Sony EVf speed

I just came back from my Leica dealer and tried the EVF on the M240 (I wanted to see what it was like since I have no access to anyone with an RX1) and even though I found the experience interesting it was impossible to work with in the sense that it would black out and remain blacked out for 2 secs before it refreshed....what is the experience with the RX! viewfinder...is it instantaneous or does it also go in black out mode and for how long? Thx for the help..again!

ww.ademetriades.com

Leica's EVF is an Olympus EVF. It may be a couple of generations behind current EVFs (someone please correct me on this if I am wrong)

Can you try a NEX 7 or 5n with the EVF attachment? If so, then you are getting closer to the Sony EVF technology. The RX1 EVF has the same resolution as the previous two, but it has more dynamic range and you will find it that it does not block the shadows or the highlights.

It definitively does not have a 2sec black out. I would say there is almost no black out.
Also, even at high ISO (more gain) the EVF remains fluid enough to judge focus and movement.

I haven't tried to leave the EVF on at all times.

What I have tried is to have the LCD off at all times. The EVF comes on as soon as you approach it or press the EVF/LCD button on the EVF.

The LCD also has the option of only displaying shooting info without live view. So you see a black screen with aperture, shutter speed, ISO, metering mode, etc as seen on this page:

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1 Review

I have just tried my EVF and LCD on my RX1 for you.

The black out on the LCD and EVF is the same. I just noticed this because I was curious as you asked.

It is about half a second. However, you can continue to shoot as fast as your finger allows you to until the buffer gets full.

Back