Digital Asset Management for Luminar

Its on the way!

It's time: Re-think your post-processing workflow via @wearemacphun | Skylum Blog (ex-Macphun)

I'm so glad. I'm still using Luminar as my photo editor of choice on MacOS. I've been struggling with which asset manager to use, and have been flipflopping back and forth between several. I've been waiting for this to come. From the blog article, it seems that its going to be a separate entity, rather than integrated in Luminar. I got that sense from the fact that its going to be free for current Luminar owners, but will carry a cost of its own in the future.

So if you have been stalling on a purchase, it may be time to make the jump.

Well Sue, it most definitely free to those that have a current version. That makes me happy. If it turns out to be good I might never return to LR ( apart from using its shadow enhancer) luminar’s is still lacking in that dept.

Will put Luminar again on my hard disk. Did removed it because it got no use, but I’m curious if they have a surprise for us, I removed it because it had to many options I never used, I’m not so in computer work, Made some macros for black and white in Affinity and that’s it. For colour I jump to Picktorial where I use my presets. But let’s see what the near future brings us.

After downloading it again (had removed it) there were some changes, i think. De UI is still very " busy" but the results were not bad at all. The sliders are sometimes " rough" it's for me not easy to find the right point. They react a bit slow, i have to wait a second to see the results, than go back or up again, and wait. The sharpening is still to rough to my liking.
Nik software works fine with Luminar, better than with Affinity. Although I'm wondering what Nik is need for when you have Luminar. So now waiting for the next update and see if it's getting simpler and faster.

I noticed when installing there were three choices, did choose the last one. Don't know exactly what the difference is with the other possibilities as I did not tried them.

This is from the Skylum website that's given me hope . . . . .
If that's the case, then we need to rethink the interface. It needs to get out of the way. It needs to be less cluttered. You want to see your photo (front-and-center), and the only other things on your screen should be the things that solve specific problems. There's no need for lots of features you won't or don't use. The team at Skylum knows that and is building future versions of Luminar with that in mind.

Share your findings Sue.

I had to reinstall Elements, because I completely failed to find where the LR plugins went (and in any case, LR plugins are *not* compatible with Luminar). Elements stores its plugins (and so does Nik) in a folder inside its own folder in the Applications directory on a Mac. I imagine something similar for PC. If there is no host application, plugins are not installed at all, so you will need a host, even if its just a trial. You can save out the plugins folder and keep it for later.

A word to the wise. Not *all* PS plugins are Luminar compatible. Topaz and Nik are... I tried DXO Viewpoint and it is not. Now I have a useless entry in the plugins dropdown menu.

Back