Field Trip

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
A plug for this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nianticproject.scout&hl=en (I believe it is available for other devices). I have had this installed on my 'phone for the last couple of weeks. Once you have tailored your personal preferences it is a really interesting "companion" to your daily meanderings. It offers a mine of information about places and buildings I have walked past for years without a second glance - it draws your attention to the "hidden corners" of the world around - hidden, that is, in plain view. Well worth the price (free).

Enjoy.

Very cool app. Google has been releasing several apps that don't require much input from the user. Field Trip, Google Now, and others have info "pushed" to the user, which makes sense since they are experimenting with hands-free devices like Google Glass. The downside, as pdh mentioned, is that they need to obtain and store as much information as possible in order to provide the best experience.

... The downside, as pdh mentioned, is that they need to obtain and store as much information as possible in order to provide the best experience.

The point is...

...they do anyway. Don't be under any illusions to the contrary. The only way not to be tracked is to not carry or use a portable telephone. Once you accept that as a given, it's a short step to making the most of it ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

The point is...

...they do anyway. Don't be under any illusions to the contrary. The only way not to be tracked is to not carry or use a portable telephone. Once you accept that as a given, it's a short step to making the most of it ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

Ah yes. Fortunately for us, Google actually shares the information it gathers. I received a card on Google Now after the end of the month giving me stats on
how far I had traveled on foot with comparison to previous months. I go on long runs and carry my phone with me, so I was quite happy to have the data.

Just think of all the dull, uneventful moments they are collecting and saving, backing up and archiving. Oh look.. Kristen went to the grocery store, again! That is twice this week, and two different stores.. and.. [because your grocery card logs you as well] she got white nectarines [a temporary weakness] each time! What... does... it... mean??!!

the problem for me is that my telephone is plugged into the wall and the only apps I'm interested in come from the appetizer menu.
*checks to make certain that the tinfoil helmet is still secure*

You guys are too much with your tinfoil hats/helmets!

Attachments

• tinfoil.jpg
    tinfoil.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 174
Back