Leica Did I drink the Leica Kool-aid...

Congratulations with your M8! I finally could afford my own in december, and really happy with it so far...

So Amin, are you starting up a Leica forum? Sign me up!

Hi Vidar, I've been enjoying the Leica M thread here at S.C. a lot and put out a feeler about starting a Leica forum, but not too many "sign me up" responses. Glad to know you'd be on board!

Honestly I'm a bit put off the idea of starting a Leica forum by the many discussions I'm seeing of the new M in various forums. So much dithering about CCD vs CMOS and whether the new M delivers image quality wise. The samples look great to me, and I'm sure it's a wonderful camera. I'm equally sure there will be flaws to poke at, but focusing on camera flaws isn't much fun to me.

Susan, the D-LUX 4 is a great camera - hope you enjoy it!

As much as I love the forums that you're creating, Amin, I'm wondering if this is 'saturating the market' a bit? A number of well established Leica forums already exist, and sometimes I wonder if a SC-Leica forum would be mostly populated by us!

Having said that, I'd be up for it, too. :)

I haven't spent a lot of time in them, but it seems to me that the established forums for Leica users can be a little bit rough sometimes. Maybe there is room for a smaller, kinder place?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Congratulations with your M8! I finally could afford my own in december, and really happy with it so far...

So Amin, are you starting up a Leica forum? Sign me up!

But I will never sell my M2!
8460324055_fbfa0b6c91_c.jpg

Leica M2 with Summicron 50 and Voigtlander lightmeter by VidarFoto, on Flickr

Pretty pretty. How do you like the lightmeter? I am looking for a shoe mount low profile for that. Heard it works fairly well but has a perpetually falling off battery cover. What are your opinions?

I like "The Voigtlander VC Meter II" alot, I have not regretted buying it. In my experience it gives accurate metering, and fits very nice in the shoe mount on a classical styled rangefinder/ SLR

And the battery cover has never fallen of my "VC Meter":)

Maybe I will save my pocket change for one then. Last week I was out with my Yashica 635 testing a first roll through it and carried my dslr to meter LOL. I just want an accurate little something to shoe on the camera. In the case of my rangefinder though, I will also need a double shoe adapter because some of my lenses use finders as well. Finder and meter would have to sit next to each other.

A handheld meter is much better than a shoe mount meter, both in terms of accuracy and speed. I would look at an incident light meter from Gossen or Sekonic.

Update: The M8 arrived yesterday, and I actually like it a LOT more than I thought I would. Much of the credit has to go to the 35/2.0 Biogon, which has to be one of the best lenses I've ever used. I have a Voigtlander 28/2.0 en route, but I'm starting to think the Biogon is going to just stay on the camera - it's that good.

A few of my snaps from yesterday/today (keep in mind I only had about 20 min to use the camera and didn't go anyplace interesting):

8550609562_9e789b0d0a_b.png

L1006575 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

8552273631_8a1e5334db_b.jpg

L1006660 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

8549510767_edb4256df1_b.png

L1006589 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

8552274161_cfffd4059c_b.jpg

L1006676 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

View attachment 66454
L1006641 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

I hope you have an ice axe and some crampons. You are on a slippery slope.

For having the camera for such a short time, it looks like it is gelling quickly.

The Zeiss 35/2.0 Biogon is truly remarkable. Zero distortion as far as I can tell. Sharp wide open. Edge to edge, corner to corner sharp at moderate apertures. No focus shift. Haven't noticed any field curvature. Pleasing out of focus rendition. Flare resistant. Superb build and feel. If there is a better 35mm lens out there, I haven't tried it, and I don't need it.

Back