Sigma DP2 Quattro review

Chris2500dk

Top Veteran
Is it my imagination or does the foliage look a bit less detailed than when shot with the Merrills? Could it be the consequence of the lower resolving bottom two layers?

If they were taken as jpegs that might explain it. Just have to wait for reviews with images.

I'd be quite surprised if the new model is appreciably worse than the old model. The only time that usually happens, the extra megapickles of the new generation often offsets any marginal increases in noise, or decreases in low light performance. My Pentax K-3 lags behind the older K-5 in certain tests, but the extra megapickles make up for it. And the Panny GH2 has marginally worse still image test scores than the GH1, but it has more megapickles and much better video.

My initial impression on viewing these test photos is that the Q is cleaner looking, but has lower micro-contrast. The Merrill seems better in resolving fine details, which actually can be a problem when shooting pics of people.

But, without some raw files to look at, and a version is SPP 6 that actually works, it's pretty hard to say.

Right now, I don't see the Q as being a great leap forward. Maybe more/better pics will change my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using SeriousCompacts

I have read a review that said the newer Quattro is closer now to a Bayer sensor and kind of lost that Foveon mystique. It's a trade-off. I'd rather keep the older Merrills. As for pictures of people, there is a setting in the Sigm Pr Photo software that allows the luminance to be brought down or another setting, one of those helps soften people portraits. Man, I wish someone would write a great book about these awesome cameras.

I must have tried checking out a Quattro at the Sigma displays in camera stores about 15 times. I've never found one that powers on. Are those displays supposed to work or are they dummy cameras?

I can't write a book, but I don't think that the Quattros are anything like cameras with Bayer sensors. The "per pixel sharpness" is simply on another level.

Here are two shots taken with teh dp2 Quattro.

15800443104_ed23457d9f_c.jpg

15802898133_b29ca649a4_c.jpg

Try as I might I cant bring out pixels on the DP3M of mine, same with Quattros but its not the same even with my 38MP A7R.

Try as I might I cant bring out pixels on the DP3M of mine, same with Quattros but its not the same even with my 38MP A7R.

What do you mean? That you can't replicate the Foveon output with Bayer-Sensor cameras? If that is what you mean, then I have to agree. IMO the Quattro is not dissimilar to the Merrills in terms of "per pixel sharpness". Here is a 100% crop of the 2nd photo:
DP2_Q0029.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

What do you mean? That you can't replicate the Foveon output with Bayer-Sensor cameras? If that is what you mean, then I have to agree. IMO the Quattro is not dissimilar to the Merrills in terms of "per pixel sharpness". Here is a 100% crop of the 2nd photo:
DP2_Q0029.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Exactly what I meant, the Bayesians can't touch the Foveon in IQ and resolution, even medium format bayesians have failed to impress me.

Back