Film FiF '17 - TT

On topic: Well seen once more - lots of interesting angles, curves and lines.

M.

Great composition and colors mix and also the absence of people make it very midterious. This one is really a art piece!
Thanks guys. Here's Day 8, which unfortunately turned overcast and dreary once more. I decided to show a set of canvas prints hanging on my old office wall. These prints all came from various digital cameras . . . I need to find one of my better film frames and scan it at a high resolution and see how a print from it compares.

93360024.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Day 10. Very early morning at a favorite overlook. I have come to the conclusion that the meter on the MX overexposes by as much as a stop. I lost some of the detail in the sky.

View attachment 1352
The problem could also be that the camera meters heavily center-weighted if I recall right - which means that in a scene like the above, the middle region which is mostly dark pushes the metering somewhat. I tend to forget this, which can lead to serious imbalances (read: more than a stop, losing either contrast or definition in the process) - not so here, btw: Small detail in the shadows is pretty interesting. Or did you actually meter for the sky?

Anyhow, with the ZM, I tend use exposure compensation a lot (we'll see how effectively, though), with some other cameras, I consciously meter for mid-tones (or, if contrast is meant to be high, highlights) and go from there. Most of the older (read: pre-late-80's) cameras are like that (and even retro-bodies like the FM3A). It's actually a pretty good thing if you tend to center your subject (or do focus/meter/recompose, as I tend to do with film). It's not so well suited for landscapes and off-center composition, though, except if you use AEL. But I guess that's all old news to you - it's just that modern digital cameras behave completely differently ...

Anyhow, nice detailed shot - I like it that way, even if it may be a bit flat as far as sky colours are concerned; it's moody without falling into any cliché-trap.

M.

Thanks Matt. As I recall, I tried to meter away from the brightest spot in the sky, trying to get a balance between the sky and the shadow details. Even though the sun hadn't crested the horizon yet, the clouds around it were very bright, and the shadows in the foreground still deep. I'm certainly not displeased with the image. I'm thinking of re-scanning the negative at a higher resolution to see if I can balance the tones better.

Hum... I think I've seen this before on some "What is t Wednesday" ;)
You did. I photographed one of the gates on a sunny day and used it for WiiW.

For me, the 1st image is more attractive, it has those nice film colors, whereas the 2nd is a bit to cold.
I came to the same conclusion. My scanning technique still needs refined. The first was a scan from the lab.

Day 12. A bit of whimsy . . . don't know why this scene caught my eye. I'm curious if "No Trespassing" signs are uniquely American, or if they are used in other countries.

View attachment 1358
"Kein Durchgang - Privat" in German - same thing; it's a bit rarer in Switzerland, actually, but those who put such signs up usually add ferocious dogs roaming the perimeter of whatever property they mean to protect from prying eyes ...

The images is pleasantly trompe-l'oeil - I had to look twice to discover that I was actually looking at a tree stump, and it's also quite hard to tell where the branches, twigs and leaves originate from; that's quite intriguing. At second glance, very good use of out-of-focus areas, and (as is often the case with older lenses of this type) quite solid bokeh, smooth transitions, no hard edges ... (for bokeh fans, it may be a bit too contrasty, though - I certainly don't mind that).

M.

That's one of the charms of older lenses, or at least ones I've used. Pentax seems to know how to make lenses - the 50mm/1.4 is creamy smooth, and pin sharp when desired. I don't have any complaints about the 40mm/2.8 used in these photos, either.

That's one of the charms of older lenses, or at least ones I've used. Pentax seems to know how to make lenses - the 50mm/1.4 is creamy smooth, and pin sharp when desired. I don't have any complaints about the 40mm/2.8 used in these photos, either.
And rightfully so - you've got a very capable combo there, and from what I recall from my (distant and short) playing around with a MX, it was a very nice camera to handle (my K1000 was very frugal by comparison, but it too did its job - and I actually recall the 50mm f/1.4 with lots of fondness ...).

I went on a "scanning spree" today - or rather, it felt like one, because it took me quite a while to look through four 135mm films two strips at a time - and furthermore, one came from the PEN FT, so I had 72 frames to consider (less, actually, since I had produced a couple of blind shots - the shutter button is quite easy to press when taking out or putting away the camera). So, you can expect quite a couple of images to appear over the weekend (not FiF yet, unfortunately - they actually bodged the delivery, I may have to wait till next week to receive the package). It started out as a bit of a frustrating experience because I found some weaknesses in my usage of in-camera lightmeter systems (no two seem to work alike - I see that I have to "learn" each camera), but it turned into more and more delight when I found quite a number of shots that I liked; I think my scanner is a bit limited as far as sharpness is concerned, but colour and character seem to come across quite nicely. I'm really looking forward to partaking in posting ... The embarrassing thing, though, and some serious insight, concerns the fact that I can't always say with certainty which camera I had used. I need to a) take notes and b) scan the films way(!) sooner after receiving them.

M.

The embarrassing thing, though, and some serious insight, concerns the fact that I can't always say with certainty which camera I had used. I need to a) take notes and b) scan the films way(!) sooner after receiving them.

M.
Although I don't shoot a lot of film, I am prone to absent-mindedness at times. Therefore, when I receive a package from the lab, I write on the front of the envelope the date, camera, lens, and film used. Saves me a lot of head scratching later on.

Thanks for the feature, @Amin Sabet.

Day 14. I was waiting at my dealership while my car's oil was being changed, and a very nice looking Subaru Crosstrek STI was sitting just a couple of feet from me. I decided to see what I could make of the scene. I had to go all the way to f/4 and 1/8 to get the proper exposure. I'm pleased with how it turned out.

93360016.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back