Leica Elmarit vs Summicron 28

I ordered the Elmarit 28 (new asph version) and should have it next week. I imagine it will practically live on my M8.2, while the Summarit 35 will be move from the M8.2 to the Monochrom, which is also due next week. I've always been a 35 guy. The Summarit 35 is gorgeous, by the way. Smooth transition of focus plane and lovely bokeh within the limits of its maximum aperture and focal length.

Be sure to post pictures wit the new 21 Summilux. I will look at them.... But must resist!

I spent all weeked shooting with just the elmarit 28 and the cron 35 and I don't know if I can part with these two lenses for the lux 21. While some people feel that the 28 is too contrasty, I like it b/c of this. IMO the cron 35 is such a good all around lens (in terms of FL and speed), that I don't know if I can give it up even for the lux 21. Size is also a factor, and one that maybe I didn't consider enough when considering trading in the 28 / 35 for the 21. Compared to my lux 50, the 28 and 35 are really small (literally half the size of the 50).

Mijo, I can feel where you are coming from. The 21 Summilux must be big. The 28 would really feel like a pancake.

Now, I can see where I am going... if I like the 28 added to the 50, maybe a 35 is in my crystal ball.

While some people feel that the 28 is too contrasty, I like it b/c of this....

I count myself among those who think the Elmarit is a particularly high contrast lens. And like you, that's one of the reasons it's a part of my kit. On the flip side, the CV 35mm f/2.5 Skopar is in my kit because its a low contrast lens.

I started with a 28mm Summicron ASPH, used it for a bit and sold it because of the size. Got the 28mm Elmarit ASPH next, used it for a bit and sold it also. Bought another 28mm Summicron ASPH and eventually sold it. The rendering of the 28mm Summicron is just not as clinical as the Elmarit Asph but it is bigger than the Elmarit. If I were to buy a 28mm again, I think I would rather go with the Elmarit just because of the size. However, I ended up buying a Zeiss 25mm f2.8. The 28mm FL is just too close to the 35mm and I prefer my 35mm.

Well...you are not as bad as me buying 50mm Sonnar formula lenses in Leica Mount.... Problem is, I keep way more than I sell... Maybe two-dozen or so...

I started with a 28mm Summicron ASPH, used it for a bit and sold it because of the size. Got the 28mm Elmarit ASPH next, used it for a bit and sold it also. Bought another 28mm Summicron ASPH and eventually sold it. The rendering of the 28mm Summicron is just not as clinical as the Elmarit Asph but it is bigger than the Elmarit. If I were to buy a 28mm again, I think I would rather go with the Elmarit just because of the size. However, I ended up buying a Zeiss 25mm f2.8. The 28mm FL is just too close to the 35mm and I prefer my 35mm.

That must be one fun ride.

Well...you are not as bad as me buying 50mm Sonnar formula lenses in Leica Mount.... Problem is, I keep way more than I sell... Maybe two-dozen or so...

2 dozens? Wow.

I've got a collection of 5cm/50mm Sonnars that spans from 1934 through to the C-Sonnar. 8 of them are converted from Contax mount to Leica.

Yes- I have to admit a bias towards one of a kind lenses that I made myself. Some are real surprises, like the Schneider-Karat Xenar 5cm F2.8, wartime vintage.

Attachments

• L1000132.jpg
    L1000132.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 601
Hopefully the question is not too basic... Can I do infrared on my Leica M-E, any specific lens required, by adding the infrared filter to the front of the lens? I have an old Nikon digital with the AA filter removed which I have been using for infrared, but did not think I can now do the same with my Leica! Thanks,

Hopefully the question is not too basic... Can I do infrared on my Leica M-E, any specific lens required, by adding the infrared filter to the front of the lens? I have an old Nikon digital with the AA filter removed which I have been using for infrared, but did not think I can now do the same with my Leica! Thanks,

I've been using the Monochrom with the Hoya R72 filter with no prob. I would presume the M-E and M9 would be fine likewise.

Back