D'OH!: the one that got away...

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
...or most frustrating out-takes if you'd prefer. A space for us all to post those shots that, if only something were just a little different, you would have bagged a classic shot.

I'll kick us off with one from this morning. I had one shot - even on continuous shooting - and the rest are better focussed but of his butt! If only I got the focus, there'd be enough in the image to do something with the framing and composition :doh:

P1030955SIJ.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I will be quicker - and quieter - next time BB...and then we'll bag us a wombat! Not a shot for a GRD when it arrives though I'm afraid. ;)

Anyone else?

Meanwhile, back on topic, I went on a trip to Borneo at the end of last year and got more fantastic but out of focus shots than I'd have liked! Leaping proboscis monkeys - you'd be sat there thinking, "He isn't really going to jump in the water is he?" (It was always a 'he').

I'd drop my camera and whoof, the little bugger would dive into the river and I'd miss the shot. But I learnt my lesson. I'd keep on the next one until my arm was dropping off with the weight of the Nikkor 300/4 and pan down following the monkey, even hitting the point of the splash. But the AF had picked up the leaves and branches and not the critter. Aaaaargh.

Ah the old post the one that got away story. Let me tell you of the one that got away and I don’t even have an image of it. When we were first married we took a vacation to Quebec City. We stayed at the Château Frontenac in lower town. One day we decided to nip on over to a local bistro for breakfast. Doreen was surprised that I didn’t bring my camera. We walked past a nun standing in front of a book store and over her head was a sign that said “Lady Chatterly is Here!” I made the return dash to get my camera, I swear that I broke the four minute mile, but I was not fast enough. So I now carry a camera every where in hopes of finding that nun.

Ah the old post the one that got away story. Let me tell you of the one that got away and I don’t even have an image of it. When we were first married we took a vacation to Quebec City. We stayed at the Château Frontenac in lower town. One day we decided to nip on over to a local bistro for breakfast. Doreen was surprised that I didn’t bring my camera. We walked past a nun standing in front of a book store and over her head was a sign that said “Lady Chatterly is Here!” I made the return dash to get my camera, I swear that I broke the four minute mile, but I was not fast enough. So I now carry a camera every where in hopes of finding that nun.
That is a cracking tale Grant, and a valuable lesson learned the only way it truly sticks....through the hard anguish of experience.

Certainly had the ingredients for a classic shot mate. Now you could have convinced the good new missus to keep the nun detained with idle chatter.....a request for a prayer of sorts or compliments on the cut of her habit or the glean of her rosary perhaps. ;)

Back