Dippin' my toe into the Superzoom pool...

Yeats

All-Pro
Name
Chris
7 years ago I had a Fuji S6000fd, 'twas a lovely bridge/superzoom/prosumer/yadayada camera.

Since then, I've primarily used Pentax DSLR's along with a few P&S "assistants", and most recently Panasonic LX5/LX7 exclusively.

I've been thinking for quite while about a superzoom for wildlife shooting. I managed to snag a new Nikon P510 for $290/shipped, which is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

My last long telephoto setup was a Pentax K-x + Sigma 170-500. It was fun, but a tad bulky and drew far too much attention when out in public.

:th_salute:

7 years ago I had a Fuji S6000fd, 'twas a lovely bridge/superzoom/prosumer/yadayada camera.

Since then, I've primarily used Pentax DSLR's along with a few P&S "assistants", and most recently Panasonic LX5/LX7 exclusively.

I've been thinking for quite while about a superzoom for wildlife shooting. I managed to snag a new Nikon P510 for $290/shipped, which is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

My last long telephoto setup was a Pentax K-x + Sigma 170-500. It was fun, but a tad bulky and drew far too much attention when out in public.

will look forward to seeing the results! I love a good superzoom, my FZ100 isnt bad (I hated it for a long time because of the small sensor) but I am champing at the bit for a Fuji X-S something.

S6000fd was a lovely camera
superzooms are a bit addictive ;)

will look forward to seeing the results! I love a good superzoom, my FZ100 isnt bad (I hated it for a long time because of the small sensor) but I am champing at the bit for a Fuji X-S something.

I have my doubts that there will be an X-S something... from what I gather, the X-S1 was not a good seller, and the orb issue and wobbly lens barrel combined with the high price turned off potential buyers. Fuji has just introduced the HS50exr, with a slightly larger-than-average 1/2" sensor and 1000mm lens. I'd be interested in that.

I had an S6000fd as well. In fact, I've been going through some older photos and am really pleased with some of the images I was able to make with it (despite not knowingly nearly enough about photography at the time to use it to its full potential)

Nice, looking forward to seeing some wildlife shots with it! :)
I just bought me a secondhand Samsung WB750 compact with 18x zoom, in the hope that it'll allow me to shoot some wildlife without getting too much in the way when I'm not using it. Gonna be a challenge to keep stable though, with its compact camera shape!

I had an S6000fd as well. In fact, I've been going through some older photos and am really pleased with some of the images I was able to make with it (despite not knowingly nearly enough about photography at the time to use it to its full potential)

Ditto. It's really the camera that got me super-enthused about photography.

The Panasonic Lumix FZ200 is superb!! Only 24x zoom but has f/2.8 throughout the entire focal length! and better IS than just about any other camera!

I agree. If I were looking for a superzoom as my singular camera, the FZ200 would be at the top of my list. However, since I already have the fabulous LX7, I'm looking for more reach than 600mm. Also, the Nikon P510 is sort of an experiment for me, to see if I actually like the form factor. And, it's $150 cheaper. ;)

Nice, looking forward to seeing some wildlife shots with it! :)
I just bought me a secondhand Samsung WB750 compact with 18x zoom, in the hope that it'll allow me to shoot some wildlife without getting too much in the way when I'm not using it. Gonna be a challenge to keep stable though, with its compact camera shape!

A couple years ago I had a Samsung SL420 P&S. It took absolutely lovely photos, and had significantly better AF and IQ than previous Samsung digicams I had tried. I hope your WB750 turns out just as lovely photos for you... and please post some when you get the chance! :)

Yeats,

I am very well pleased with FZ150. 24-600 equivalent in a package about the size of Nikon 3100 with kit lens.

I think you will enjoy the superzoom.

Cheers, Jock

I have my doubts that there will be an X-S something... from what I gather, the X-S1 was not a good seller, and the orb issue and wobbly lens barrel combined with the high price turned off potential buyers. Fuji has just introduced the HS50exr, with a slightly larger-than-average 1/2" sensor and 1000mm lens. I'd be interested in that.
Yes, they introduced the 1/2" sensor with one of the earlier models... HS20 or HS30, cant remember which. I would seriously consider one of those if there arent going to be any more X-Ses. Prices on those have not dropped at all over here, whereas the "lesser" models have. I like the 1/2" sensor, I had it in the F550EXR which I sold and which now, I wish I had not. May even get a newer model.

Back