Featured Forum Post: 'The Amazing Versatility of the LX7'

The time I had the LX5 proved to me it was a great picture taking machine .
But that rear jog dial was a piece of ####. And from what I have read the 7 is even worse. I did post about it in the past but it seemed I was in the minority.
To be fair my hands/thumbs are quite messed up through work. Now if panasonic were to rearrange their control system (loose the click bit) I would buy one in a second.
The images are all wonderful. The first one blew me away.

I have a question? Does the LX7 do a better job with JPEGs than the LX5? That model made a mess of them, and I am a JPEG shooter, cant be bothered with raw.

I'm a raw shooter with everything except Fuji cameras, so my experience is quite limited. The little bit I played around with the jpegs, I didn't find them objectionable - plenty of settings to fine tune. I think I used the "vivid" mode mostly. But then I didn't hate the LX5 jpegs when I had that camera either, so if you did, don't listen to me!

-Ray

The time I had the LX5 proved to me it was a great picture taking machine .
But that rear jog dial was a piece of ####. And from what I have read the 7 is even worse. I did post about it in the past but it seemed I was in the minority.
To be fair my hands/thumbs are quite messed up through work. Now if panasonic were to rearrange their control system (loose the click bit) I would buy one in a second.
The images are all wonderful. The first one blew me away.

I never had a problem with the jog dial on the LX5 and I don't have one with the LX7. But the good news with the LX7 is you don't need to use it nearly as much. I shoot a fair amount in manual focus, using the cameras deep DOF for zone focussing. With the LX5 I was always using the dial to click between aperture, exposure compensation, and manual focus. The LX7 now has an aperture ring on the lens and a dedicated slider for manual focus (it clicks to engage the ND filter), so the only thing I use the jog dial for is exposure compensation. So I have to click it less to arm different modes and I have to turn it less because I'm only controlling one function with it generally. If I shot in manual or shutter priority more, I'd have to use it to control shutter speed too, but I rarely do. The wheel itself feels about the same as on the LX5, if my tactile memory is any good, which it may not be....

-Ray

Wow. Truly beautiful images that really make one reconsider the usefulness of a high quality compact. Sure, your skills are mostly responsible for the awesome results but still, I feel great about the X10 I have in the mail if it's anything as capable as the LX7.

My GGS LCD protector just arrived in the mail from Hong Kong; took about a month, I believe. Now ready to give the LX7 a proper workout. Thanks, Ray, for the ongoing inspiration!

New wife = smaller disposable income!

Still have my M9, OMD and XE1. In the process of selling/trading the XE1. The X10 is in a state of permanent loan to my dad, while the X100 is on temporary loan to my sister. Preordered a X20 and waiting on arrival of the Oly 17/1.8 tomorrow.

B&H listing X20 expected availability as February 28, 2013. Looking forward to your report, Armando!

Wow. Truly beautiful images that really make one reconsider the usefulness of a high quality compact. Sure, your skills are mostly responsible for the awesome results but still, I feel great about the X10 I have in the mail if it's anything as capable as the LX7.

The X10 is more capable than the LX7 in many ways, once you figure out the tricks the sensor can play with the EXR settings. But in good light, almost any of today's premium compacts are excellent. The differences show up in lower light, where the X10 has some advantage and the RX100 more advantage still. But the LX7 has some features that just fit me and my shooting preferences incredibly well and I don't really rely on compacts for low light shooting anyway, so it was a better choice for me. I suspect you'll love the X10.

-Ray

My GGS LCD protector just arrived in the mail from Hong Kong; took about a month, I believe. Now ready to give the LX7 a proper workout. Thanks, Ray, for the ongoing inspiration!

I didn't know you'd gotten one Chuck - I thought you were sitting tight with the LX3. Glad to hear - look forward to seeing what you do with it....

-Ray

I didn't know you'd gotten one Chuck - I thought you were sitting tight with the LX3. Glad to hear - look forward to seeing what you do with it....

-Ray

Ray, I caught one of those $299 specials at B&H; window closed right after I ordered it, and they had it on back order. They were very willing for me to cancel my order, as the price had gone back to $449. But I waited patiently....:)

I have a habit of buying and then selling far to quickly but the LX7 I just love. It was free which would normally spur me on to sell it for profit but i really want to keep this little jem. As mentioned before it is a very versatile camera with lots of settings to play with. I am tempted by the RX100 but I would not sell the LX7. I'mm feeling the same about my X-Pro1 too!!! Perhaps I'm getting more sensible in my old age!

Very nicely done, Ray - my own favorite is the black and white Inner Harbor "rays" shot - it would make a great advertisement for the area. :drinks:

When I had my LX5 I found that the yellow tones were quite strong but I got used to dealing with them by using auto white balance in LR. Now that was quite a while ago and maybe Panasonic doesn't employ the same filter or whatever it was... Either way - you've got the camera nailed down.(y)

My new LX-7

I bought my LX-7 for an overseas trip last October. It proved to be a very good choice. Light, compact, and easy to use. The jpegs are the best I've got from any camera so far. Here are some of my first efforts with the LX-7.

P1000009.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Trying out the camera in the garden at home.

P1000422.jpg

Toledo, Spain. Using aperture priority.

P1000151.jpg

Barcelona, Spain. A very wet day, of course.

P1000430.jpg

Historic bridge at Toledo, Spain.

P1000116.jpg

This shot was taken from the top deck of a moving tourist bus. The camera was so easy to use. I retired my trusty LX-2, which I called my holiday camera. The LX-7 was a great replacement. All these are jpegs with a little tweak in photoshop elements.
Cheers
DUD

You all did it to me again! Ordered a nice white LX7 yesterday (y)

That and a cheaply priced G1X from eBay.

You're as bad as me buying stuff!! I have just bought a Nikon D700 full frame lump of lead!!!!!:eek::doh::D It is rather good though!!:rolleyes:

Congrats on the LX7 though. Please post a pic of it when you get it as I have not seen it in white before.

Also I have started a dedicated LX7 group on Flickr here>

Ohh awesome Andy!!! I'm off to join now and I will post pics in about 5 days hopefully!!!!

Uber cool!! :D

If anyone is interested in seeing how much detail can be gathered by this camera, download this image (Portrait) and have a play in processing. I was surprised how much detail there was in the image.

Uber cool!! :D

If anyone is interested in seeing how much detail can be gathered by this camera, download this image (Portrait) and have a play in processing. I was surprised how much detail there was in the image.

As long as you're down somewhere in the neighborhood of base ISO (base is 80) and somewhere in the area of f4-5.6, the detail and clarity of this camera is wonderful. THAT'S where there's no penalty to the smaller sensor. Its good up to 200, pretty good to 400, and easily useable up to 800, but above 400, you simply don't get anything like that kind of detail, which other cameras can now give up up to about 3200 - 6400 (and no doubt higher for some full frame sensors). So in low light, you really need to rely on the fast lens on this camera to get the job done - the sensor just isn't up to it. And in marginal light you need to rely on the fast lens to keep the ISO down. But in good light, jeez, I can't find any downside to this camera.

-Ray

Back