Micro 4/3 E-M1 vs GX7 Raw file comparison.

Name
Andy
I have the GX7 and am toying with the idea of replacing it with the E-M1. I have searched around the net and found that most reviews say the RAW files from both cameras are almost identical. If this is the case then I may as well keep the GX7. I love to edit RAW files so am interested to see if the files are really that close in the real world.

Thanks in advance.

I have both and unless I can pick the shot because the focal length of the lens gives it away (I tend to keep the 75mm on the EM1 and the 12-35 on the GX7), I wouldn't be able to see any difference otherwise, they are simply that close. (I shoot RAW)

...both house the same new Panasonic sensor I believe.

I wouldn't replace one for the other unless I really needed one of the few features that sets them apart......weather sealing, great video etc.

I had both for awhile and I agree with Joe. As close to identical as one could imagine. There was a time I seriously preferred Olympus files - raws as much as JPEG. But that time has passed. If they're not using the same sensor, they might as well be.

-Ray

The biggest change that I found in the E-M1 compared to previous micro 4/3 bodies is that Olympus got the (raw) colours right this time around; no more dealing with the hue and saturation of sky blues amongst other things. In fact, if it wasn't for a slightly higher tendency to blow out reds, I could be mistaken for thinking that the colours from the E-M1 raw files came out of my NX300.

Thanks guys. Looks like you have saved me a ton of cash!!! :D Although the EVF is nicer in the E-M1 and it has 5 axis IBIS. I think the money would be better spent on decent glass!

Thanks again :)

Back