Stroll Dublin Bay strolls

tilman

All-Pro
since moving to Dublin 6 months ago, the bay at low tide is where we do most of our weekend walks.
At low tide the bay becomes this empty space... Like a 'wet desert' or a blank canvas. Not the most stimulating environment in itself - but the ever changing light and the ever changing details let you discover new things every time...

First up an establishing shot to set the scene (the rainbow isn't always there :) )

30340144845_02273a4e91_h.jpg
someone finding that pot of gold
by tilman paulin, on Flickr

and now some random impressions - in chronological order (from newest backwards to last year)

32144886394_c15161fe1f_b.jpg
Sunday morning walk

32158286153_ab73777010_b.jpg
Saturday afternoon walk

32728519785_fd77b74ea9_c.jpg
Untitled

32662855676_949ec920ec_c.jpg
Untitled

32531927256_2f274808f2_b.jpg
Saturday afternoon walk

32331284975_bdc15d8611_c.jpg
sunday walk

31346914484_34b6403016_c.jpg
sunday walk

30909486683_4b71b4bab5_k.jpg
Untitled

31297875441_19c45f9853_c.jpg
footsteps

30920936961_64fcd25477_c.jpg
perigee full moon (not quite)

25326227489_05cafe0813_c.jpg
Untitled

30822431531_4e9f6ef28f_c.jpg
Untitled

30644686835_fd7341fc94_c.jpg
Saturday afternoon walk

30527797992_ddae206d02_k.jpg
Saturday afternoon walk

30194728030_541096cc46_h.jpg
Halloween in Dublin

30238597531_b02d6a5701_h.jpg
Friday morning

29675410744_46bd09e61b_h.jpg
rise and shine :)

29420947444_32a27af3e6_b.jpg
Saturday evening walk

29629859260_a7db145638_k.jpg
Untitled

[QUOTE="Luke, post: 241023, member: 1531"
... good with the bad. :popcorm2:[/QUOTE]

If that was good enough advice for Laney Boggs then it's good enough advice for you too Luke.

Lovely shots. Admired these on your Flickr thread but didn't realise that it was Dublin.

Gorgeous! Because this place is less (edit - originally said more spectacular, but meant to say less here) spectacular than what you were shooting in the PNW, it's brought out a totally different part of your creativity personality. The PNW landscapes were so spectacular you would often do a great job of framing the shot for the best composition but then mostly let the landscape speak for itself. That usually produced spectacular results, but this subtle landscape requires a totally different way of seeing and it's beautiful to see what you do with it. Generally more focused on the brilliant little details, with more narrow DOF work and more atmospheric shots. The landscape is doing less of the work and the photographer is doing more and it's still working brilliantly! Many great ones but I think my favorite is the eight shot with just one narrow ridge of sand in focus in a field of blue ripples of OOF sand - beautiful!

I used to think you were a really fine photographer - now I think you're at LEAST two really fine photographers and who knows what ELSE you've got up your sleeve?!?! Thanks for sharing these!

-Ray

Last edited:
Some great images there. I remember watching the Perseid meteor shower on that beach a few years ago, the most spectacular meteor display I've ever seen - several huge fireballs across the bay.

Those twin chimneys of the power station are a real landmark.

-R

Thank you, Ray, for the high praise! :)

I think you're spot on with your thoughts. My photography in the PNW was definitely more of the "window to a place"-type than over here. I did do some of the more emotional impressions too, but not to this degree. It's hard to focus on the small, emotional things, when you're surrounded by spectacular "big things". :)
That's where repeat-visits to any place are incredibly valuable. You can get the "big" and more documentary photos done first... and then loosen up for the more intimate takes...

Sometimes (most of the time, probably) you need to be forced out of your comfort zone to develop and see things in different ways... And as with anything - you have to allow yourself the time it takes...

Gorgeous! Because this place is more spectacular than what you were shooting in the PNW, it's brought out a totally different part of your creativity personality. The PNW landscapes were so spectacular you would often do a great job of framing the shot for the best composition but then mostly let the landscape speak for itself. That usually produced spectacular results, but this subtle landscape requires a totally different way of seeing and it's beautiful to see what you do with it. Generally more focused on the brilliant little details, with more narrow DOF work and more atmospheric shots. The landscape is doing less of the work and the photographer is doing more and it's still working brilliantly! Many great ones but I think my favorite is the eight shot with just one narrow ridge of sand in focus in a field of blue ripples of OOF sand - beautiful!

I used to think you were a really fine photographer - now I think you're at LEAST two really fine photographers and who knows what ELSE you've got up your sleeve?!?! Thanks for sharing these!

-Ray

An epic series of wonderfully crafted photographs. Worthy of a book for the coffee table. They gave me a very powerful tug in the gut which seemed to go from awe to a slight unease. I think the unease comes from my fear of the sea and someone being out there on their own....cut off by the tide. Anyway.....bravo!

Thank you Peter! I appreciate your kind words!
Maybe I can ease your unease a bit :) The bay is very flat for a very large area. The "walking on water"-photos are usually taken just on waters edge (with me still being on "dry" sand). Going further out is probably neither advisable nor possible.

Checking the tide tables before you head out is a must - and easily done on a smartphone these days. (And then basing how far you go on that).
Of course one must advise caution. But with a bit of experience of the area and knowledge of where (and when!) the water comes back it's rather safe. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
These really are lovely. The pumpkin shot was unexpected. I've only spend a week in Ireland but was amazed by the number of rainbows I saw while I was there. The correct atmospheric conditions must be more common. Have you noticed this or have I just lived in rainbow-rare places?

These really are lovely. The pumpkin shot was unexpected. I've only spend a week in Ireland but was amazed by the number of rainbows I saw while I was there. The correct atmospheric conditions must be more common. Have you noticed this or have I just lived in rainbow-rare places?

I couldn't say for sure. If by "correct atmospheric conditions" you mean "very changeable weather with all seasons in a day" - then yes :-D

So far it seems to be a seasonal thing. We saw a lot of rainbows just after we arrived - August until October. Since then they've been much rarer.
But now that I think of it, so was the sun. So this isn't such a surprising revelation after all (no sun -> no rainbows) :)

P.S.: oh and the pumpkin shot :-D That was about a week before Halloween... washed up in the bay. It's always good to have a camera with you - even if it's just your phone :)

since moving to Dublin 6 months ago, the bay at low tide is where we do most of our weekend walks.
At low tide the bay becomes this empty space... Like a 'wet desert' or a blank canvas. Not the most stimulating environment in itself - but the ever changing light and the ever changing details let you discover new things every time...

First up an establishing shot to set the scene (the rainbow isn't always there :) )

View attachment 123894someone finding that pot of gold by tilman paulin, on Flickr

and now some random impressions - in chronological order (from newest backwards to last year)

View attachment 123895Sunday morning walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 123896Saturday afternoon walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 123897Untitled by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 123898Untitled by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 123899Saturday afternoon walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 123900sunday walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 123901sunday walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 123902Untitled by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 123903footsteps by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 123904perigee full moon (not quite) by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 123905Untitled by tilman paulin, on Flickr

View attachment 123906Untitled by tilman paulin, on Flickr