Micro 4/3 E~p1 warning

It is my fault. I was trying to do a macro of a small spider on the door glass in our RV. There is a deep step that made it very difficult. Too many adjustments to control. Lens was swinging. I knew the bottom plate was very thin. Just too tight. Tripod plate had a pretty wide slot and alowed camera thin aluminum cover to pull. Camera is fine except for that. It does not look too bad. But will have to be repaired before placing on tripod again. I can do it. I will put some leather or other material on it to stop the swinging aroung problem.

The bottom plate of the E-P1 (and E-P2) is a very thin aluminimum pressing. The tripod screw mounting is fixed to the inside of the thin metal via way of a small mounting plate. It is a very poor pieced of design. A better design would have been to extend the chassis of the camera to contact the bottom plate and have the mount attached to the chassis.

It is easy enough to push the distored plate back into shape and the design of the tripod mount has a lot to do with the risk.

As for swining mounts, the soft rubber plates are the best, followed by cork and then the hard rubber ones. Unfortunately you rarely get a choice with a particular make of tripod.

Back