Featured Forum Thread: "Grassfire!" by kyteflyer

I wasnt going to go to my usual locations today but with smoke billowing into the sky... I felt compelled to investigate. Found that my favourite grassland was up in smoke and flames, and my favourite tree...almost. Here's a few shots from today...

The tree
9512568097_53f680bb6f_b.jpg

Maryland Grassfire by kyte50, on Flickr

and more
9515355328_d8abe7314d_b.jpg

The grassland
9515355946_ca6cb4a25b_b.jpg

9512568621_b45bd688e7_b.jpg

The aftermath
9512567067_6be261667c_b.jpg

9515357108_977c9c5310_b.jpg

9515356336_fc6f705c07_b.jpg

Mind you... I don't think its over. Even as I was pasting those links, I heard another fire truck arrive. The fire was very close to houses, and if the wind changed direction, there would be trouble. I hope the ducks and geese are safe.

I am sorry to hear that your favorite grasland and tree felt victim to the flames. Isn't ironic that such a terrifying thing provides opportunity for spectacular photos? You've build a very nice story out if it. If I had to pick one, it would probably be #1 because that visualizes the threat to to tree so well. The contrast in colors is also striking. The light and texture in the last three photos is also incredible. #4 could easily represent the "underworld" or hell in the photo challenge!

Thanks for sharing Sue. I do hope all is well with the people and houses.

Peter

Thanks, guys. re the news outlet... too late, they were there.

Anyway, I have more, and I think they are better. downloading now, but plan to don a heavy jacket and boots so I can go back. It will be interesting to see if the V1 can deal with night shots. It should be fine, I think.

Here's more. I am SO impressed with the Nikon V1 + 30-110... It handled todays events without a hiccup. Magic. This set is about the firemen as well as the fire... but more about the workers. Geez I respect them!.

9515991934_2d870d16d6_b.jpg

9513202099_6029b630dd_b.jpg

9515990864_c6fd5146f5_b.jpg

9513201051_a05ce30729_b.jpg

9515989344_f052ac972e_b.jpg

9515988348_a95d5cee04_b.jpg

9515986990_da73f2455a_b.jpg

9515986060_4cf4cd339c_b.jpg

Excellent set of images Sue. I was particularly interested in number 3 of the original series showing how the fire drew in your local Kites trying to catch any small mammals and the like displaced by the fire.

Also the set on the firemen since any people photography that I do tends to revolve around people doing a job of work rather than random individuals with no background to the photograph, so all good stuff and well done.

Barrie

Thanks, Christina and Barrie. I think today's shooting was the most I have actually enjoyed in weeks/months, even years, perhaps. Its so different to my usual genre, and with the V1, I was in my element, whilst the Canon DSLR shooters (of which there were many, I only saw big Canons, the odd P&S and phone cameras.) were madly chimping to make sure they got the shot (in the meantime, missing many more). I actually have a couple of shots of one fellow who spent more time peering at his screen than taking photos :) But... I do have one of him shooting, too. Must be fair <grin>

I had a great time today and am feeling quite enervated!

Stunning shots Sue! I particularly like the shots of the firefighters, both because of the human / story element and because of the mixed emotions, due to the very obvious threat creating heavenly colours in the sky (the first one, with the firefighter shielding his face from the sun, is amazing).

Wow, Sue... Weren't you just saying you were sort of bored or stuck lately?

You managed to get out there and photograph a very tough and emotional situation - beautifully. I've been looking more closely on Flickr. Sad, tragic...however you've shown nature's power and destruction as well as the attempts of the selfless firefighters to hold her back. I am so sad about the loss.

Sue, I almost skipped this thread. I was thinking what would I care about a grassfire. I'm glad I clicked. There's so many great photos here I had to move it to the front page to make sure no one else missed it. Great work. I imagine you can get some more great ones of the aftermath. I'm hoping for some gritty b/w.

Back