Film D'oh....

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Name
Martin Connolly
After carefully selecting shots over the last several weeks to take with my Minox 35GL loaded with Agfa APX100, I went to rewind the roll this morning for postage to the lab. Rewinding took about 3 turns of the handle until it went slack....blasted thing hadn't wound on properly, had it? It seems the winding knob feels exactly the same whether there is film correctly loaded or not. So now I need to get a leader retriever (I threw one away about 6 months ago, double d'oh!) and start again...

@theoldsmithy Keep an eye on the top of the rewind spool when advancing the first couple of frames; also, it's just a little harder (and you can hear a tiny sound) to pull the advance lever twice if film's inserted. I did something very similar a short time ago. If in doubt, I check with the rewind nob (carefully ...) - and yes, I keep a leader retriever ready ...

M.

@theoldsmithy Keep an eye on the top of the rewind spool when advancing the first couple of frames; also, it's just a little harder (and you can hear a tiny sound) to pull the advance lever twice if film's inserted. I did something very similar a short time ago. If in doubt, I check with the rewind nob (carefully ...) - and yes, I keep a leader retriever ready ...

M.
Thanks Matt, good tip!

Funny how things turn out. I was totally certain I had incerted the tab into the take-up spool correctly - so I only realised it wasn't the case until frame 40 ...

Insight doesn't help if it isn't applied. That said, I also blame the recessed rewind crank of the ZM - it's not visible during normal operation. Still, curious that this should happen shortly after the heads-up from you, Martin.

Anyhow, I re-inserted the film; it's actually testing time for the Voigtländer VM 21mm f/4 Pancake. Should I have been mislead into thinking it wasn't exposed, I'm in for some interesting finds once it's developed ... Anyhow, it's irritating - I had taken quite a couple of interesting shots (a thunderstorm in the making ... I had actually to run for cover to escape it when it finally hit).

M.

Back