent low cloudcover, typical Swiss weather ...). I think we should try to get a common kick-off (for those who are ready, at any rate) for both periods. For the month of shooting, can we do February 1st, or should we rest a bit after SiJ 17?

M.
Either way is fine with me. I'm not finding SiJ to be burdensome at all, as I carry a camera with me every day, anyway. Unless some unforeseen life event intercedes, I have no problem going right from SiJ to FiF (Film in February).

This is also fine by me, but actual shooting might need to start earlier for myself, since lab turnaround time is increasing lately. A good sign, more people shooting film (and not other labs closing, since they are really very few out there now).

If @stillshunter agrees, I'm all for FiF - give or take a couple of days if need be, no problem (I'll certainly try to start on February 1st, even if it means switching cameras). If we start showing in March (as soon as viable for everyone involved, continuing for an individual four weeks), we have a month of observations and discussions with the occasional documentary (digital - or instant, in my case) shot; that way, those who want can cover all February and still give each other the benefit of a few failed shots on one roll. After that, we have a couple of days before the result thread gets going - again, I'm fine with that.

Those who start showing their images should try to post every day for four weeks - is that alright with all of you? I'm okay with the idea of individual starting dates myself as long as it's not too arbitrary - what do you think?

M.

Those who start showing their images should try to post every day for four weeks - is that alright with all of you? I'm okay with the idea of individual starting dates myself as long as it's not too arbitrary - what do you think?

M.
I think this is a very good way to do it. Should each person create a thread for the full four weeks? Any other idea?

BTW, I'll be picking up the new Medium Format tomorrow :dance2:

I think this is a very good way to do it. Should each person create a thread for the full four weeks? Any other idea?

BTW, I'll be picking up the new Medium Format tomorrow :dance2:
Congratulations on the camera :)

The thread question is interesting (I think you were talking about posting images, correct?); hadn't thought about it, but depending on the number of participants, it may a better idea than creating a thread a day - tidier, for one thing. I think we should sort out participation next weekend to decide this - as far as I can see, your suggestion would work best. I would start with a single discussion thread for the "shooting month", though - or one per week, at the most.

M.

I had also thought a single thread for each individual, with others free to comment, of course. My proposal was to title my thread "TT - FiF 17", and then have an individual post for each image: FEB1, FEB2, etc. Do we want to post a single image each day (after developing), to allow other participants time to view and comment, if desired?

I had also thought a single thread for each individual, with others free to comment, of course. My proposal was to title my thread "TT - FiF 17", and then have an individual post for each image: FEB1, FEB2, etc. Do we want to post a single image each day (after developing), to allow other participants time to view and comment, if desired?
That's how I imagined it, yes. This way, we get the benefit of a whole month of fresh material as well as feedback. I think - and this is something that Mark (@stillshunter) has already pointed out - that it's equally important to keep the discussion going during February (or as long as everyone/anyone is still shooting) for encouragement and support (and, of course, general chat, photo-centric or not).

M.

I might be down. I am shooting just as much film as I am digital these days. I am already doing the Photoblog 365 calendar. I could replicate those shots in film without any issues. I will just have to decide whether it will be in 135 or 120 guise. Maybe I will rotate in and out.

So, let me see if I got the rules straight:

1. Shoot every day during the month of February.
2. Post photos during the month of March in my own thread with my initials.
3. Any limitation as to sticking to a particular camera/lens or film, or is simply sticking to film enough of a challenge? If I'm shooting film, I actually have several cameras that are deserving of some love. Plus, I could do Delta 100 in one camera and 3200 in another. I'm thinking Delta 100 in the M6 and Delta 3200 in the FM3a...

Of course, I have already missed three days, but maybe I can make it up.

Someone please let me know if I didn't get this right.

Cheers,

Antonio

[...]

Hi, glad to see you here!

The only "rule" is to post 1 picture per day during one calendar month and share the experience on a single thread with you name, user name or initials.

You don't need to take one picture per day. Some people are doing so (not me) like for SiJ, but it really is not mandatory. There is also no need to post on the next calendar month, since developing and scanning times need to be accounted for.

1. Shoot every day during the month of February.
2. Post photos during the month of March in my own thread with my initials.
3. Any limitation as to sticking to a particular camera/lens or film, or is simply sticking to film enough of a challenge? If I'm shooting film, I actually have several cameras that are deserving of some love. Plus, I could do Delta 100 in one camera and 3200 in another. I'm thinking Delta 100 in the M6 and Delta 3200 in the FM3a...

Of course, I have already missed three days, but maybe I can make it up.

Someone please let me know if I didn't get this right.

Cheers,

Antonio

I think the initial idea was to do something very similar to the Single in January challenge, but we're exploring reasonable ways of going about this as we proceed. I try to do a "one month, one roll" challenge for myself, but I think that might be over the top in terms of restrictions already. What I do: I take along a second film camera; once I have the "frame for the day", I keep shooting either with the other camera or even switch to digital (my main "commentary" camera is the GR).

If you want to mix rolls (the two Delta variants look like a very nice idea to me - including the use of two cameras), go right ahead. I don't think we should set up too many restrictions. Above all, it should be fun!

Hi, glad to see you here!

The only "rule" is to post 1 picture per day during one calendar month and share the experience on a single thread with you name, user name or initials.

You don't need to take one picture per day. Some people are doing so (not me) like for SiJ, but it really is not mandatory. There is also no need to post on the next calendar month, since developing and scanning times need to be accounted for.

It all depends on how much of a challenge you want it to be. I want to learn as much as possible about the camera I chose, I want to get my handling down - every single shot should be a confirmation of my progress. That may or may not happen, but for me, it makes the challenge more interesting. I've shot *loads* of rolls in the last couple of months - this one should be special.

Scanning at home is also still an issue; that's another point I want to get resolved during the challenge ...

M.

Back