DXO Optics Pro 8 Free

Barrie says, "DxO Optics Pro 8 was around for some time before Windows 8, so it's no surprise that it is not compatible."

Uh, Lawrence A. said it wouldn't install for him-not that it wasn't compatible.

It is installed and working fine for me in the 64 bit version of Win 8.1on a desktop PC. The 32 bit version is installed and working fine for me in the Windows 10 tech preview on an ASUS T100 Transformer with a 32 but processor.

So it is, indeed, compatible. I write this so other's won't bypass this great free offer based on your comment.

I currently use DXO v10 on my macs, but was looking for something that was still 32bit for my little Asus transformer running Win 8.1--now Win 10 tech preview. This offer sure solved a problem for me as the newer versions of Capture 1 and DXO both require 64 bit. Lightroom does run on 32 bit, but I was look for something that would let me do high quality work on RAW files on the little ASUS without having to do the whole import/export thing.

The important issue with this older, but free, version of DXO is that it doesn't have support for newer cameras released after it was superseded by newer versions. So you'll find support for the Sony NEX7 and the Olympus OMD EM5 for example, but not the Sony A6000 or the Oly EM1.

But if you use one of the supported cameras, this is a great deal. Just like the free Capture 1 (Lite) current version for Sony cameras is.

For those of you thinking this is a chance for a long-term trial of DXO, you should note that there are several newer features in Ver 10 of DXO and it runs MUCH faster. So if you like Ver 8 at all, then try a trial of Ver 10 before making a final decision.

Back