1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dress Rehearsal Shoot without the Lighting Engineer

Discussion in 'Color' started by Covey22, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Covey22

Covey22 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 3, 2012
    ...equals a near disaster. The "lighting" was entirely safety overhead flourescents - yikes. 180@f2.8 ISO12800 was showing serious underexposure.

Fortunately, I had the EF-42 flash in my side pocket exactly for moments like this. What should have been only a mildly challenging evening at ambient high ISO became a battery swap marathon. I must have really been thinking ahead as I found my bottom compartment chock full of loose but fresh AAs. The XT-10 and the EF held up pretty well, but that was an additional complication I could have done without. Now I've got to go through the culls and find all the Red Eyes...

BRES_SEUSICAL-004-LREdit.

BRES_SEUSICAL-037-LREdit.

BRES_SEUSICAL-083-LREdit.

BRES_SEUSICAL-153-Edit-LREdit.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Ya, tough lighting situation but you "powered" through

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Bobby Tingle

Bobby Tingle Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    That is one of the worst lighting situations to deal with. Nice job.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. john m flores

john m flores All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    Oh my! Glad you had the flash and batteries!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Jun 20, 2012
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Oh dear god, yes. 90% sure I'd wind up making an "artistic call" and going b&w there. -wink-

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Tim Williams

Tim Williams Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida
    Timothy Williams
    These are really good . Years ago when my youngest daughter was in Dance competition there was no flash allowed and my keeper rate was around 10-20% even with the then very good D300. When I was able to afford the D700 it was a lot better. I certainly learned to use spot metering. Great job here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.